Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You'll enjoy this one [MENTION=2878]Woodchip[/MENTION].

Alex Rodriguez $250,000,000 baseball player, has been caught with PED's.

They got him because even though only his code name was on all the evidence.
Just to make sure there was no confusion, they wrote (Alex Rodriguez) next to it :lol: :facepalm:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
30.5 miles, 3 climbs in near enough bang on 3 hours.

View attachment 39243

Getting better.
Good stuff, what's going to be your tipping point, distance wise?

I absolutely guarantee you'll do that route a couple more times, maybe even improve on your time, without really trying.
Then one day you will have a dog of a ride, it'll feel never ending, and go on for days, for no real reason.

Just chalk it up and move on, it'll just be one of those things, that I'm sure everybody here will testify too.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Yep. What I'm tending to do now is do the route in reverse for a bit of variety next time out. I might do it this way another 5 times before thinking about the next step. Or I might leave it at that and review after the HH 40 miler which gets more appealing every day. Apart from the odd road to cross and lend of my pump, I did it non stop, certainly well after the climbs which I thought I might struggle with. Loads of bikes out today. Saw my first one at about 7.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Then one day you will have a dog of a ride, it'll feel never ending, and go on for days, for no real reason.

Just chalk it up and move on, it'll just be one of those things, that I'm sure everybody here will testify too.

absolutely.
i felt like giving my bike away last week, but after a wonderful ride today all is well in the world!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Oh dear, crap result from Albion today and after this mornings disappointing ride that I ended up cutting short as well I'm predicting a shocking start for my Tour of Qatar team to round the weekend off.

I've now a game of 'hunt the creak' to look forward to. No movement on the headset and I can't find any frame cracks so it's a question of giving the crankset a good going over now I suppose as the creaking comes when I put pressure on the pedals. Hoping I don't need a new bottom bracket.

Good to hear Motogull and manintheblackpajamas had a good day though. Better man than me as the weather was another thing that spoilt my ride today as it was much colder and windier than I'd expected.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You can't beat a niche within a niche:-

The Bike Show from Resonance FM | Podcast and blog of the worlds most popular bicycling radio show, rolling since 2004

On the eve of Kraftwerk’s eight night residency at the Tate Modern, Jack is joined by David Buckley, music writer and author of a new biography of the German electronic pop pioneers. Among the revelations in his book is evidence that a serious obsession with cycling contributed to the slowing of the band’s musical output in the 1980s and, ultimately, the break-up of the group’s classic line-up. Jack and David talk about Kraftwerk’s journey from experimental music-making to the pinnacle of influence over pop, rock, hip-hop and dance music as well as their love affair with riding their bikes.
I listened to this, this morning.

I'm not a KW fan, in fairness I'm not really the most musical of people, full stop.

Anyway I really enjoyed this.
All The Bike Show's output seems to be very Ovaltine cardie and slippers which is meant as a compliment, and this was a nice stroll through KW's history.

Unsurprisingly I didn't know quite how much they were shaped by cycling.

I recommend it to the house.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've now a game of 'hunt the creak' to look forward to. No movement on the headset and I can't find any frame cracks so it's a question of giving the crankset a good going over now I suppose as the creaking comes when I put pressure on the pedals. Hoping I don't need a new bottom bracket.
Saddle and stem is always a good place to start.
Take them out, check over the saddle, clean up and re grease the stem, and see where that gets you.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I listened to this, this morning.

I'm not a KW fan, in fairness I'm not really the most musical of people, full stop.

Anyway I really enjoyed this.
All The Bike Show's output seems to be very Ovaltine cardie and slippers which is meant as a compliment, and this was a nice stroll through KW's history.

Unsurprisingly I didn't know quite how much they were shaped by cycling.

I recommend it to the house.

Thanks, I'll give that a listen as I like Kraftwerk.

Now, if I could go really niché and pretend that I know Miguel Ángel Rubiano is a big music fan, especially liking Cumbia music of course, then I could recommend Senor Coconut's Kraftwerk cover work to the house. Oh sod it, here's the track that matters anyway:

Senor Coconut - Tour de France - YouTube

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Saddle and stem is always a good place to start.
Take them out, check over the saddle, clean up and re grease the stem, and see where that gets you.

Funnily enough I will be taking the seatpost out anyway this weekend as I want get it on the electronic scales. I'm going to buy a carbon seatpost eventually to smooth out the ride but want to know the weight of what I have first so I can compare when sourcing new. The creak does feel/sound like it's coming from the bottom bracket region though to me, although it's bloody hard to tell with these things.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Funnily enough I will be taking the seatpost out anyway this weekend as I want get it on the electronic scales. I'm going to buy a carbon seatpost eventually to smooth out the ride but want to know the weight of what I have first so I can compare when sourcing new. The creak does feel/sound like it's coming from the bottom bracket region though to me, although it's bloody hard to tell with these things.
They always do, that's just the nature and acoustics of bike frames.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Am I the only one looking at The Big Board and seeing a 'dirty cleats' thread and opening it expecting to see some sound friendly advice on how best to keep them clean? :lol:

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Am I the only one looking at The Big Board and seeing a 'dirty cleats' thread and opening it expecting to see some sound friendly advice on how best to keep them clean? :lol:
It's all kicking off, going to turn into a Jamie #3. :lolol:

Anyways, how long after the deadline, does the race start? Is it the same for all races? ???

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't think I could cope in such a flat landscape with no green or countryside.

[tweet]297678464503386112[/tweet]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh I'm a little concerned I've only had to make the one team change since I threw the names together straight after the TDU, and that was the Sagan change, everybody had to do.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Might have to read the weather report before each stage, just to see how selective it's likely to be and which sprinters are likely not to make the selection at the finish I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here