Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I tried the pink grapefruit on Sunday and actually enjoyed it. I mixed it in 600mm, rather than the 500 they suggest. Maybe that made it more palatable, or maybe I was just desperate for anything.

I suspect the latter!

But then again I can't stand grapefruit. I just don't get it, utterly disgusting as far as I'm concerned.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Edgy Warp Films eyes U.S. entre | Variety

That bold spirit is evident in its hefty production slate for 2013, which includes three films budgeted at more than $9 million, at least twice as expensive as anything Warp has previously attempted:

• "Tommy," scripted by Billy Ivory, is a biopic about British cycling hero Tommy Simpson, who died in the saddle on the 1967 Tour de France while doped to the gills.

We could have a geeks outing to the cinema!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Edgy Warp Films eyes U.S. entre | Variety

That bold spirit is evident in its hefty production slate for 2013, which includes three films budgeted at more than $9 million, at least twice as expensive as anything Warp has previously attempted:

• "Tommy," scripted by Billy Ivory, is a biopic about British cycling hero Tommy Simpson, who died in the saddle on the 1967 Tour de France while doped to the gills.

We could have a geeks outing to the cinema!

Get on to it!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Most of them tend to be on bigger roads with no traffic lights and the turns are either left handers or at roundabouts. Think the nearest one to you is on the a259 (?) between pevensey and cooden. Eastbourne rovers organise one there on a thurs night from April to end of August. Other sussex courses used for midweek evening tts are on the a22 at east hoathley, the a264 at rusper, the a24 at washington and the steyning bypass. Seriously, if you're even halfway interested, give it a go. It's addictive!

Thanks for that. That makes sense - the Norman's Bay (Star Inn) road is a lovely ride with no junctions or traffic lights and hardly any traffic. Would be a bummer to get caught waiting at the little level crossing though. Unless they go on the A259, but I wouldn't fancy taking my chances there on the marsh road as it's full of idiot drivers booting it and an accident hotspot.

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
Thanks for that. That makes sense - the Norman's Bay (Star Inn) road is a lovely ride with no junctions or traffic lights and hardly any traffic. Would be a bummer to get caught waiting at the little level crossing though. Unless they go on the A259, but I wouldn't fancy taking my chances there on the marsh road as it's full of idiot drivers booting it and an accident hotspot.

Yep, afraid it's the a259 You just have to sort of get your head down and assume the drivers won't rear-end you. Much like most of the riding round here really!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yep, afraid it's the a259 You just have to sort of get your head down and assume the drivers won't rear-end you. Much like most of the riding round here really!

That's me out then. I ride on the occasional A road, parts of the A259 being one of them, but that marsh road section is a no no for me I'm afraid, given the choice - absolute loons on that stretch and in fact I saw a BMW with it's front end caved in along there whilst driving to Brighton this morning. The Star Inn road that runs behind it is a lovely ride on the other hand. The A21 is another road I'd be extremely reluctant to cycle along, and I'm not a nervous road user by nature.

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
Yes, fair dos. It's a discussion that pops up frequently on time trialling forums - why do we risk racing on roads that most of us wouldn't risk training on? The irony is that the busier roads are inevitably the faster roads... The roads that we use down here are actually pretty safe compared to the really fast courses in the midlands and further North (from what I've heard, at least). It's not for everyone, I guess.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Yes, fair dos. It's a discussion that pops up frequently on time trialling forums - why do we risk racing on roads that most of us wouldn't risk training on? The irony is that the busier roads are inevitably the faster roads... The roads that we use down here are actually pretty safe compared to the really fast courses in the midlands and further North (from what I've heard, at least). It's not for everyone, I guess.

Testers!! There are some crazy courses in the Midlands - the problem is that the traffic is such a benefit. The drag you get from a lorry whizzing past you at 70 is pretty helpful.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

Certainly not. I was never one for the early mornings going up and down a dual carriageway. That bloke would be seriously screwed with even the slightest tap of a break.

I used to race with a guy who was knocked off by an flapping lorry mudflap in a TT on the old F5 course (on the A5 near Milton Keynes). A course which, incidentally, used the much loved tactic of starting with a mile long descent that you didn't have to go back up again - no wonder I did a 22 as a 13 year old!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You can't beat a niche within a niche:-

The Bike Show from Resonance FM | Podcast and blog of the worlds most popular bicycling radio show, rolling since 2004

On the eve of Kraftwerk’s eight night residency at the Tate Modern, Jack is joined by David Buckley, music writer and author of a new biography of the German electronic pop pioneers. Among the revelations in his book is evidence that a serious obsession with cycling contributed to the slowing of the band’s musical output in the 1980s and, ultimately, the break-up of the group’s classic line-up. Jack and David talk about Kraftwerk’s journey from experimental music-making to the pinnacle of influence over pop, rock, hip-hop and dance music as well as their love affair with riding their bikes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My non fantasy mate says Cav will miss Qatar. :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My non fantasy mate says Cav will miss Qatar. :shrug:
Shows how little he knows, t'is a shame he wouldn't play fantasy :lol:

[tweet]297245888735240192[/tweet]

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
I did a 22 as a 13 year old!

Wow!

On the subject of gift hills, there's a new F course up near Aylesbury that I'm hoping to have a go on this season - apparently there's a mile long descent halfway into the course that you somehow manage to avoid going back up again!

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Wow!

On the subject of gift hills, there's a new F course up near Aylesbury that I'm hoping to have a go on this season - apparently there's a mile long descent halfway into the course that you somehow manage to avoid going back up again!

Is it the one on the a41 near Tring? I grew up right by there (riding for the Hemel club). Apparently there's lightning times to be had there.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
30.5 miles, 3 climbs in near enough bang on 3 hours.

020213.jpg

Getting better.

Went out with car key but wife needed it. Oops. Need 3 points to cheer me up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here