Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Saddle and stem is always a good place to start.
Take them out, check over the saddle, clean up and re grease the stem, and see where that gets you.

Blimey SB, you are officially my cycling maintenance Guru! :kiss:

There was indeed a creak coming from the saddle after all. Went ahead with a crankset test anyway by standing on the pedals in both horizontal positions and there's no creak down there.

I now have a creak free saddle, with grease in all the right places and the confirmation that I have an alloy 27.2mm seatpost that weighs in at 227g. Even put the clamp on the scales for fun too and that came in at 25g (with bolt). Will have a brief ride out tomorrow just to confirm that there's no creaks coming from anywhere else.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey SB, you are officially my cycling maintenance Guru! :kiss: Will have a brief ride out tomorrow just to confirm that there's no creaks coming from anywhere else.
Let's just wait and see, shall we!

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
By the looks of the warzone going on The Big Board I think it's time for another utopia picture

MTB-Passportes-Week-June-2011-69-0-0.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm certain I will have the entire event won by lunchtime.

I just had to swap 3 pointers but other than that I doubt I'll have to touch my team :lol:

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
Is it the one on the a41 near Tring? I grew up right by there (riding for the Hemel club). Apparently there's lightning times to be had there.

Yes, I think so. Sounds like a couple of miles of flat, that dirty great downhill and then 3 or so flattish miles out to turn and back again - sound familiar?

Rode up to that neck of the woods (bishopstone) to visit some friends yesterday and there weren't any lightning times to be had then - six hours of headwind... An irritating overnight change of wind directon after a week of raging south westerlies!

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
Blimey SB, you are officially my cycling maintenance Guru! :kiss:

There was indeed a creak coming from the saddle after all. Went ahead with a crankset test anyway by standing on the pedals in both horizontal positions and there's no creak down there.

I now have a creak free saddle, with grease in all the right places and the confirmation that I have an alloy 27.2mm seatpost that weighs in at 227g. Even put the clamp on the scales for fun too and that came in at 25g (with bolt). Will have a brief ride out tomorrow just to confirm that there's no creaks coming from anywhere else.

Just my tuppence worth, but I've often found the qr skewers to be a particularly fruitful source of mysterious creaks. Lost count of the number of times I've stripped/tightened/regreased/replaced headset and b.b. bearings only to rediscover the magical restorative powers of tightening one qr or the other....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just my tuppence worth, but I've often found the qr skewers to be a particularly fruitful source of mysterious creaks. Lost count of the number of times I've stripped/tightened/regreased/replaced headset and b.b. bearings only to rediscover the magical restorative powers of tightening one qr or the other....
Oh yes, t'is annoying.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
5 minutes left for fantasy transfers.

A decent last hour and half of coverage to come too. I'll post a link nearer the time - 11.30am start for us on coverage.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Nice one, that'll be my first port of call then if I still have the creaks. Not been out yet this morning, still wallowing in the joy of my boys match being called off so I can be at home to watch Tour of Qatar after all :O

In other news, I know who'll be coming last on our fantasy league for stage one today, and for once it won't be SB. Teenagers eh? :rolleyes:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nice one, that'll be my first port of call then if I still have the creaks. Not been out yet this morning, still wallowing in the joy of my boys match being called off so I can be at home to watch Tour of Qatar after all :O

In other news, I know who'll be coming last on our fantasy league for stage one today, and for once it won't be SB. Teenagers eh? :rolleyes:
You'll be a freakin mess come July, when you're watching 'proper' cycling!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Three groups on the road, Cav at the back of the last group 1:30 down on the leaders. That is 38.3 wasted credits for today.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Three groups on the road, Cav at the back of the last group 1:30 down on the leaders. That is 38.3 wasted credits for today.

Thomas in front group, EBH in 2nd group.

I took Thomas out for EBH right at the last minute :facepalm:

Oh well, points for Roulston hopefully as he was in the 3 man break apparently, along with Dempster and Martin Velits.

Edit: I also swapped Veelers out for Haussler too :facepalm:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Mind you, gaps are slowly coming down. 1st and 2nd group might come together for the finish?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Mind you, gaps are slowly coming down. 1st and 2nd group might come together for the finish?

I should think so, Cav's only hope is that they slow down once the two are back together. Cannot see it though, the other teams won't slow down to let the best sprinter back in to it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I have Rollin in this 4 man front group, but I doubt they'll stay away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here