Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Back to first. 205 points in one stage, without picking the winner, could not have gone much better really. Just hope I can hang on for the final stage, as I am climber loaded now.

Well played today. Same to Sam too with taking the stage 1,2,3 :clap2:

You remembered the jersey points golden rule I see. I only half adhered to it and took my usual bound to lose gamble on PG when I really should have covered my back by bringing in one of the Izagirre's instead. Oh well, still a little bit to play for tomorrow but it's probably all over now.

Pleased for Slagter today, that was a great ride, but a bit surprised to see G not have the legs to be honest.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Morning chaps. Been out for this earlier:

26jan13.jpg

Odd that it was almost exactly a marathon distance. Had to estimate my time as my phone let me down. Also had to improvise the road as the 'planned' descent (reverse of last route with a good climb was closed as still completely covered in snow. Only struggled for final mile but really felt the lack of exercise in last 10 days overall.

Really need to service my gears. Had another chain jam.

I'll catch up with the TDU coverage later. Anyone see any of the Dakar coverage. That scenery blows me away.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Well played today. Same to Sam too with taking the stage 1,2,3 :clap2:

You remembered the jersey points golden rule I see. I only half adhered to it and took my usual bound to lose gamble on PG when I really should have covered my back by bringing in one of the Izagirre's instead. Oh well, still a little bit to play for tomorrow but it's probably all over now.

Pleased for Slagter today, that was a great ride, but a bit surprised to see G not have the legs to be honest.

Yes indeed, well done Sam.

I think the jersey thing is especially important in these shorter races, G, Slagter and Moreno have been hoovering up points every stage because they are in the running for three or four jerseys each.

As for Slagter, it will be interesting to see how he goes in the classics. I have been very impressed with him this week but is he just peaking very early in the season whilst the big boys are nowhere near, or is he really as good as he has appeared to be?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What's the name of the girl doing the 'pit' interviews?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
You are right that coverage was shocking. Gerrans surprised me too, and I have to say his interview where he mentioned "the young Blanco rider" was a bit disrespectful. Slagter has been the sensation of this race you surely know his name.

Exactly what I thought at the time.

Aussie arrogance I think you'll find. An Aussie interviewer actually asked Gilbert what advice young Aussie rider Damien Howson gave him when they was in the break together yesterday :facepalm: Philippe top class palmarés as long as your arm Gilbert was very good about it and just responded with praise for Howson.

Robbie McEwen on the other hand comes across as a top bloke and was the only positive to come out of that coverage.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
As for Slagter, it will be interesting to see how he goes in the classics. I have been very impressed with him this week but is he just peaking very early in the season whilst the big boys are nowhere near, or is he really as good as he has appeared to be?

That is the big question. As I said earlier though, whilst researching for this race I'd read good things about him and already being compared to the likes of a Purito for the future. Would be nice to see a Dutch rider actually live up to expectation for a change, even though it's very early days here.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Exactly what I thought at the time.

Aussie arrogance I think you'll find. An Aussie interviewer actually asked Gilbert what advice young Aussie rider Damien Howson gave him when they was in the break together yesterday :facepalm: Philippe top class palmarés as long as your arm Gilbert was very good about it and just responded with praise for Howson.

Robbie McEwen on the other hand comes across as a top bloke and was the only positive to come out of that coverage.

I agree again, McEwan was superb I thought. He often annoyed me in pre/post race interviews but he came across really well as pundit. Though next to the hapless duo most will sound pretty decent.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Morning chaps. Been out for this earlier:

View attachment 39002

Odd that it was almost exactly a marathon distance. Had to estimate my time as my phone let me down. Also had to improvise the road as the 'planned' descent (reverse of last route with a good climb was closed as still completely covered in snow. Only struggled for final mile but really felt the lack of exercise in last 10 days overall.

Really need to service my gears. Had another chain jam.

I'll catch up with the TDU coverage later. Anyone see any of the Dakar coverage. That scenery blows me away.

That'll be you lost to bouts of swearing for ages then. Good luck :lol:

Pantani & Indurains Lungs both gave me excellent advice - probably pay to change the cables and outers before tinkering with the gears.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I literally have no idea who another is, that doesn't have their username as they're team name. :sad:

If we work out a list of who's who, I'll post it in the chat bit below our league table so we can refer to it -

He's a real talent but may suffer in the longer races - stages here are 150-160k but the extra 100k in LBL or Flanders will really test him.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Re: the above, I've got -

Soup Francaise du Jour - Pantani
The Dendrophiliacs - Cranky
Leipheimer not weeks - 1066
Indurain's Lungs - Indurain's Lungs!
Pilot Fishing - teaboy
Hp@E.N.Dxx - mini1066(F)
Hinaults Uno - Pogue
A Cat Named Bugno - Glanders
Bold Flyers - Bold
Team GC - mini1066(M)
The Flying Milkmen - The Bucket
Tejay in the night Garderen - SB
Jay's Pencil - Jay
Riccos DOdgy Blood - Woodchip
Cataldo's Crocodiles -MediGull
Team Motogull - Moto
catchymonkey -?
Saddler's Wheels - ?
Tom Hark Preston Park Velodrome - Tom Hark

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton

Pilot Fishing - teaboy
Hp@E.N.Dxx - mini1066(F)
Hinaults Uno - Pogue
Bold Flyers - Bold
Team GC - mini1066(M)
Jay's Pencil - Jay
Team Motogull - Moto
catchymonkey -?
Saddler's Wheels - ?

Cheers, I've changed my team name to: Jay - LH or VP?

(Avatar :thumbsup: )

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

Pilot Fishing - teaboy
Hp@E.N.Dxx - mini1066(F)
Hinaults Uno - Pogue
Bold Flyers - Bold
Team GC - mini1066(M)
Jay's Pencil - Jay
Team Motogull - Moto
catchymonkey -?
Saddler's Wheels -Is my girlfriend

:kiss:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I've just read this from a cycling weekly article -

"On December 1 1997, Peter Keen took up the position of Performance Director of cycling's £900,000 World Class Performance Plan. He beat Steve Paulding and Paul Sherwen to the job. This was still interim funding and Keen still had an eight-year plan to formalise. He outlined the goals of ‘The Plan' for the first time saying track racing would be a major target due to number of medals on offer."

Paul Sherwen - thank go Peter Keen got that job!!!!!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Orla Chennaoui

ulj0b5zggabnc8z1z507.jpeg

Cycletta-ambassadors.jpg

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton

Pilot Fishing - teaboy
Hp@E.N.Dxx - mini1066(F)
Hinaults Uno - Pogue
Bold Flyers - Bold
Team GC - mini1066(M)
Jay's Pencil - Jay
Team Motogull - Moto
catchymonkey -TotallyFreaked (post 4295)
Saddler's Wheels - Pantani's Girlfriend
All done. :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I think it's safe to say I won't be bothering with highlights from anywhere for stage 6. Will just watch a 1 minute odd video at some point of the Lotto train in action I suppose. :rolleyes:

Edit: Would be fun to see if good old Machado has one last fruitless effort at an attack though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here