Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Any GOOD devices that are compatible with Strava that don't use heart rate? preferably Garmin, otherwise as SB says, it will control me and i'll must likely stop because i'm paranoid. :rolleyes: :facepalm:

yeah, the one I was considering before:
Wiggle | Garmin Edge 200 GPS Cycle Computer | GPS Cycle Computers

Gives you the basics in-ride, but stores more info that is released when connected to Strava.

Of course you don't have to utilise the heart rate functionality on any of them, even if it's available.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Any GOOD devices that are compatible with Strava that don't use heart rate? preferably Garmin, otherwise as SB says, it will control me and i'll must likely stop because i'm paranoid. :rolleyes: :facepalm:
If you get a Garmin you can just choose not to wear the heart rate monitor (and turn it off in the GPS menu otherwise it uses battery while searching).

I've got an Edge 305 (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=331&ra=true) so anything relative modern should have the same options.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Just shelled out for this:
Wiggle | Garmin Edge 500 Red with Premium Heart Rate and Cadence | GPS Cycle Computers

happy now?!!
Being serious, I think I will really appreciate the extra functionality. I just know I am destined to spend hours trawling through data on Strava now

Just do yourself a favour and don't spend too much time looking at Glanders' times.

On the flip side, you could always put your routes into google maps and see how long they estimate your journey time on a bike, that'll cheer you up no end and make you feel like a world beater :lol: Quite how they come up with those times I've no idea, but I suspect they may have used some old granny on the bike that they sold to Woody to restore.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Just do yourself a favour and don't spend too much time looking at Glanders' times.

On the flip side, you could always put your routes into google maps and see how long they estimate your journey time on a bike, that'll cheer you up no end and make you feel like a world beater :lol: Quite how they come up with those times I've no idea, but I suspect they may have used some old granny on the bike that they sold to Woody to restore.

Cheeky. You'll be laughing on the other side of your face when I've finished restoring it, mister. :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Did that 47 mile hangover cure do the trick ??? :lolol:

Not sure - I still felt ill afterwards, but not in the same way... :ohmy: I really felt like I was going to keel over on my way back into town over the dyke. :mad:

I've barely drunk anything since...

I see that you had the same idea - how was it?

Oh, and by the way, have you been out with The Mitre again?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not sure - I still felt ill afterwards, but not in the same way... :ohmy: I really felt like I was going to keel over on my way back into town over the dyke. :mad:

I've barely drunk anything since...

I see that you had the same idea - how was it?

Oh, and by the way, have you been out with The Mitre again?

I did the Bostal downhill and I'm not entirely sure how I'm still alive as I got sort of giddy. I had to go back to bed when I got in as my body basically shut down after reaching the golf course!

As for the Mitre rides, my son is doing football training sat mornings now and it's kind of knocked that on the head. Might get out Sunday if I can.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just shelled out for this:
Wiggle | Garmin Edge 500 Red with Premium Heart Rate and Cadence | GPS Cycle Computers

happy now?!!
Being serious, I think I will really appreciate the extra functionality. I just know I am destined to spend hours trawling through data on Strava now
Ooooooh gadgets, lovely.

One caveat I kicked myself for not including does involve the likes of Glander and IL, who might advise against shelling out big money on big tech.
All these functions do tell you what you should already know, but we don't because we don't have a cyclists brain.
I'm sure Wiggo can ride for 5 hours at 98bpm and 85rpm whilst chatting and looking at the scenery, we can't.

Your 500 used properly will improve your climbing, and looking at your results graphs will encourage you to ride more.

T'is a good buy, you won't be disappointed.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Ooooooh gadgets, lovely.

One caveat I kicked myself for not including does involve the likes of Glander and IL, who might advise against shelling out big money on big tech.
All these functions do tell you what you should already know, but we don't because we don't have a cyclists brain.
I'm sure Wiggo can ride for 5 hours at 98bpm and 85rpm whilst chatting and looking at the scenery, we can't.

Your 500 used properly will improve your climbing, and looking at your results graphs will encourage you to ride more.

T'is a good buy, you won't be disappointed.
I love my Garmin. When you're struggling on a climb you can just look down and concentrate on your cadence, and before you know it you're over the climb and starting the descent.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I love my Garmin. When you're struggling on a climb you can just look down and concentrate on your cadence, and before you know it you're over the climb and starting the descent.

Can you not just count in your head? If I'm having a hard day on a climb I'll stand for a count of 20, then sit for 20 and repeat. Drop a gear when necessary. And it's all free!

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Can you not just count in your head? If I'm having a hard day on a climb I'll stand for a count of 20, then sit for 20 and repeat. Drop a gear when necessary. And it's all free!
I'm crap at riding out the pedals. Never figured out why, but climbing in the saddle works for me (especially when I use to rock past people that were out the saddle and puffing).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What's your name, Contador :lol:

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I'm crap at riding out the pedals. Never figured out why, but climbing in the saddle works for me (especially when I use to rock past people that were out the saddle and puffing).

Probably a weight thing.... :p

Ultimately it's YOUR legs that have to get you up the hill, so do whatever works best for you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here