Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
I've started working out the odd day here & there off work already. So my little contribution so far for an at a glance not to be missed stages/classics to book off work if you can are:

Will look into TdF stages tomorrow. I'm hoping no more than two, possibly three days eaten into my holdays there.

Funnily enough, I started looking at this today.
The double ascent of Alpe-d'Huez (Stage 18) is Thursday 18 July.
Fortunately the Ventoux stage (15) is Sunday 14 July
And fortunately for me I get to watch the stage I am doing in the Etape (20) done properly on Saturday 20 July. Unfortunately can't see it for real as the Etape is 13 days earlier than the real stage this year.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Anyone subscribe to Cycling.tv? Is it worth the 60USD for the year? I'm very tempted as much of the stuff I will want to watch will be on demand (being 12 hours out from Europe) and the quality has got to be better than the dodgy youtube videos you see.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just looking at the ORICA GreenEDGE roster and this fellow sounds interesting...

Daniel
Teklehaimanot

[h=1][/h] Nationality: Eritrean
Date of birth: 10 November 1988
Place of birth: Debarwa
Speciality: climbing, time trials
Height: 190 cm
Weight: 71 kg

"The first black African to ride within the WorldTour began to ride his bike with his six sisters and five brothers as a way to ride away from the problems faced by his home nation."
I thought I recognised the name:-

Daniel Teklehaimanot for Cycle Sport Magazine

I'm just pretty scared it was Sept 2010.
Were I to be pushed I'd have said it was in an issue about a year ago.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I think it all starts again for the new season. Pantani will have to start the league, then we apply to join.

I think this is correct, I'll let you all know once it is all up and running.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Jeeeez, [MENTION=12656]Pantani[/MENTION] is in for a shoeing if he's still 'between' computers :lol:

I am and will be for a while. I have commandeered the Mrs's laptop for now so should be able to sort out the league. Wouldn't want to leave 1066 without the certainty that he is the best :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I am and will be for a while. I have commandeered the Mrs's laptop for now so should be able to sort out the league. Wouldn't want to leave 1066 without the certainty that he is the best :lolol:
Phew, that's stopped a lot of pacing up and down, in one household.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I've started working out the odd day here & there off work already. So my little contribution so far for an at a glance not to be missed stages/classics to book off work if you can are:

Wednesday 17th April - Fléche Wallone

Giro - Thursday 23rd & Friday 24th May (stages 18 & 19) If you've got days going begging then Tuesday 14th (stage 10) might be worth having too.

The other one day classics/top stages fall on the weekend but I haven't got any further than the Giro yet.

Will look into TdF stages tomorrow. I'm hoping no more than two, possibly three days eaten into my holdays there.

Fortunately, I work in the evening with odd day times that I get to choose. So another cycling season missing very little for me. I may not stay up to watch the TDU though.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Right Geeks, I have 15 months to get fit before this ride...

The Course
(I'll map it on map my ride later so you can see the profile in all it's catergorised detail).

It's 93km, so hardly epic. There are a couple of long climbs so just get into a nice rhythm and spin up them. Go and ride them a few times in training to learn where they bite - knowledge is power, and power makes you go faster. Oh, and keep off the biscuits....

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
It's 93km, so hardly epic. There are a couple of long climbs so just get into a nice rhythm and spin up them. Go and ride them a few times in training to learn where they bite - knowledge is power, and power makes you go faster. Oh, and keep off the biscuits....
And pies, and macaroni cheese, and beer, and .........

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Wednesday 17th April - Fléche Wallone

Giro - Thursday 23rd & Friday 24th May (stages 18 & 19) If you've got days going begging then Tuesday 14th (stage 10) might be worth having too.

The other one day classics/top stages fall on the weekend but I haven't got any further than the Giro yet.

Funnily enough, I started looking at this today.
The double ascent of Alpe-d'Huez (Stage 18) is Thursday 18 July.
Fortunately the Ventoux stage (15) is Sunday 14 July
And fortunately for me I get to watch the stage I am doing in the Etape (20) done properly on Saturday 20 July. Unfortunately can't see it for real as the Etape is 13 days earlier than the real stage this year.
I too have put in for the Alpe-d'Huez day.
Sadly holiday when you actually want it is like hen's teeth, at our place.
I might actually book the full last week off, if it's available.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
10 miles of cat 2. Stone me. Well worth the sacrifice.

Especially as I'm about 14st 8lb at the moment. I can afford to lose about 20lb.

I've also decided to bite the bullet and get Sky for the cycling coverage. That way I can Sky+ it and watch it before I go to work (so long as I set my alarm early) and that will give me all day at work to consider my team subs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here