Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Eurosport subs all sorted. At 50p a week for a seasons worth of race viewing I consider that a proper bargain :)

I'm like an excited kid waiting for the season to start now, much more excited than I ever get over football these days.

Edit: If anyone has any handy tips on how to make the UCI race calender into a desktop wallpaper I'd appreciate it.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Eurosport subs all sorted. At 50p a week for a seasons worth of race viewing I consider that a proper bargain :)

I'm like an excited kid waiting for the season to start now, much more excited than I ever get over football these days.

Edit: If anyone has any handy tips on how to make the UCI race calender into a desktop wallpaper I'd appreciate it.

I'll see what I can do. What resolution do you want?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'll see what I can do. What resolution do you want?

Very kind of you, thanks. Now you see what my problem is here. I have no idea what resolution, the best for a laptop I suppose :shrug:

I'm currently walking myself through doing it on openoffice via youtube tutorials using one of my Paris - Roubaix pics. If I can get a result then I'm happy to share it with anyone who wants it (as if).

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I've got the idea for a 2012 in review wallpaper with the calender running down one side.

So far I've got the three tour winners, but not sure if I should put Lance and McQuaid in it (as they have had a huge part to play in the 2012 season) or what else to put in. I suppose I should put Sagan in there somewhere as well.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Here's a small preview on what I'm working on. This the kind thing you're after [MENTION=10856]1066familyman[/MENTION]? The races will go down the right hand side.
NSC Wallpaper.jpg

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Happy New Year, Geeks,

Are we going to continue this thread, or start a 'Cycling Geeks 2013'? Should we keep Fantasy Cycling a part of this thread, or have a seperate thread?

My feeling is keep it all in one place and continue this thread, we must be close to being the biggest tread on NSC, excluding BS like Word Association and what music are you listening to.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Just checked, we are fifth in the longest thread charts. Only Infinite Jukebox, Lucky 15 Challenge, Itunes what is playing now and more snow tomorrow have more replies.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Happy New Year, Geeks,

Are we going to continue this thread, or start a 'Cycling Geeks 2013'? Should we keep Fantasy Cycling a part of this thread, or have a seperate thread?

My feeling is keep it all in one place and continue this thread, we must be close to being the biggest tread on NSC, excluding BS like Word Association and what music are you listening to.
Yay the boss is back, quick tidy up!

Deffo keep this thread, I kind of think we might as well keep fantasy here as well.
But reading back we do turn geekism into a fine art, which apparently is off putting.

Saying that though we get only occasional new family member, so maybe wading through that could be the initiation :lol:

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Happy New Year, Geeks,

Keep this one rolling, I reckon.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Happy New Year, Geeks,

Welcome back Pantani. I'd say keep it going, though we could have a separate fantasy thread - i have to admit I drift away when the chat turns to knackered 80s saddle restoration etc!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Welcome back Pantani. I'd say keep it going, though we could have a separate fantasy thread - i have to admit I drift away when the chat turns to knackered 80s saddle restoration etc!
The plan is for the knackered stuff to be out of the way before the proper cycling starts.

(Oh and it's a circa '73 saddle!)

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Hopefully this will come out fullsize (1920 x 1080). If not I'll have to host in in my webspace somewhere. If you need a different size let me know (or if you can see any improvements). I could have done the image copying a little tidier, but wanted to see what you all thought first.

NSC Wallpaper.jpg

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Tiso 12-speed wireless transmission finally breaks cover + video | road.cc | Road cycling news, Bike reviews, Commuting, Leisure riding, Sportives and more

I can't see how this will improve shifting? Surely the extra weight of the batteries and chance of failure is enough to put anyone off. Wireless computers are temperemental enough, so I'll be damned if I want wireless transmission.

The only need for wireless shifting is on a time-trail bike - if you can shift in the tribars or the base bar (be that bull-horn, or drops with clip-ons) then it'll make life very slightly easier. 12 speed though??!! Where will this madness end? I do like the idea of 'remote shifting' though - imagine a team time trial with the DS in the car remote-shifting everyone's gears as and when they want regardless of the rider. It'll bring added confusion and carnage to an already confused, carnage-filled discipline! :)

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
The only need for wireless shifting is on a time-trail bike - if you can shift in the tribars or the base bar (be that bull-horn, or drops with clip-ons) then it'll make life very slightly easier. 12 speed though??!! Where will this madness end? I do like the idea of 'remote shifting' though - imagine a team time trial with the DS in the car remote-shifting everyone's gears as and when they want regardless of the rider. It'll bring added confusion and carnage to an already confused, carnage-filled discipline! :)
Or the DS of a competitor team shifting for them. Now that would be confusion. Could you imagine Cannondale shifting Trek and Trek shifting Sky. Utter madness. What happens if two riders are near each other on the same frequency as well?

Electronic shifting I can see a point to. Wireless just seems to be a gadget for sales reasons instead of anything to increase performance.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Tiso 12-speed wireless transmission finally breaks cover + video | road.cc | Road cycling news, Bike reviews, Commuting, Leisure riding, Sportives and more

I can't see how this will improve shifting? Surely the extra weight of the batteries and chance of failure is enough to put anyone off. Wireless computers are temperemental enough, so I'll be damned if I want wireless transmission.

I agree. Most electrical applications are still more reliable wired (Internet, speakers etc) and people will not tolerate unreliable shifts.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Hopefully this will come out fullsize (1920 x 1080). If not I'll have to host in in my webspace somewhere. If you need a different size let me know (or if you can see any improvements). I could have done the image copying a little tidier, but wanted to see what you all thought first.

View attachment 38004

That is magnificent. I will be printing, framing (!) and displaying it prominently. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here