Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Attention all you strava fans...

As my thoughts turn to serious training over the next 6 months, i thought i would sign up to this and track my fellow rider's progress too.
It says grab a GPS device to get started but then specifically mentions Garmin, iphone or android. Am i to take it that other devices aren't compatible, or is this just a sponsorship tie-in they have to mention those names?

edit: having said that there isn't a lot more choice out there actually. On that note, does anyone have a Garmin Edge 200? I can see it lists speed as one of it's functions but does this include top speed, current speed and average speed?

thanks.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

As my thoughts turn to serious training over the next 6 months, i thought i would sign up to this and track my fellow rider's progress too.
It says grab a GPS device to get started but then specifically mentions Garmin, iphone or android. Am i to take it that other devices aren't compatible, or is this just a sponsorship tie-in they have to mention those names?

edit: having said that there isn't a lot more choice out there actually. On that note, does anyone have a Garmin Edge 200? I can see it lists speed as one of it's functions but does this include top speed, current speed and average speed?

thanks.

Sign up to Strava, it's free and gives all the data that you could ever want for every ride that you or people you follow ever do. I was going to get a Garmin, but make do with a cheaper bike computer without GPS. Strava is brilliant - check it out before spending your money.

Are you cycling with a club? Training solo can get very boring, I did rather too much of this last year. Much better to cycle in a group.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

thanks.

Sorry, I've just read your post more clearly...

Any Smart phone can be set up with Strava. I've got a Samsung Galaxy, and signed up on that. Unless you don't own a Smart phone you will not need to buy another device!

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton

Any Smart phone can be set up with Strava. I've got a Samsung Galaxy, and signed up on that. Unless you don't own a Smart phone you will not need to buy another device!
Or like I do, add the route manually :lolol:

Havn't been on a ride since early December though :(

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

thanks.

Sign up to Strava, it's free and gives all the data that you could ever want for every ride that you or people you follow ever do. I was going to get a Garmin, but make do with a cheaper bike computer without GPS. Strava is brilliant - check it out before spending your money.

Are you cycling with a club? Training solo can get very boring, I did rather too much of this last year. Much better to cycle in a group.
I pooh poohed 'gimmicky' all singing and dancing Garmin's for years, until my thoughts turn to serious training over the next 6 months.
Used correctly they are a bloody brilliant tool for logging your ride and collating data, I have a 705, which is now the 800 and I can't fault it.

If you are really keen the extra money is worth while, because you'll end up buying one anyway, just 6 months later.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
I pooh poohed 'gimmicky' all singing and dancing Garmin's for years, until my thoughts turn to serious training over the next 6 months.
Used correctly they are a bloody brilliant tool for logging your ride and collating data, I have a 705, which is now the 800 and I can't fault it.

If you are really keen the extra money is worth while, because you'll end up buying one anyway, just 6 months later.

Thanks everyone for the input.

I seem to spend money on my bike every day at the moment whilst sat at work (instead of riding much), so i do think i am in the market for a lower end Garmin, although i totally get your point about wanting to upgrade down the line.
The 200 seems to give me everything i would need during the ride (except max speed) and stores the rest of the data for connection to Strava etc.

I don't have any experience with cadence or heart rate monitors, so feel i can do without these as long as i put in the miles and tailor my training to my goal.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006

I barely have a smart phone. Had a Nokia 3310 until about a month ago!
Think i would be happier with a bike mounted device, rather than trusting my phones data connection and battery.

As for training...
there are 4 of us training for the etape in July. We wont always be together (and i'm the only one without a turbo trainer!), but in addition to the training rides we'll do we've so far signed up to numerous sportives and have a long weekend cycling the hills of Exmoor lined up. They're not quite mountains, but they'll do!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't have any experience with cadence or heart rate monitors, so feel i can do without these as long as i put in the miles and tailor my training to my goal.
Exactly where I was, and very happy to be there.
HR is something I could do without as a stand alone item, but it's really important when you look at all the data together.

Cadence is a different issue altogether.
Working your climbs knowing your cadence thresholds will improve your cycling, of that I have no doubt, esp if you work out your personal averages first. (which is all linked into HR).

It's not a 'dark art' I'll have a look for some guides.

I'm not advocating riding like some, with alarms set at critical levels on the device, so you instantly back off when you reach your max. Basically just being a slave to it.

But used in tandem with your cycling brain you will ride smarter.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Think i would be happier with a bike mounted device, rather than trusting my phones data connection and battery.

As for training...
there are 4 of us training for the etape in July. We wont always be together (and i'm the only one without a turbo trainer!), but in addition to the training rides we'll do we've so far signed up to numerous sportives and have a long weekend cycling the hills of Exmoor lined up. They're not quite mountains, but they'll do!

BikeRadar.com View topic - Garmin Edge 705

Ok third time typing.
Proper riding, proper training, proper terrain, get a proper device.

If it's money they usually crop up on the 'for sale' forum over at bikeradar.
Or alternatively someone will be interested should you put a request in the wanted section, again on bikeradar.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
For reference.
This isn't quite what I had in mind.
I did something like 5 sets of different reps on the same climb, which then gave me my average, cadence & H/R figures to then ride around.

Heart Rate Monitor Training For Cyclists: The Basics - BikeRadar
Technique: Cadence Matters - BikeRadar

Good luck sticking to anything like this, to me it's all bollox and completely detached from the 21st century.

Cycling Training Plans: Fitness Guides | Bicycling Magazine

Great thanks. I'll give the cadence/ HR stuff a read later.
A quick glance at the bottom link and I have to agree with you. My job and that training regime will not go.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Funnily enough, I started looking at this today.
The double ascent of Alpe-d'Huez (Stage 18) is Thursday 18 July.
Fortunately the Ventoux stage (15) is Sunday 14 July
And fortunately for me I get to watch the stage I am doing in the Etape (20) done properly on Saturday 20 July. Unfortunately can't see it for real as the Etape is 13 days earlier than the real stage this year.

Thanks for that, July 18th now booked off :thumbsup: I've not been on the computer since but hopefully I'll get all the other TdF stages sorted through tonight or the weekend and then I'll be all over the staff wallchart like a rash again on Monday morning.

As for training...

You'll probably not want to go down this route as is sounds like a Garmin is for you. But to fill in the gaps for you re: smartphones & Strava etc. I have a Nokia phone and no Garmin therefore unable to use Strava, so I use Endomondo instead and it's also free and very good. Meets all my needs for now with my phone in my jersey pocket and a bog standard wireless cateye comp on the handlebars. I'm not exactly training though, just riding for the pleasure, even though it's usually painful as I'm way out of condition.

Good luck with your training.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Any GOOD devices that are compatible with Strava that don't use heart rate? preferably Garmin, otherwise as SB says, it will control me and i'll must likely stop because i'm paranoid. :rolleyes: :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here