Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Looks good though.

You can expect lots of boring photos over the weekend of various bike parts before and after being cut.
I have been chronicling all the before and afters but have resisted the temptation to hit you all with:-

'Here's the rear brake caliper, before, note the rust spots...'

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This weeks VeloCast, Podcast has just popped up, which reminds about last weeks.

Did anyone listen, I could only get halfway through, I was so angry.

I've never heard so much self satisfying, preening, self-aggrandisising, bollox in all my life.
I thought I was genuinely going to explode, people were pointing at me saying:-

'Ah that's sweet Royal Mail have employed a special needs bloke with turettes'.

It was the most insane thing ever, so self important, so reverential, you would have thought they had cured all known diseases and stopped all wars.

There was probably a really good point to it all, but that message got lost as they spent 5 mins discussing a twitter photo.
Freaking idiots.

I'll let you know what this weeks one is like later :lol:
I bet it starts 'we've had a massive response to last weeks and we are amazed by how positive it's all been'. w-anchors.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Anyone know where I can get cotter crank pins from? Not sure on the size yet, but a vague idea would be handy. I'm guessing Wiggle and CRC probably don't do them.

Hopefully I can remove the current ones without too much damage, but knowing where to get replacements is always useful.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyone know where I can get cotter crank pins from? Not sure on the size yet, but a vague idea would be handy. I'm guessing Wiggle and CRC probably don't do them.

Hopefully I can remove the current ones without too much damage, but knowing where to get replacements is always useful.
Hopefully this weekend I'll be using the g-clamp technique to remove my troublesome pins.

Naturally e-bay seems to be the place to get replacements.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Oh, and spot the part of the granny gear that I've cleaned...

240341_10151358263819120_45501696_o.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Spoke to one of the local bike shops today. They have cotter pins in stock as a regular item. :D
Jesus wept.
Are you sure you flew in a plane to NZ, seems like you went in a time machine.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You high on cleaning fumes, yet?

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
You high on cleaning fumes, yet?
No, but I did get a bit sunburnt sat in the garden for three hours yesterday. Interesting on removing the mech hanger it looks like the bike has had a respray at some point, as the paint under the hanger is pink. That's probably why there is no trace of a "Super Racer" brand anywhere. Next step is to try to search for a serial number and see what google brings up from that.

Any of the geeks out there know when gear shifters moved from the down tube to the stem? That's the only way I'm going to be able to work out an age I reckon. (EDIT: Sheldon Brown say's late 70's early 80's).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No, but I did get a bit sunburnt sat in the garden for three hours yesterday. Interesting on removing the mech hanger it looks like the bike has had a respray at some point, as the paint under the hanger is pink. That's probably why there is no trace of a "Super Racer" brand anywhere. Next step is to try to search for a serial number and see what google brings up from that.

Any of the geeks out there know when gear shifters moved from the down tube to the stem? That's the only way I'm going to be able to work out an age I reckon. (EDIT: Sheldon Brown say's late 70's early 80's).
Best keep that to yourself.
A lovely pink retro racer sounds ideal.

Anyone on here arguing with Sheldon Brown, knows nothing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here