Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The shop I have lined up does a range of fits from £55 to £170, but i guess if you are spending £6K on a bike (which I hasten to add I am not) then that is only a little extra!
Even £55 has induced a minor Roger Moore, although not knowing what you get for your money, t'is hard to comment.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Word. £200 for a bike fit? :facepalm:

Quite, hence my original caveat :wink:

It is a bit of an upmarket up it's own arse magazine though to be fair.

In fact, having now read the launch issue from cover to cover I'm amazed it found it's way into a newsagents in my neck of the woods. I'd have thought they would have stipulated Rye, Battle & Lewes only :lol: I don't think I'll be subscribing somehow.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Even £55 has induced a minor Roger Moore, although not knowing what you get for your money, t'is hard to comment.

You'll not want to be reading this quote from said article then SB -

'The worst thing you can do is go on "feel". You need a referee. That's a fitter's role'

Funnily enough some of the most enjoyable games of football I've ever played have had jumpers for goalposts and no referee whatsoever. Bad analogy, obviously, but I get my point.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
A bike fit, for 99% of the population, comes down to finding a comfy position. Even if 'the computer' is putting you in the 'best' position, if its not right for you, it won't make your riding experience any better and it could possible make it worse.

If you know your correct saddlle height, you're 99% of the way there anyway...

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The shop I have lined up does a range of fits from £55 to £170, but i guess if you are spending £6K on a bike (which I hasten to add I am not) then that is only a little extra!

For anyone reading this spending £6k on a bike... I have the perfect magazine recommendation for you :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
A bike fit, for 99% of the population, comes down to finding a comfy position. Even if 'the computer' is putting you in the 'best' position, if its not right for you, it won't make your riding experience any better and it could possible make it worse.

If you know your correct saddlle height, you're 99% of the way there anyway...

That'll pretty much do it for me :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Plus if you've been riding for a decent amount of time in the 'wrong' position, you'll find it hard to change, anyway.

As [MENTION=2551]Stoichkov[/MENTION] says if you're sitting pretty the rest follows, and that has 2 simple rules of thumb:-

- Don't over/under extend your knee.
- Be unable to see your front wheel spindle due to the handlebars.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's not to say there isn't a role for a fitting, esp if like [MENTION=2351]m20gull[/MENTION] you are having specific pain that's hindering your cycling.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've been looking at local bike shop who ACTUALLY :whistle: offer a £200 fitting.

I might be reading it wrong, but you might even get time in a wind tunnel :ohmy:
I almost want to hang around the shop just to laugh at the first tubby (who isn't me) that signs up for this.

A wind tunnel, unbelievable, Jeff.

I love this bit from the £50 standing service:-

tyres corrected to the optimum pressure

Good luck to them, if these are profitable prices, fair play well done.
It certainly shows where cycling's place is, on the sporting map, in affluent Brighton at least.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I can't remember what pro-tour cyclist it is, but there is one that rides with his knees out and looks very strange. Sean Kelly comments on it at least twice every Grand Tour.

A "proper" riding position doesn't exist. The only proper position is one that doesn't make you ache (not to say that bike fitting is pointless as it may help [MENTION=2351]m20gull[/MENTION], but I would take it with a pinch of salt).

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've been looking at local bike shop who ACTUALLY :whistle: offer a £200 fitting.

I might be reading it wrong, but you might even get time in a wind tunnel :ohmy:
I almost want to hang around the shop just to laugh at the first tubby (who isn't me) that signs up for this.

A wind tunnel, unbelievable, Jeff.

I love this bit from the £50 standing service:-

tyres corrected to the optimum pressure

Good luck to them, if these are profitable prices, fair play well done.
It certainly shows where cycling's place is, on the sporting map, in affluent Brighton at least.

Exactly!, cycling is the new cool and therefore big bucks to be made out of the fashionistas. Thankfully riding is free (within reason) and so it can't completely go the way of watching live football.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
£55 gets you a "by eye assessment which last approximately 45minutes to 1hour"
I'm sure it'll be benificial esp if your not comfy now, and don't want to repeat mistakes of the past.

I'd love to listen in to hear how similar their fitting (that was probably £25 this time last year) is to a blind online virtual 'geeks' fitting :lol:
You've got to play 'fitting bingo' and see how we get on, if you're not pi$$ing yourself laughing by the end, I'll be disappointed.

I wish I could remember which pro said words to the effect of:-
'you're riding a bike for 5 hours if it's comfortable you're doing it wrong'.

(That looks like a Wiggo/Cav quote, but it's probably Merckx)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Merckx was a renowned stickler for correct bike fit wasn't he. I remember that scene from a Sunday In Hell.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
LOLZ. Apparently darts is more of a sport than cycling.Got to laugh at that, as I can't believe anyone that is sane of mind could honestly believe that.

There is some serious fishing going on over on that thread. Couldn't resist wading in though!

On a side note, I've just realised I haven't got out on the bike for 3 weeks because of this rain. 3 weeks solid of turbo time!

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
On a side note, I've just realised I haven't got out on the bike for 3 weeks because of this rain. 3 weeks solid of turbo time!
My word, that must be boring as hell!!!! I hate turbo riding.

EDIT: On a side note, spot the part cleaned with just aluminum foil and water...
IMG_20121228_182200.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here