Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Morning all,

I have been following this thread for a little while, but now I have encountered my first real mechanical problem I feel I have something to post about.

The problem is that one of my crank shafts has started coming loose. I can tighten it back up, but then it just starts loosening up again. Does anyone have any remedies for this little conundrum? The bike is a Cinelli Experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
That's less than a year old Camag Veloce, isn't it.
If that's the case, the shop will sort it, no probs.

If not, is it 'hollowtech'?, basically can you see straight through from one pedal arm to the other?

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
That's less than a year old Camag Veloce, isn't it.
If that's the case, the shop will sort it, no probs.

If not, is it 'hollowtech'?, basically can you see straight through from one pedal arm to the other?

Yes, that's the one. I got it from Evan's Cycles in the summer on Ride2work, a scheme I couldn't recommend highly enough. I'll give the branch I got it from a ring and see what they can do! Not too sure about the hollowtech, I would have to report back later on that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes, that's the one. I got it from Evan's Cycles in the summer on Ride2work, a scheme I couldn't recommend highly enough. I'll give the branch I got it from a ring and see what they can do! Not too sure about the hollowtech, I would have to report back later on that.
In fairness if it is HT you're in trouble.

Fingers crossed it's not, and it's a regulation bottom bracket:-
!BS22wDw!mk~$(KGrHgoH-DMEjlLlvjJvBKFWWNw7vQ~~_35.JPG
Evans should sort it, and assuming you haven't clocked up x amount of 1000's of miles since the summer, they shouldn't charge.

Don't let it get problematic because 'can we fix it, yes we can', but you'll need specific tools.
So making a point could get pricey.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You're right - it was. Promised myself an afternoon ride after watching the cricket and the Asda shop (Sundays can be so exciting). But as I got myself ready, the inevitable happened and it started pissing down again. I didn't man up. I didn't go.

I had to do the shopping...
The cricket was on...
There was a little bit of rain...

You'll be telling us next that you had to catch up on ironing your bedding.

Squeak squeak!

:)

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Ass, tits, bollocks!!! Just gone to check the mountain bike over before riding it to work tomorrow and where the back wheel was held in the shed by bungees they've banana'd it. Guess me/Dad are stronger than the wheel rim! :( :cry:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's only Froome's health stopping the definitive answer.
Remember he didn't make the tour team until the 11th hour.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Oh well, proper race bike put together, with un-fettled gears. Could be some interesting shifting going on tomorrow.

Well there were some interesting shifts and non-shifts going on, but even with that to cope with I was still 3 minutes quicker on my Scott than my Peugeot. Not bad over a 15 minute (well 12 now) slightly up hill journey.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's certainly not ropey but pretty rough and ready and rock solid, as you would expect.
But I don't want to ingrain the grim while trying to buff it up.

Oh btw, never having been near a Brooks before I don't know if the above is horse plops or not.

View attachment 37447View attachment 37448View attachment 37449

Just when you thought life couldn't get any more boring, I do this to you.
Here's the updated saddle with new bracket, as they are only a tenner. I figured if that part looks a bit cacky you're not going to trust it.

Judging by the first look at the photos the before/after shots don't seem to different.
But the saddle is now certainly a lot cleaner and definitely a lot more tactile.

I've now got to stop myself from 'over dubbing' or else I'll keep going until I've turned it into a sponge!

Resto bike 038.jpgResto bike 039.jpgResto bike 041.jpg

You're going to properly hate me for this.
As the saddle was next to me I started giving it another rub! :lol:

Turns out I may well have been a bit keen with the photos, as the rubbing is bringing it up a treat!

Last edited:

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Just when you thought life couldn't get any more boring, I do this to you.
Here's the updated saddle with new bracket, as they are only a tenner. I figured if that part looks a bit cacky you're not going to trust it.

Judging by the first look at the photos the before/after shots don't seem to different.
But the saddle is now certainly a lot cleaner and definitely a lot more tactile.

I've now got to stop myself from 'over dubbing' or else I'll keep going until I've turned it into a sponge!

View attachment 37675View attachment 37676View attachment 37677

You're going to properly hate me for this.
As the saddle was next to me I started giving it another rub! :lol:

Turns out I may well have been a bit keen with the photos, as the rubbing is bringing it up a treat!
Looks a lot, errr, blacker?

Seriously, it looks a lot better now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Looks a lot, errr, blacker?

Seriously, it looks a lot better now.
Yeah the photo hasn't done it justice.

I hadn't anticipated after a good rub in then rub down, it would still take a while to 'dry'.

I'm a little miffed that making it nice, with clear products, has darkened it a bit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here