Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Watched it a few times and its brutal. Crowds come out in force, as does the sun often, mental climbs and desents, take the training seriously as unlike the Tour you ride on mass in big groups. I managed the London to Cantubury stage and thats when I was fit and rode a bike regulary, even then I knew I would never be able to manage one of the mountain etapes.

Hope you get on, it will be a fantastic experience and you will then get to hang around after and see the real pros show how its done.

Thanks. After an hour and a half wait... I'm in.

I'm now terrified and excited.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Todays afternoon drama on radio 4: Beryl_ A Love Story on Two Wheels. Haven't listened yet, ready on my ipod for tomorrow, hope it does her justice.

Thanks for that, I'm a Radio 4 fan and I do like the afternoon plays. I'll catch up with this one for sure.

At work the other day they had Radio 1 on and my ears pricked up when I heard this tune with the singer talking about rear derailleurs and bottom brackets no less! So anyway, I searched for it on youtube and here it is. I think if it was ever in any doubt it's now official...cycling in the UK is like well cool innit :rave: :lol:

YouTube

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Thought I'd give as bit of an update as to how I've gotten on after seeking advice. Received my new wheels on Monday (went for the Planet X AL30s, they are the Model B replacements I believe) and installed them after a quick trip to halfords to purchase the required tools; freewheel remover and the chain whip. I also put on my new winter tyres, Conti Gatorskin Hardshells, and installed some mud guards, Crud Roadracers Mk2, due to my very low clearance.

Just need to adjust the gears now, which I'm rather apprehensive about. The last time I attempted it I managed to fray the cable which resulted in having to take the bike to my LBS with my tail between my legs.

The next item(s) on my shopping list are lights, well actually I'm going to put them on my Xmas list. For the rear I'm thinking a Moon Shield 60 and for the front I'm tempted to go with one of the Chinese LEDs, e.g. TrustFire A8 CREE XM-L T6. I've already spent way to long researching and am no closer to deciding what to go with. I want something suitable to very dark roads (without blinding drivers) but also to use on mountain bike trails. Any suggestions or comments?

Just popped on here briefly. I'll be back later to reply to your post in full as I have what I think will prove some very useful links and advice for you.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Todays afternoon drama on radio 4: Beryl_ A Love Story on Two Wheels. Haven't listened yet, ready on my ipod for tomorrow, hope it does her justice.
This is supposed to be a pretty good read:-

beryl.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]273852995635138561 [/tweet]

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Thought I'd give as bit of an update as to how I've gotten on after seeking advice. Received my new wheels on Monday (went for the Planet X AL30s, they are the Model B replacements I believe) and installed them after a quick trip to halfords to purchase the required tools; freewheel remover and the chain whip. I also put on my new winter tyres, Conti Gatorskin Hardshells, and installed some mud guards, Crud Roadracers Mk2, due to my very low clearance.

Just need to adjust the gears now, which I'm rather apprehensive about. The last time I attempted it I managed to fray the cable which resulted in having to take the bike to my LBS with my tail between my legs.

The next item(s) on my shopping list are lights, well actually I'm going to put them on my Xmas list. For the rear I'm thinking a Moon Shield 60 and for the front I'm tempted to go with one of the Chinese LEDs, e.g. TrustFire A8 CREE XM-L T6. I've already spent way to long researching and am no closer to deciding what to go with. I want something suitable to very dark roads (without blinding drivers) but also to use on mountain bike trails. Any suggestions or comments?

I hope you didn't pay for a proper chain whip. I bought a chain oil filter remover from their car mechanic section and it does exactly the same thing for 1/5th the price.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Bike light research can be endless as there's so much choice. I note the moon shield 60 is USB rechargable and 60 lumens. That's very powerful for a rear light and I wonder if that would be just too bright as it's not lighting your way but just to be seen with. I also wanted USB rechargable and something to light my way at the front and be very visible at the back. I went for a Serfas Thunderbolt for the rear - very easy to attach to the bike and will even go on the seat stays if you don't have much seat post to work with, and at 35 lumens I feel it's more than bright enough. Best price here, and amazingly quick delivery time: Cycle Lights

Now for the front light I used this great little tool to compare different makes & models - road.cc light testing data 2012 In the end I went for the Cateye Nano Shot at 200 lumens and a very good reduced price on Amazon because the 600 lumens nano shot plus is now the latest model. I read countless reviews before buying (wiggle has loads of customer reviews of it) and it's fantastic! - USB rechargeable, very lightweight and sleek on the bike, easy fitting bracket with no tools and lights the way a treat on dark country roads on a road bike. I also don't want to blind drivers and this cuts the beam off at the top to stop exactly that whilst still lighting your way and making you visible. I reckon you could be ok on mountain bike trails too to be honest, but perhaps you might need to go up to the 600 lumens if you intend seriously hacking around the woods at night?

I've also had very recent experience at gear adjusting, as my endless boring ramblings on here will testify to :blush: Youtube is definitely the way to go for tutorials. I picked several and chose the one that worked best for me. You mentioned cable fraying. Pantani and Indurains Lungs on here gave me sound advice to change my gear cables and outers before adjusting the gears and they were spot on. I did this job myself no trouble at all and was glad I did. Be warned though, if your handlebar tape has been wound on incorrectly, namely top to bottom instead of the other way around you may end up having to change that too. I did, but again, that was a good thing as it could have done with new tape anyway.

Good luck with the shopping and any work you do, and don't forget if you buy from Amazon to go via the NSC link :thumbsup:

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Thanks for that, I'm a Radio 4 fan and I do like the afternoon plays. I'll catch up with this one for sure.

At work the other day they had Radio 1 on and my ears pricked up when I heard this tune with the singer talking about rear derailleurs and bottom brackets no less! So anyway, I searched for it on youtube and here it is. I think if it was ever in any doubt it's now official...cycling in the UK is like well cool innit :rave: :lol:

YouTube

That's wicked bwuv. :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I hope you didn't pay for a proper chain whip. I bought a chain oil filter remover from their car mechanic section and it does exactly the same thing for 1/5th the price.

Now you tell me! :facepalm: I've just bought a chain whip from Wiggle to change over my rear cassette. If I'd known about this bit of info I would have saved myself a few quid.

How's life treating you down there by the way?, settled in ok?

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Now you tell me! :facepalm: I've just bought a chain whip from Wiggle to change over my rear cassette. If I'd known about this bit of info I would have saved myself a few quid.

How's life treating you down there by the way?, settled in ok?

Things are going really well down here. Worst part about living down here is getting up at silly o'clock to watch streams of F1 or football. Apart from that it is great down here. Cyclists are treated with more respect (not quite Holland, but a lot better than England).

Christmas shopping when it's 20+ degrees C outside is a bit weird though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Things are going really well down here. Worst part about living down here is getting up at silly o'clock to watch streams of F1 or football. Apart from that it is great down here. Cyclists are treated with more respect (not quite Holland, but a lot better than England).

Not forgetting, you get to speak to me @ 4:30 in the morning. :facepalm:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Good to hear.

No sympathy on your unsociable hours for F1 though I'm afraid - it's a shit excuse for a sport and so you've only yourself to blame for liking it :rolleyes:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ah, that is one drawback. :lol:
Hey I don't want to be there either.

Cracking video, with some great music choices.
I'd hate to think how many of those victories are tainted, but it doesn't alter the spectacle.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And something to SB before he goes to work...

And another thing, have Belgium ever had a National jersey that doesn't look the business?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here