Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Hello again chaps, I'm after some more of your excellent advice. I went out on a development ride with a road club a couple of weeks ago and realised that they had all recently decided it was now mud guard season. So I have brought and am in the process of fitting some in preparation for when I join them again next. I went for the SKS Chromeomatics, and mye bike has a very small clearance with the rear wheel, so it's proving a rather tricky install. I've entered a mini-sportive (45 or 65 miles) which is taking place in mid January, and was wondering what the ettiquette was for these with regards to mud guards?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No brainer, keep the guards on.

If you are a little unsure, make a point of riding behind someone without them.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Got to love Obree and all his mad projects - you can't help but want everything he touches to succeed. Loved his Flying Scotsman book & even the film version was good, which is a feat in itself.

Wouldn't it be great if he popped up on a place like this and offered his advice re: mudguards etc. Didn't he once offer one little gem of advice on cycling road safety along the lines of ? - "Approach roundabouts and junctions with a bit of a wobble on, that way everyone gives you a wide birth". As I say, what's not to like :lol:

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
No brainer, keep the guards on.

If you are a little unsure, make a point of riding behind someone without them.

Ok, will do, thanks. I wasn't sure if that perhaps because it's a little more competitive than a club ride people wouldn't use them. I didn't want to turn up being the only one with mud guards displaying my newbie credentials for a to see any more than necessary.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok, will do, thanks. I wasn't sure if that perhaps because it's a little more competitive than a club ride people wouldn't use them. I didn't want to turn up being the only one with mud guards displaying my newbie credentials for a to see any more than necessary.
Even if you were, you'd still 'win', as everyone would be lined up behind you.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So, my 6.5 yr old son, on his little bike is pretty good but he's now ready to step up. He's just about right for a 20" wheel (he's a bit small), but unsurprisingly he is desperate for a road style bike like his Dad...and who can blame him!

Anyone know anything about these, or have any experience / comments to make? I basically can't find anywhere that stocks them to try one out, so it might be a case of ordering one and see. They look decent enough, but not cheap for a kids bike, although I also have a 2 yr old son, so will get double use out of it.

http://www.bikes2udirect.com/B3885.html

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
So, my 6.5 yr old son, on his little bike is pretty good but he's now ready to step up. He's just about right for a 20" wheel (he's a bit small), but unsurprisingly he is desperate for a road style bike like his Dad...and who can blame him!

Anyone know anything about these, or have any experience / comments to make? I basically can't find anywhere that stocks them to try one out, so it might be a case of ordering one and see. They look decent enough, but not cheap for a kids bike, although I also have a 2 yr old son, so will get double use out of it.

My six year old daughter recently did her first races (and came away with a third place and an armful of goodies - cue cringingly proud parent syndrome) and a friend's son had that bike. It looked ok, but if you can stretch just a little more price-wise, or can be arsed to scour ebay, have a look at Islabikes. They are the brainchild of multiple national cyclocross champion Isla Rowntree, who was pissed off at the dearth of decent kids' bikes and are consequently really well thought out. Their 20" offering is admittedly not as racy looking as the one you've found (flat handlebars, V-brakes etc), but they are stunningly well put together for a kid's bike, very light and have fantastic geometry - really stable. They definitely seem to be the bike of choice for the offspring of cyclists and of the 30 or so kids at Nettie's race, I reckon at least half were on them. The other good news, further down the line (not so good now...) is that they really hold their value, so a second hand one rarely goes for less than 2/3 of new price on ebay, seemingly irrespective of condition.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My six year old daughter recently did her first races (and came away with a third place and an armful of goodies - cue cringingly proud parent syndrome) and a friend's son had that bike. It looked ok, but if you can stretch just a little more price-wise, or can be arsed to scour ebay, have a look at Islabikes. They are the brainchild of multiple national cyclocross champion Isla Rowntree, who was pissed off at the dearth of decent kids' bikes and are consequently really well thought out. Their 20" offering is admittedly not as racy looking as the one you've found (flat handlebars, V-brakes etc), but they are stunningly well put together for a kid's bike, very light and have fantastic geometry - really stable. They definitely seem to be the bike of choice for the offspring of cyclists and of the 30 or so kids at Nettie's race, I reckon at least half were on them. The other good news, further down the line (not so good now...) is that they really hold their value, so a second hand one rarely goes for less than 2/3 of new price on ebay, seemingly irrespective of condition.

Thanks mate, heard about the Islabikes, but the boy is obsessed with the drops look. I could try to talk some sense into him, but right now those bars are the most important feature bar none!

How does your friend rate the sprint, did it look a good ride for the nipper or is the geometry all screwed making them over stretch.

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
His boy looked pretty comfortable on it and was certainly quick. If it's got to be dropped bars, then it looks a good bet, but I must confess I didn't look closely. For what it's worth, my daughter is pretty tall for her age, and this lad looked a little bit shorter than her, so sizing is probably about right for a 6 year old of average height.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Here's what you want.
Although one tip, should you see something like that on e-bay, you'd better be drunk at the sharp end of the bidding, cos it's gonna be fracking expensive :lol:

Attachments

• cyclocross 021.jpg
    cyclocross 021.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 73

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Come on @Stat Brother, tell me more about the Tom Simpson Movie.

Oh, and can you change your name to something easier to "mention" please?
He's been talking about it, seriously, since This Is England '88.
Meadows is a keen cyclist and has had the rights to Fothers book for years.
Every time he has mentioned his 'next project', he's also said about this.
But each time there's a bit more padding to the quote.
From 'I'd like to do a film about a cyclist' to 'The Tom Simpson Story'.
His company partner gave it the biggest push on Kermode, in the Summer.

So I'm assuming it's in the offing now.

I was stst brother on here for years, cos I couldn't write Stat myself :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wow 2 days off.

533948_10151268169607313_709518355_n.jpg

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Extra seat height seemed fine; still can put heel on peddle with straight leg. But after feeling dodgy last weekend after my ride, I gave exercise a swerve this week.

Saw a very committed rider in the dark last night. Fair play, but commitment beyond me.

Ditchling Borstall is a 4 on mapmyride as it happens.

Bike is looking a bit tired now. Had it 15 years. Dunno whether to try and trade it in or get it serviced with new seat and grips etc.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Extra seat height seemed fine; still can put heel on peddle with straight leg. But after feeling dodgy last weekend after my ride, I gave exercise a swerve this week.

Saw a very committed rider in the dark last night. Fair play, but commitment beyond me.

Ditchling Borstall is a 4 on mapmyride as it happens.

Bike is looking a bit tired now. Had it 15 years. Dunno whether to try and trade it in or get it serviced with new seat and grips etc.

Do the work yourself. We're here to talk you through it. You can then join the retro chic bunch (granny gear included). :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here