Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Morning :wave:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks.

It would be easy to forget we are actually a quality football team with plenty going on.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Proper :facepalm:.

I forgot to reset my alarm so I'm up an hour early.
Sat here all ready for work, and I sure as hell ain't going in early

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They won't be happy until we are 9-5.

Like everyone else I rallied against starting late main due to not wanting to finish late.
But I doubt I could even do early starts, now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Van!

They are taking bikes off the road.
Joining 2 and a bit neighbouring duties and sending 2 posties out with 'golf' trollies.

There's less staff needed as we take all the big packets you couldn't get on a bike.
They are obviously moving us away from local depots, so one day we will all be a central hub.

It's not ideal, but as with everything it's easy enough to make it work, if you put your mind to it.

Which is where plenty of my colleagues are failing as change and Royal Mail don't exactly go hand in hand.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ever so slowly getting the threads juggled around.

It's a lot easier @ 5:45 than it is @15:45.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Off in a minute, cheers for the reminder.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Out of interest - what gears does everyone have?

I'm battling so far with a standard 53/39 and 12-25 on the back. I'd be interested to know what everyone else has, why they have that set up, and how they get on with it?

I may have a very specific gear help question to ask the geeks at some point in the near future, but I'll soldier on for now and see how this week off work and more rides under my belt goes first I think.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Just had a look on my mobile and saw a few pics from the beacon, does anyone know how to upload them without a usb plugin?

Don't know what gears i've got atm, sold my Road bike for one i'm getting this coming month (hopefully) and i'm sure no-one would want to know my cheapo MTB gears :thumbsup:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Out of interest - what gears does everyone have?

I'm battling so far with a standard 53/39 and 12-25 on the back. I'd be interested to know what everyone else has, why they have that set up, and how they get on with it?

I may have a very specific gear help question to ask the geeks at some point in the near future, but I'll soldier on for now and see how this week off work and more rides under my belt goes first I think.

53/12 is a big gear! On the other hand, 39/25 is reasonably low. I have 52/39 and 13/23 but only have to deal with short and steep with that, at worst.

A compact would probably be ideal for you to give you plenty of gearing on the low end. That does mean changing your chainset/front mech though. I'd go as small as you can on both front rings as your chainset allows, if you want to minimise cost.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
53/12 is a big gear! On the other hand, 39/25 is reasonably low. I have 52/39 and 13/23 but only have to deal with short and steep with that, at worst.

A compact would probably be ideal for you to give you plenty of gearing on the low end. That does mean changing your chainset/front mech though. I'd go as small as you can on both front rings as your chainset allows, if you want to minimise cost.

Funnily enough the big gear 53/12 isn't where my problem is - I love pushing that downhill and along the flat where wind and/or decent tarmac permit. My problem is the low 39/25 not being quite low enough on some of the nightmare little climbs round my way.

I was hoping you wouldn't suggest a compact as I'm a bit reluctant to cave in and go down that route. A lot of my routes are reasonably flat for the most part and I'd hate to lose top end speed when the going is good. Your advice is always rock solid though so I'll be giving it some serious thought. I was hoping I might get away with changing the rear cassette instead to say a 12 -27 and hope that little bit extra might just be enough?, especially as my fitness & legs slowly, hopefully, improve. I know it's hard for you to say if a 12/27 would be ok for me as your legs and engine are obviously in a different class to mine ( I'd struggle up most things round here on a 39/23!) but what hopefully you will be able to help with is if that cassette (should you think it's worth a try) would be alright without changing the 53/39 and if a medium length rear mech would take it or if I'd need to switch to a long length? For cost reasons I'd like to get any changes right first time, although I suppose I could easily enough sell on anything that doesn't work and keep doing the second hand market for replacements until I'm sorted.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I pushed one of my bikes up to 27, it is noticeable.

I think (although in no way sure) I went from 12-25, to 13-27.
Without major change to my set up.

But I did notice the loss of 12, more than the gain of 27.
That might be more about me and the enjoyment I get from properly hacking along.

Looking at your photos I'm not entirely convinced your derailleur is 'right'.
But that might be me the photo or something I'm just not seeing right.

I'm sure a 3rd 4th 5th opinion will come along and between us all fear not, we'll get there.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I pushed one of my bikes up to 27, it is noticeable.

I think (although in no way sure) I went from 12-25, to 13-27.
Without major change to my set up.

But I did notice the loss of 12, more than the gain of 27.
That might be more about me and the enjoyment I get from properly hacking along.

Looking at your photos I'm not entirely convinced your derailleur is 'right'.
But that might be me the photo or something I'm just not seeing right.

I'm sure a 3rd 4th 5th opinion will come along and between us all fear not, we'll get there.

For a while I was only seeing 13-27 available and thought that was it, but have since seen that 12-27 is available too. I'm the same as you, I love hacking along on the flat with a tail wind and down little hills (confidence is slowly growing to really push it down some bigger descents now too without bricking it too much :lol: ) and I'm reluctant to lose that pleasure at the expense of something just a tad easier going uphill. But I think this uphill problem might just have to be sorted with gears eventually for me as I'm no spring chicken and surely there's only a certain level of fitness and jumbo calves I'll be able to attain at my time in life no matter how many miles I put in :blush:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here