Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh and a couple of other things.

Firstly a bit of perspective.

We are very lucky to be living here, (for loads of reasons!) but even more so for cycling terms.
We have just about everything within a 5 mile jaunt.
Flat straights, rolling countryside, and some brutal climbs, which is the highlight.
What they lack in length they make up for in gradient.
You didn't see too many tour climbs with the same gradient, traditionally they are 8-14%.
This years Vuelta did have the gradients and it nearly brought them to a stand still.

The fact we can even get up most of these climbs ***cough*** Cobb Lane ***cough***, is not to be sniffed at.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
and.

I think I've said this before.
But I found a training programme in some cycling fitness magazine.

The programme was useless as it had no bearing on the real world, and was impossible to follow, while working and being a parent.
It was based around cadence, heart rate, Garmin info sort of stuff, a poor man's version of how BW won the tour.

So I followed the instructions, and set my average levels by riding a reasonable climb 5 times.
Sorry I forget all the specifics.

Anyway my point is.
I soon lost interest in the training but it was quite shocking how much I was 'over cooking it' on climbs, and how much easier and eventually quicker it was just by learning my capabilities and riding within that.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Funnily enough the big gear 53/12 isn't where my problem is - I love pushing that downhill and along the flat where wind and/or decent tarmac permit. My problem is the low 39/25 not being quite low enough on some of the nightmare little climbs round my way.

Answer to that is get a little more leg speed in the 13! As a junior I was limited to 52/14 and raced in elite races. I promise you, you can dispense with the 13 and adapt!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Oh and a couple of other things.

Firstly a bit of perspective.

We are very lucky to be living here, (for loads of reasons!) but even more so for cycling terms.
We have just about everything within a 5 mile jaunt.
Flat straights, rolling countryside, and some brutal climbs, which is the highlight.
What they lack in length they make up for in gradient.
You didn't see too many tour climbs with the same gradient, traditionally they are 8-14%.
This years Vuelta did have the gradients and it nearly brought them to a stand still.

The fact we can even get up most of these climbs ***cough*** Cobb Lane ***cough***, is not to be sniffed at.

Well said that man!...But I'll raise your Cobb Lane with a Chick Hill, Robertson's Hill and Stonestile Lane ;) The latter caught me out badly on Sunday although I think I've now just about conquered the middle one by pacing myself better up Old London Road. Went up Queensway today thinking it was going to be a proper slog, but thankfully it was long but much steadier than I thought and not too bad at all.

Disclaimer: I've no idea what your Cobb Lane is like but I'll still raise yer anyway as I know the three I've mentioned are a bloody nightmare!

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
From the top of the beacon with my 2mp mobile or something,
These Pics are several months old,
I didn't climb the beacon, i went up via the tank trap place on my MTB, more to come.

IMG-20120922-00192.jpgIMG-20120922-00193.jpgIMG-20120922-00194.jpgIMG-20120922-00195.jpgIMG-20120922-00196.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Answer to that is get a little more leg speed in the 13! As a junior I was limited to 52/14 and raced in elite races. I promise you, you can dispense with the 13 and adapt!

Good point! I could then perhaps even up it to a 13/29 to really give me somewhere to go on the brutal climbs. I suppose I'd have some bigger gaps in the middle though but you can't have it all ways, which is a shame. I suspect I'd definitely need to go long cage on the rear mech with a 13/29 though?

Funnily enough I was reading Cav's book today and he mentioned about junior gearing being limited. Theory being to prevent damage to young joints & muscles he suggested.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Funnily enough I was reading Cav's book today and he mentioned about junior gearing being limited. Theory being to prevent damage to young joints & muscles he suggested.

Yep, aim is to encourage good technique and minimise injuries.

Don't know about now but it was 52/14 for juniors and 52/17 for under 16s.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yep, aim is to encourage good technique and minimise injuries.

Don't know about now but it was 52/14 for juniors and 52/17 for under 16s.

That's interesting to know because I'm hoping to get my 13 yr old his own road bike next year if he manages ok with good confident road safety and gear changing on my mountain bike with a triple ( he'll have to suffer the full sus on the road for now like I did :lol: ). I suppose a triple would be the way to go for him so he doesn't do any damage and can always keep a high cadence with ease.

I must confess that although I'm aware of trying to keep a high cadence because my knees aren't in the best shape, and I know it makes sound technical sense, I still push gears at times for a little bit longer than I should before realising I'm fighting a losing a battle and changing down.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I must confess to not actually knowing what my gear ratios are. I'm assuming a compact, but I simply don't know.

Given 1066's and IL's in depth discussion on the subject, I'm thinking I'm better off staying ignorant on the matter for now...

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I must confess to not actually knowing what my gear ratios are. I'm assuming a compact, but I simply don't know.

Given 1066's and IL's in depth discussion on the subject, I'm thinking I'm better off staying ignorant on the matter for now...

Well given that sportive time you posted and the sort of times I've been doing on shorter runs than that I think a little knowledge is proving to be a dangerous thing for me :lol:

Whatever it is you're riding it seems to work for you really well. But if curiosity is killing your cat, just look on the front chain rings and it should say. You may have trouble finding the numbers printed on the cassette though, you'll just have to count the teeth I'm afraid.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

Doesn't make any difference if you're working comfortably within then!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Exactly as IL says. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I've had my mountain bike for years but only know it's a 27 gear triple, no idea of the actual breakdown as I've no need as it meets all my needs comfortably. Only know my road bike numbers because I've essentially run out of gears.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Out of interest - what gears does everyone have?

I'm battling so far with a standard 53/39 and 12-25 on the back. I'd be interested to know what everyone else has, why they have that set up, and how they get on with it?

I may have a very specific gear help question to ask the geeks at some point in the near future, but I'll soldier on for now and see how this week off work and more rides under my belt goes first I think.

At the risk of angering the most purist of the geeks, I have a confession to make. I don't know what my actual gear ratio is, but I have a triple set. Yes, a triple. It gets me up the most brutal of climbs (admittedly quite slowly at times) and I don't run out of gears at the other end of the spectrum.

People call the small cog my 'granny wheel'. I don't care. It's not cheating, I'm still riding my bike. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
At the risk of angering the most purist of the geeks, I have a confession to make. I don't know what my actual gear ratio is, but I have a triple set. Yes, a triple. It gets me up the most brutal of climbs (admittedly quite slowly at times) and I don't run out of gears at the other end of the spectrum.

People call the small cog my 'granny wheel'. I don't care. It's not cheating, I'm still riding my bike. Can't recommend it highly enough.

I'm in the triple gang as well. Got to love my Scott Speedster S30. :)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm in the triple gang as well. Got to love my Scott Speedster S30. :)

Oh, that's a new name then...I thought you was the founder member of the"big gay goose"club :lol:

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

I'm 'sort of' in the triple gang too, although I have no idea whether the inner ring works at all as I've never used it. 53-39-34(?) on the front, 12-25 on training wheels, 11-23 on the race wheels (not used them for a while...). I'm commuting on 46-15 fixed though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here