Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For me it the optimum 'me time'.
The last thing I'd want to do is spoil it with music.

Plus (and I can say this as it's geeks) I love the sound of my bikes when free wheeling.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
There is that too of course. Been on the Norman's Bay run this morning and listening to some of the bird song out there was a real pleasure. Not sure I like my free wheeling sound though to be honest, bit noisy for me on mine...good incentive to keep pushing those pedals though :)

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Think there is a difference between the general peace and tranquillity of the rolling hills of the Sussex Downs to my general urban commute along the Lewis Road or the Old Shoreham Road and I can assure you there is nothing pleasant about the general clanking and clattering of my commuter bike. We don't have the best of relationships although the general level of maintenance have a lot to be desired.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Think there is a difference between the general peace and tranquillity of the rolling hills of the Sussex Downs to my general urban commute along the Lewis Road or the Old Shoreham Road and I can assure you there is nothing pleasant about the general clanking and clattering of my commuter bike. We don't have the best of relationships although the general level of maintenance have a lot to be desired.
Very true.
But you are also putting forward a strong case for having your wits and all your senses about you.

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
I wear headphones for long training rides at night, especially in the lanes. I get plenty of warning from headlights of any approaching vehicles and it makes the time pass a lot quicker! Other than that, especially for commuting, I don't. Pretty much every ride incorporates at least one near miss and I just can't afford to be without my hearing.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
If i'm cycling with a pal, I don't wear headphones for the obvious reason of talking.
Although if i'm on my own, I just "use" one ear to listen.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Hows the Glasgow world cup looking on the telly is anyone on here watching it. The Germans are doing very well, did anyone see the Kenny crash, we couldn't work out who's fault it was, three big accidents yesterday keeping the local hospitals busy, lets hope all involved are back up and cycling soon, the poor French guy looks like he had broken his collar bone.

The Trott rocks, another perfect elimination race to end a rowdy Saturday session.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
I did watch a few minutes, saw Varnish and James win the Womens team sprint against the Australians.
Didn't see the Kenny crash live but watched it on the BBC website, not from a track cycling view, looked like Kenny went into the back off the German and wiped out the Frenchman, surprised he didn't take out the German though.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Hows the Glasgow world cup looking on the telly is anyone on here watching it. The Germans are doing very well, did anyone see the Kenny crash, we couldn't work out who's fault it was, three big accidents yesterday keeping the local hospitals busy, lets hope all involved are back up and cycling soon, the poor French guy looks like he had broken his collar bone.

The Trott rocks, another perfect elimination race to end a rowdy Saturday session.

Looking pretty good on tv, although give me road racing any day of the week. The Kenny crash was totally his fault, clipped the German's rear wheel with his front and the German hadn't left his racing line. Nasty looking track burns and it made mince meat of his skin suit...that's going to be sore this morning!

Lovely ride by Trott in the elimination race and a very impressive ride by Rebecca James in the sprint to take bronze, having previously lost out to Varnish.

As Boardman said... 'man of the match' has to go to Irishman Martyn Irvine. They interviewed him afterwards and he said he's looking at going onto the road with a pro team. Looked very attacking so would be great to see another Sean Kelly type rider in the pro peloton in the future. Here's hoping.

Enjoy today's offerings and don't forget to give us a report of your weekend on here when you're back :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nice video.

I've often wondered why the Japanese didn't cross over, and now I know.

Very sedate tracks.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
As Boardman said... 'man of the match' has to go to Irishman Martyn Irvine. They interviewed him afterwards and he said he's looking at going onto the road with a pro team. Looked very attacking so would be great to see another Sean Kelly type rider in the pro peloton in the future. Here's hoping.

Matt Rendell rushing around like a man rushing around. A good podcast summary half way down this linked page.

Crashes, Hansen having the superman gene (I have been saying for ages SKY sign him up), Irvine joining an US team, Jess Varnish name being removed from a Virgin train!

Varnish and James add to Great Britain medal tally at Glasgow Track World Cup

Come on 1066 FM, tune into the track, we are road racing fanatics like you, but once you step into a veledrome you will be hooked as much, in our eyes these meets are up their with some of our best TDF stages.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Somewhere on my bucket list is attending The 6 days in Ghent. (and dialysis)

But I must admit the first and probably second year of track after an Olympics doesn't quite hold my attention.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Somewhere on my bucket list is attending The 6 days in Ghent. (and dialysis)

But I must admit the first and probably second year of track after an Olympics doesn't quite hold my attention.

I've been, it's quite mental. Was 98 so may have changed a little but I remember you could barely see the other side of the track it was so thick with cigarette smoke! Heavy, heavy booze as well.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The elimination is an odd event.

It seems like half the field got slung out for not really trying.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyone fancying coming over to NZ (no I'm not paying) to fettle my gears for me?
No probs.

Although be warned you'll be on a fixie penny farthing, by the time I'm finished.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here