Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'll give it a listen. Might come in handy on Saturday as I get stuff ready for a barbecue. :)

It was ok, some nice stuff.
I think I can fairly safely say I'm done on Mr Armstrong. Although there was a couple decent points.

Previously I listened to another BBC podcast with Andy Murray's former trainer Miles McWotsit.
When drug testing came up and the wider implications of cycling, his first words were:-

'well they haven't invented a drug that can make you hit a winning forehand'.

I genuinely very nearly screamed.

He went on to be a little bit more realistic but you already knew it was based on'not in my sport'.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I had a lovely short ride yesterday the other side of the Downs - Plumpton, Chailey, Ditchling etc. Really nice in the clear blue sky and sunshine. The lanes were filthy though! Almost wished I was on my mountain bike at times ploughing through the mud!

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I think I can fairly safely say I'm done on Mr Armstrong. Although there was a couple decent points.

Previously I listened to another BBC podcast with Andy Murray's former trainer Miles McWotsit.
When drug testing came up and the wider implications of cycling, his first words were:-

He went on to be a little bit more realistic but you already knew it was based on'not in my sport'.

There were tennis players on the wider Operación Puerto list

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
According to McC, only tennis players that live in the arse-end of Argentina, away from the testers, have been caught using PED's :facepalm:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Back on the subject of this weekend's UCI WC. Annoyingly, I could have had free tickets, but the marketing PLUMS responsible, have only yesterday responded to my boss' request of two months ago. Too late to organise anything now.

Still - will catch some of it on the TV. The venue looks superb. I'm really impressed. The jockos have spent our money well.

[tweet]269128204378312705[/tweet]

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

Exactly, no benefit from steroids in a power game or epo in matches that last up to 5 hours or testosterone for recovery when you're playing a match every day!!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Were it not stopping for a car passing in front of me, I might have offed a cyclist coming home tonight. Pitch black, but no lights or a helmet. Twunt.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Were it not stopping for a car passing in front of me, I might have offed a cyclist coming home tonight. Pitch black, but no lights or a helmet. Twunt.

It must be cyclists who don't drive, or at least not very much who do this (or those with IQ's less than their age). I've driven for 20 years and frankly, when I'm on the bike, even in the day I'm looking to make myself as visible as possible, and of course, especially at night. Mental the risks people take.

The other fellow cycling twunts is those I often feel like ripping their headphones out as I go past obviously listening to their ipods or what have you. As if it's not enough to have your wits about you tackling busy traffic, you decide to take out one of your more important senses (which assumes they have zero common sense!) by having music on.

If cycling safety is to be properly advanced, some of these idiots need to sort themselves out (and the light jumpers!), because it really does tarnish the rest of us who do try to abide by common sense and the rules with the same idiot brush...

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Yep, bought these recently Shimano A530 Road Pedals | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Best price I could find anywhere, free delivery and arrived really quickly. Always shop around for any items you want though, they're not always the cheapest, but they were for these.
I got those same pedals. Not the prettiest, but do a really good job.

My last CRC order was a right cock up. The website showed something as being in stock, but wasn't, so my paying for next day delivery was my biggest gripe. I rung up and had a huge moan and in the end they shipped my order to me twice, but only charged me the once.

Apart from that one incident they have been really good. I'd also recommend shopping around as JE James and Wiggle can sometimes be cheaper.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
I got those same pedals. Not the prettiest, but do a really good job.

My last CRC order was a right cock up. The website showed something as being in stock, but wasn't, so my paying for next day delivery was my biggest gripe. I rung up and had a huge moan and in the end they shipped my order to me twice, but only charged me the once.

Apart from that one incident they have been really good. I'd also recommend shopping around as JE James and Wiggle can sometimes be cheaper.
Shop from Wiggle regulary along with Evans cycles and South Downs bikes, as i can try the items out in store, although i've never seen/heard off JE James, may give it a try :thumbsup:

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
It must be cyclists who don't drive, or at least not very much who do this (or those with IQ's less than their age). I've driven for 20 years and frankly, when I'm on the bike, even in the day I'm looking to make myself as visible as possible, and of course, especially at night. Mental the risks people take.

The other fellow cycling twunts is those I often feel like ripping their headphones out as I go past obviously listening to their ipods or what have you. As if it's not enough to have your wits about you tackling busy traffic, you decide to take out one of your more important senses (which assumes they have zero common sense!) by having music on.

If cycling safety is to be properly advanced, some of these idiots need to sort themselves out (and the light jumpers!), because it really does tarnish the rest of us who do try to abide by common sense and the rules with the same idiot brush...

While I agree with everything else you post and are amazed by the lack of visibility and safety gear I do not think that necessarily listening to music/radio distracts you from your ability to ride safely and interact with traffic. I listen to my music at a fairly low volume when cycling where I can still hear traffic sounds and are just as aware of any dangers as a car driver that does the same.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wiggle is my first stop, unless it's clothing, then it's Prendas.

Chain Reaction & JE James have a look in.
As do Fat Birds and Winstanley.

I'll not be touching Rutland again, and I rarely use Evans, for no real reason.

I got my last celeste bar tape from Hargroves!.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
While I agree with everything else you post and are amazed by the lack of visibility and safety gear I do not think that necessarily listening to music/radio distracts you from your ability to ride safely and interact with traffic. I listen to my music at a fairly low volume when cycling where I can still hear traffic sounds and are just as aware of any dangers as a car driver that does the same.

I just can't get my head around having music in your ears, however low, whilst on the road on a bike. Nothing wrong with my hearing but already I hate it on a windy day when I can't pick up every little nuance of traffic and gear change/bike noise quite as normal. Personally I wouldn't give up one little bit of my hearing to earphones whilst on a bike.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here