Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Just saw an advert for 'The War On Britain Roads' on the Beeb this Wednesday, focusing on the big, Cyclists Vs Motorists debate.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Do the work yourself. We're here to talk you through it. You can then join the retro chic bunch (granny gear included). :)

DIY is definitely the way forward. With some excellent posters on here to help out and youtube tutorials galore it's hard to go far wrong, and very satisfying saving yourself a good few bob and getting to know your own bike.

Tonight I came home to a new Veloce 13-29 rear cassette bought from Wiggle at an excellent price (loads of reviews on there said it was a great bit of kit for the price and really not worth the step up in price to Centaur and beyond). I fitted it along with my two keenest cycling kids so they can hopefully learn something and it went on a treat. Best result of all is that it works smooth as butter with the rear derailleur and shifting is now the sweetest I've ever had without a single bit of fettling, bar adjusting the b screw slightly to drop the height as the top jockey wheel was now too close.

So if you're reading this SB, I'm pleased to report that the rear derailleur is obviously sound, as I was having some similar concerns to you there. Also worried I might have to fork out for a long cage to cope with the 29, but looks like I must have a medium rather than a short cage on, and as I say, everything's running like a dream now :O

This is my jigsaw puzzle complete for now as I also invested in some good quality lights so I can go out on night rides on unlit roads too. All that remains is to hope this 29 cog is going to get me up those nightmare climbs round here and I'm sorted! If I keep failing miserably I might have to take Sam's suggestion of going compact but I really don't want to do that as it'll feel a bit like an admission of failure to me.

Edit: I also forgot to report back before that the chain drop problems I was having I managed to sort out a while back thanks to Sam's excellent advice about setting the angle right on the front mech, so thanks for that :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I fitted it along with my two keenest cycling kids so they can hopefully learn something and it went on a treat.
Are you sure you want to be teaching the jnrs that kind of language?

I know I would say this, as it's 'my school', as opposed to [MENTION=12656]Pantani[/MENTION]'s 'school' of balls out or be a gay goose.
But taping out a comfortable/easy consistent cadence at the bottom of the climbs in the biggest gear needed, is the way to go.
You can then push on when the climbing is good and you know you're going to make it.
Not forget to breathe!.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
DIY is definitely the way forward. With some excellent posters on here to help out and youtube tutorials galore it's hard to go far wrong, and very satisfying saving yourself a good few bob and getting to know your own bike.

Tonight I came home to a new Veloce 13-29 rear cassette bought from Wiggle at an excellent price (loads of reviews on there said it was a great bit of kit for the price and really not worth the step up in price to Centaur and beyond). I fitted it along with my two keenest cycling kids so they can hopefully learn something and it went on a treat. Best result of all is that it works smooth as butter with the rear derailleur and shifting is now the sweetest I've ever had without a single bit of fettling, bar adjusting the b screw slightly to drop the height as the top jockey wheel was now too close.

So if you're reading this SB, I'm pleased to report that the rear derailleur is obviously sound, as I was having some similar concerns to you there. Also worried I might have to fork out for a long cage to cope with the 29, but looks like I must have a medium rather than a short cage on, and as I say, everything's running like a dream now :O

This is my jigsaw puzzle complete for now as I also invested in some good quality lights so I can go out on night rides on unlit roads too. All that remains is to hope this 29 cog is going to get me up those nightmare climbs round here and I'm sorted! If I keep failing miserably I might have to take Sam's suggestion of going compact but I really don't want to do that as it'll feel a bit like an admission of failure to me.

Edit: I also forgot to report back before that the chain drop problems I was having I managed to sort out a while back thanks to Sam's excellent advice about setting the angle right on the front mech, so thanks for that :thumbsup:
Oh sorry well done, by the way.

Fingers crossed it all holds together, and your done fettling, for a while.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
DIY it is then. Thanks for the encouragement chaps.

That's the spirit :thumbsup:

Everyone's been a great help to me here that's for sure. You've got a great resource for quality advice, encouragement and friendly banter when things don't always go quite right.

Good luck with whatever you do, and don't forget to keep us all updated on your progress.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks SB. The kids were quite safe on the language front tonight as things went amazingly well. I would have soon shooed them away though had things turned nasty :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

It's like a game of spot the cleaner rider.

EDIT: No laughing at the comment at 4:30

It's a shame as that should be a SBBAOCFYVF film.

Sadly it barely warrants being in the same thread as our illustrious film title.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Aye, it's a cracking attack, but considering all the chasing group have since served lengthy bans then it's not really surprising. Out of the top 10 only Kloden appears clean, and he was at T-Mobile so doubt he's that clean.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Todays afternoon drama on radio 4: Beryl_ A Love Story on Two Wheels. Haven't listened yet, ready on my ipod for tomorrow, hope it does her justice.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
quick question...

any of you guys ever entered l'etape du tour?

I really want to do it this time round (as the route is a bit milder!). Anyway, I rushed home from the post-match pint expecting tickets to go on sale at 11:00pm (midnight in france) as it says registration opens on the 28th November but still nothing.

Anyone have any previous experience of what time it usually opens?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
quick question...

I really want to do it this time round (as the route is a bit milder!). Anyway, I rushed home from the post-match pint expecting tickets to go on sale at 11:00pm (midnight in france) as it says registration opens on the 28th November but still nothing.

The chaps on the Bikeradar and/or cyclingnews forums, will be all over this.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
quick question...

Watched it a few times and its brutal. Crowds come out in force, as does the sun often, mental climbs and desents, take the training seriously as unlike the Tour you ride on mass in big groups. I managed the London to Cantubury stage and thats when I was fit and rode a bike regulary, even then I knew I would never be able to manage one of the mountain etapes.

Hope you get on, it will be a fantastic experience and you will then get to hang around after and see the real pros show how its done.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Thought I'd give as bit of an update as to how I've gotten on after seeking advice. Received my new wheels on Monday (went for the Planet X AL30s, they are the Model B replacements I believe) and installed them after a quick trip to halfords to purchase the required tools; freewheel remover and the chain whip. I also put on my new winter tyres, Conti Gatorskin Hardshells, and installed some mud guards, Crud Roadracers Mk2, due to my very low clearance.

Just need to adjust the gears now, which I'm rather apprehensive about. The last time I attempted it I managed to fray the cable which resulted in having to take the bike to my LBS with my tail between my legs.

The next item(s) on my shopping list are lights, well actually I'm going to put them on my Xmas list. For the rear I'm thinking a Moon Shield 60 and for the front I'm tempted to go with one of the Chinese LEDs, e.g. TrustFire A8 CREE XM-L T6. I've already spent way to long researching and am no closer to deciding what to go with. I want something suitable to very dark roads (without blinding drivers) but also to use on mountain bike trails. Any suggestions or comments?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here