NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It does look a bit Windy Milla

Test-Team-2.jpg

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
There's not a lot of guidance about for set up.

It's all about what bit aches.
Hot spots are knees, lower back, shoulders & wrists.
If one part seems too disproportionally pained then tinker away.

But remember you're in a fairly unnatural position, so the further/longer you go, the less comfortable it'll become.

When sitting 'normally' on a road bike, you shouldn't be able to see the front wheel spindle, due to it being behind the handlebars.
If you get what I mean.

Sorry for wording that last message to give the impression I was talking about one thing. I've found myself pushing back over the saddle so wondered if a bit more hight might improve efficient riding.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Hi chaps. I recently got myself a pretty cheap road bike, a B'twin Triban 3 from Decathlon for £300. The bug has bitten and I have a few queries:
> The reviews for it are really good, but say it's let down by it's rather heavy wheels, so I'm looking to replace them. Can you recommend any for around £150 that would be a noticeable improvement?
> Any recommendations for full waterproof overshoes? I noticed some toe covers recommended earlier in the thread.
> Any recommendations for a waterproof jacket?
> And finally I'm trying to work out what I'll use as a cycle computer/gps/navigation. I'm currently using my iPhone shoved in my pocket for Strava, I'm wondering whether to get a waterproof handlebar holder for it to give me stats on the go. Battery life does concern me with this setup, on my first big ride (47m, big for me) it conked out after an hour, but I think that's because it got soaking wet. Any recommendations? I'm wondering whether to ask Santa for a Garmin Edge 800...

First up, you've come to the right place for advice here. The geeks have been brilliant helping me out with all manner of advice having got back on a road bike recently after years without one. SB & Glanders in particular have even gone the extra mile and helped me out with parts! - lovely people and this is probably the friendliest thread on NSC.

I'd pass on the advice that was given to me about checking out the second hand forums for bits. This one is excellent BikeRadar.com View forum - Road parts and moves along pretty swiftly so check regularly and be patient if you can for just what you want as it's bound to come up. There's loads of wheel sets appearing on there across the price range at decent prices. Also bike computers/gps' come up at good prices too. Ebay is worth looking at too of course and in the age of the internet you can have hours of fun researching prices and reviews of the items that catch your eye. Personally I like buying second hand a lot of the time as you can get so much better spec for your money that way.

Happy shopping and cycling.

Last edited:

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Hi chaps. I recently got myself a pretty cheap road bike, a B'twin Triban 3 from Decathlon for £300. The bug has bitten and I have a few queries:
1 The reviews for it are really good, but say it's let down by it's rather heavy wheels, so I'm looking to replace them. Can you recommend any for around £150 that would be a noticeable improvement?
2 Any recommendations for full waterproof overshoes? I noticed some toe covers recommended earlier in the thread.
3 Any recommendations for a waterproof jacket?
4 And finally I'm trying to work out what I'll use as a cycle computer/gps/navigation. I'm currently using my iPhone shoved in my pocket for Strava, I'm wondering whether to get a waterproof handlebar holder for it to give me stats on the go. Battery life does concern me with this setup, on my first big ride (47m, big for me) it conked out after an hour, but I think that's because it got soaking wet. Any recommendations? I'm wondering whether to ask Santa for a Garmin Edge 800...

1 - £150 for a wheel set will get you a good entry level set (entry level to proper wheels not ones made of steel). Keep an eye out on Wiggle, CRC and JE James (Mavic Aksium Pair Wheelset Black Shimano | JE James Cycles) for sales.
2 - Overshoes aren't something I've been into, as when it gets wet I would go mountain biking and overshoes in the forest are like a wooden shield in front a nuke.
3 - Altura make some good "cheap" clothing. If not in your price range then I'm sure one of the other geeks will point you in the right direction
4 - Give a, give a, give a Garmin. I've got the Edge 300. I come off my bike once and cracked the screen. At the time it was a fixed £80 for a repair (steep for a screen, but if you have it run over it's still £80). It was off to Pompey and back with me inside a week. Service is excellent and built quality is immense. Defo go with the Garmin.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm in a fairly similar position to you, except I haven't got my bike yet.
I know what I need and what ones, here goes:

Bike £700 (£70 free spend in shop) (Light Blue and White)
Jacket (Blue and White Or Black)
Winter Gloves (Blue)
Overshoes (Black/Blue)
Giro Helmet (Light blue and White)

Not bothering with the Garmin although it is the best brand for GPS, not expensive for me.

As you can tell, whatever colour the bike is, I wear that colour :thumbsup:

I'll probably but the gloves and overshoes in the same shop that i buy my bike from and use the £70.

You really can't go wrong with one of these - Giro Transfer Road Bike Helmet Blue White Uni 54-61cm | eBay Any number of sellers on ebay doing them at this fantastic price.

Superb for the price! Just google the reviews and you'll see there's really no need to splash out on more expensive models unless you intend to really push the boat out. I'm over the moon with mine.

I'm not too fussed about colours of my clothes - my only concern is functionality and visibilty really. However, I confess to being swayed by colours when buying new bits for the bike recently :blush:, although they were still the parts I wanted anyway. It went from the first pic when I bought it to the second pic now. I'm trying to negate the Palace colours as much as possible and lean it much more towards blue. Tool/water bottles will probably be next.

IMG-20121006-00285.jpg2012-11-09-920.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry for wording that last message to give the impression I was talking about one thing. I've found myself pushing back over the saddle so wondered if a bit more hight might improve efficient riding.
The right set up is there somewhere.

The bit I was alluding too is it's never going to be like sitting in your favourite armchair.

You don't want to be over stretching you're knees.
Naturally you shouldn't sell them short either!

The same principle applies to your elbows.

I've always been keen to have a proper bike fitting, usually about £20 - £30, I think.
Although I kind of think I'm so engrained fitting properly would still feel uncomfortable.

There's a fella in Partridge Green that does it.
He'll give you the dimensions of your optimum bike, which you send off to China with a good few hundred pounds.
And bingo you'll get a tailor made bike, by return.

Not that any of that helps you Moto.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
You really can't go wrong with one of these - Giro Transfer Road Bike Helmet Blue White Uni 54-61cm | eBay Any number of sellers on ebay doing them at this fantastic price.

Superb for the price! Just google the reviews and you'll see there's really no need to splash out on more expensive models unless you intend to really push the boat out. I'm over the moon with mine.

I'm not too fussed about colours of my clothes - my only concern is functionality and visibilty really. However, I confess to being swayed by colours when buying new bits for the bike recently :blush:, although they were still the parts I wanted anyway. It went from the first pic when I bought it to the second pic now. I'm trying to negate the Palace colours as much as possible and lean it much more towards blue. Tool/water bottles will probably be next.

View attachment 36313View attachment 36314

Well done on the work you've done. Your saddle looks to be pointing a way down, might be better in the long run to level that out.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton

View attachment 36313View attachment 36314

This is the bike i'm getting:
SPECIALIZED Allez Sport 2012 :: £700.00 :: BIKES :: Road Racing :: South Downs Bikes
With this helmet:
Giro Savant Helmet | Evans Cycles (white and Light blue)

So they did mix well, although i'm thinking changing the white bar tape to a light blue celeste bar tape on ???

What tyres did you put on?

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well done on the work you've done. Your saddle looks to be pointing a way down, might be better in the long run to level that out.
That's the least of his troubles.

You didn't notice the tyres are not aligned to the wheels. :shootself:

:kiss: :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Thanks, the work is in no small part thanks to the excellent advice you've given me :thumbsup:

Funnily enough on looking at that pic I thought the same about the saddle :lol: I've only ridden on it for a couple of rides up the road and the short commute to work and back today so far and it feels fine, but I realise it's probably not ideal long term. Hope to get out for some decent rides this weekend so will have to adjust it this week I think.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
This is the bike i'm getting:
SPECIALIZED Allez Sport 2012 :: £700.00 :: BIKES :: Road Racing :: South Downs Bikes
With this helmet:
Giro Savant Helmet | Evans Cycles (white and Light blue)

So they did mix well, although i'm thinking changing the white bar tape to a light blue celeste bar tape on ???

What tyres did you put on?

These tyres - http://www.probikekit.com/uk/tyres-tubes/bike-tyres/clincher-bike-tyres/vredestein-fortezza-tricomp-clincher-road-tyre.html

I'd recommend getting to a shop ( even halfords will do, but don't buy it from there) to try the Giro Transfer helmet. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised and it comes in at nearly half the price of the one you're looking to get. Of course, if you try on both and prefer the feel and fit of the more expensive one then go for that.

By the way, there's something about Specialized bikes that really appeals to me. Nice choice :thumbsup: Bike to work scheme?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
You mean the writing SB ? I did occur to me after I put the first one on but seeing as the old tyres were such a bugger to get off ( I snapped one tyre lever in the process of removing the second one) I was buggered if I was going to fanny about even more :lol: Anyway, I like the 'offset' look so put the second one on to match the first, so there :p

Or did you mean lining up everything nicely for the photo? The pic was taken at work during my break and I wasn't going to fanny around there either.

Had a quick descent to go down in the pouring rain on the way home from work today. I don't mind telling you I was shitting myself just a bit and was down on the drops with my hands covering the breaks in case of idiots in cars but desperately aware of trying not to use them. Them there tyres passed their first test a treat though thankfully.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The writing.

How the hell can you expect your mechanic to quickly find the valve.

That could cost you a tour :lol:

Don't get me started on the photo :lol:

No white background.
Cranks not at 6 o'clock.
Wheels off centre.

It's a freakin disaster!!!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Oh don't worry about the mechanic, ply him with cups of earl grey and he'll stay up all night tinkering - finding the valve in a hurry is the least of his worries. Out on the road I'll just borrow one of my doms bikes, how else do you think I got to be wearing the pink AND red jersey :p Point taken though, I see what you mean now, but shouldn't I be writing a letter of complaint to our Italian chums about that one though? - I thought I was being clever :blush:

I'll have a word with the photographer for you about the photo - however, I suspect he might just shrug his shoulders though and ask if he's bothered I'm afraid.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He may well have a point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here