Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Can a cycle cost 7k ?

Did some work for a guy today who had I have to say a very impressive bike hanging up in his garage that had cost him 7 grand.

Was all carbon fibre, wheels were over a grand each, the gear set 1.5 and the frame 4k.
Don't ask me manufacturer of the parts as i not got a clue

Total weight of the bike was just over 6kg.

Seems a lot for a casual rider ?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Can a cycle cost 7k ?

Did some work for a guy today who had I have to say a very impressive bike hanging up in his garage that had cost him 7 grand.

Was all carbon fibre, wheels were over a grand each, the gear set 1.5 and the frame 4k.

It's a fair whack but about half what you could pay.

It's usually the casual riders who pay that kind of money!

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Can a cycle cost 7k ?

I would never spend more than 2k,
Most expensive bike i've seen is around 15k although you can get better/cheaper or more expensive in some cases if you buy your own parts and make it yourself,
If money was no barrier i would spend hundreds on Garmin GPS, Helmets up to £200 etc :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can a cycle cost 7k ?

Road cycling has been seen as the new golf, for a few years now.
The MAMIL culture has gone some way to push prices very high.

The last time I 'made' it, my dream bike rolled in at just under 11k.

Being the most important component, the wheels, are what turns a bike into a super bike, once you've brought the frame.

For years manufacturers have been trying to develop electronic gear change.
In the last 18 months they have finally developed systems that work, so naturally there's a bit of extra cash there to.
Gears now actually go 'all the way up to 11', from the conventional.

The weight of a pro bike is regulated, for some bizarre reason I thought it was 7.2 kgs, Wiki say 6.8. (I'm pretty impressed with being that close.) So one man's just over 6 kilos is another man's just under 7 :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It is a lot. Most would do better to spend about 25% of that, still get a really good bike, and ride it for 10mins extra each time. For most, the 'benefits' of a 7k bike over something like a 1k bike aren't noticeable.
Or spend 50% on the bike and the other 3.5k on having a fair few kilos of fat sucked out of them :lol:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Road cycling has been seen as the new golf, for a few years now.
The MAMIL culture has gone some way to push prices very high.

The last time I 'made' it, my dream bike rolled in at just under 11k.

Being the most important component, the wheels, are what turns a bike into a super bike, once you've brought the frame.

For years manufacturers have been trying to develop electronic gear change.
In the last 18 months they have finally developed systems that work, so naturally there's a bit of extra cash there to.
Gears now actually go 'all the way up to 11', from the conventional.

The weight of a pro bike is regulated, for some bizarre reason I thought it was 7.2 kgs, Wiki say 6.8. (I'm pretty impressed with being that close.) So one man's just over 6 kilos is another man's just under 7 :lol:

The pro teams put stiffening bars into the down tube to make up the extra weight.

I'd definitely spend on the wheels as you can feel the difference. Although I'd be a bit scared of trashing them on the potholes round my way!

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Anyone remember that carbon honeycomb frame? Full bike weighed 4.x I think.

This one...
hpc_july_09_sampe_isotruss_2.jpg

World’s First IsoTruss Road Frame Launched - BikeRadar
Delta 7 | IsoTruss Bike Frames (2.3 lbs????)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here