Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Nice run out for you today then? I see you did the Beacon descent today (which I did yesterday), it was my first time going down it and some of the patches of wet leaves were disconcerting to say the least. I'm slowly building a bit faith in my Gator Hardshells now though, which I'm glad I put on for the winter.
Did you find out via Mapmyride?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No, we're both signed up to Strava. BS swore by this, so I gave it a go, and now I am quite addicted to it. Have a look Strava | Running and Cycling GPS Tracker, Performance Analytics, Maps, Clubs and Competition - it's brilliant.

I'm using the comparative tools a lot more now. I like the fact on a given segment you can click 'just my followers' to see how you compare against them, and also the comparison where you get a coloured dot for you, one for the KOM holder and one for the friend you click on and it shows where you all were on the profile and map at any given time. It is very useful and for anyone at least a bit competitive like myself, something to aim for on each ride.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I'm using the comparative tools a lot more now. I like the fact on a given segment you can click 'just my followers' to see how you compare against them, and also the comparison where you get a coloured dot for you, one for the KOM holder and one for the friend you click on and it shows where you all were on the profile and map at any given time. It is very useful and for anyone at least a bit competitive like myself, something to aim for on each ride.

I haven't really explored it that deeply yet - sounds interesting, I may have to have a look in a minute. Though I'm not sure I'll look too closely at how I compare on the climbs...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah, it was lovely out there today. Going down the Beacon is always a bit nerve wracking, if it's not wet leaves and mud then there'll be gravel on the corners. Or bits of flint. You really have to have your wits about you, especially when there are cars on the road whose drivers don't think that we cyclists should be there!

I use Vittoria Rubina Pro tyres, and they are brilliant - once you're confident in your tyres the descents flow that bit more quickly.
I have never cycled down Ditchling Beacon.

That's all.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How many people regardless of age will have their mum on the phone tonight telling them to be careful on their bikes!?

Bold Seagull (38).....

That's crediting mother with the capacity to see beyond the end of her nose.

Stat Brother (42)....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's a lot more fun than going up!!
It's a nice 70 mile loop from here, so it would be a shame to ride the distance but not the climb.

I do have fond L2B memories.
The big fella (like I can talk these days) steaming past me @ The Bull.
Giving it loads, with really short aggressive breathes.
It was as if he thought he could get enough speed up, to get him over the top.

He couldn't. :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I presume you've been down The Bostal? Now that is fun
It's hard to fathom which way will kill you the mostest.

Tight bend on gravel at 30 mph.

Crater strewn track at 30 mph.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If it don't get you one way...

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Hey @Horton's halftime iceberg, and obviously anyone else.

Have you listened to this weeks velocast podcast yet.

I think it's fair to say, myself and HHI come at this particular reference point from opposite directions.
Well this week I'd had enough, to the point I've even written to them :facepalm:.

I don't think this will get read out anytime soon:-

I thought I'd give it a go and listen to the velocast. My word I've never listened to two blokes speak more bullshit in all my life. I've only listened to half of the "All change at the top" cast and the way they rip into Millar is nigh on bullying and they seem to have forgotten about Rasmussen's AWOL time. Geez they are a waste of bandwidth!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought I'd give it a go and listen to the velocast. My word I've never listened to two blokes speak more bullshit in all my life. I've only listened to half of the "All change at the top" cast and the way they rip into Millar is nigh on bullying and they seem to have forgotten about Rasmussen's AWOL time. Geez they are a waste of bandwidth!

And they are turning 'professional', charging people for daily reports from big events.

They definitely have their targets, Millar & Sky to name 2.

I know attacking the UCI is like shooting fish but they do that well, all have plenty of sources we don't really use here, so that's pretty good.
As well as other cycling niches, Women's, cross et al.

But when it comes to the World Tour Pro Scene, I do find them hard to agree with.

Check out Cav's interview on Monday's The Daily Bacon Podcast (BBC), almost worth transcribing for the Lance thread.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Track back on next weekend, very excited. If you have'nt bagged your tickets you can still watch all the thrills and spills on the good ol BBC.

The BBC will bring you all the action from some of the biggest and most prestigious events in cycling.

Track Cycling World Cup 2012-13 series

Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome, Glasgow

Friday 16 November 1910-2210, BBC Red Button/online
Saturday 17 November 1300-1400, BBC One
Sunday 18 November 1345-1715, BBC Two/online

http://www.trackworldcup.co.uk/

My team are there now installing the velodrome's video display. Place must have been rocking last night - it's 100yds from Celtic Park.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Oh, and Stat - I thought on the topic of who VP BELONGS to, we'd already established that my having SAT and EATEN with her, trumps your longstanding long-distance lusting?

Sorry.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh, and Stat - I thought on the topic of who VP BELONGS to, we'd already established that my having SAT and EATEN with her, trumps your longstanding long-distance lusting?

Sorry.
Hans she got up and ran away, with a look of such terror you'd have thought you broke her seat. :lol:

I think that excludes you for ever more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here