Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Don't get your hopes up.

They won't be a miracle cure.

They were fine albeit a struggle getting them into my shoes, very nice and warm, however fell apart (not literally) when i went in BIG puddle, and will now be investing in [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] future overshoes :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That plasterers beading frame looks bloody 'orrible!... almost as desirable as that stupid one wheeled electric excuse for a bike. I wouldn't want either even if I had money to burn.

Giro helmets on the other hand :)... I've got the cheapest in the range I think - Giro Transfer - and I'm well happy with it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Pick the bones out of this one!

$T2eC16VHJGYE9nooiLgbBQh!nQd4!g~~60_57.JPG

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Fairly sensible advice though. I commuted by bike in London for 2 years. I just rode the whole time like every driver was a complete moron, about to do something stupid!

I know. Mate of mine who lives in London got put in hospital by a cab a few months back.

SB, put me on that bike and you could probably pick all the bones out of my spine.

Back to the action. Got wet yesterday morning. Went on a slightly shorter ride as forecast was for heavier rain, so wanted to avoid that. Had a bit of a slide on my climb, which prevented me doing it stopping just the once. Made up by going for a longer ride for the papers this morning.

Rose my saddle by 1.5cm when I got in. Wonder if it'll make a difference.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's not a lot of guidance about for set up.

It's all about what bit aches.
Hot spots are knees, lower back, shoulders & wrists.
If one part seems too disproportionally pained then tinker away.

But remember you're in a fairly unnatural position, so the further/longer you go, the less comfortable it'll become.

When sitting 'normally' on a road bike, you shouldn't be able to see the front wheel spindle, due to it being behind the handlebars.
If you get what I mean.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
although i would only ever use 2 colours
A mate built up a Colnago.

Black frame, he kept it black with white trim.
It looked nice but not quite right.
That is until he added a tiny bit of really dark metallic red, skewers and stuff.
Then it looked to business.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Hi chaps. I recently got myself a pretty cheap road bike, a B'twin Triban 3 from Decathlon for £300. The bug has bitten and I have a few queries:
> The reviews for it are really good, but say it's let down by it's rather heavy wheels, so I'm looking to replace them. Can you recommend any for around £150 that would be a noticeable improvement?
> Any recommendations for full waterproof overshoes? I noticed some toe covers recommended earlier in the thread.
> Any recommendations for a waterproof jacket?
> And finally I'm trying to work out what I'll use as a cycle computer/gps/navigation. I'm currently using my iPhone shoved in my pocket for Strava, I'm wondering whether to get a waterproof handlebar holder for it to give me stats on the go. Battery life does concern me with this setup, on my first big ride (47m, big for me) it conked out after an hour, but I think that's because it got soaking wet. Any recommendations? I'm wondering whether to ask Santa for a Garmin Edge 800...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hi chaps. I recently got myself a pretty cheap road bike, a B'twin Triban 3 from Decathlon for £300. The bug has bitten and I have a few queries:
> The reviews for it are really good, but say it's let down by it's rather heavy wheels, so I'm looking to replace them. Can you recommend any for around £150 that would be a noticeable improvement?
> Any recommendations for full waterproof overshoes? I noticed some toe covers recommended earlier in the thread.
> And finally I'm trying to work out what I'll use as a cycle computer/gps/navigation. I'm currently using my iPhone shoved in my pocket for Strava, I'm wondering whether to get a waterproof handlebar holder for it to give me stats on the go. Battery life does concern me with this setup, on my first big ride (47m, big for me) it conked out after an hour, but I think that's because it got soaking wet. Any recommendations? I'm wondering whether to ask Santa for a Garmin Edge 800...
£150 gets you on the ladder for most if not all reputable wheel manufactures:-

BikeRadar.com View topic - Best wheel upgrades?? Budget £200 tops!
I didn't read past the first answer which pretty much covers it.

Post 3055 has some overshoe recommendations.

IMO It's pretty hard to look past Garmin for all your cycle commuting needs.

Although you will have a computer that has more value than the bike.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

Anything for that price will be a noticeable improvement. Go for something reasonably robust if that's your only pair. Others have probably bought wheels more recently than me so may have specifics.

I find waterproof overshoes a must. I don't get cold feet but I HATE wet feet. I recently bought some dhb ones that doba reasonable job. Endurance and gore are also pretty reliable.

Waterproof jackets are very much, you get what you pay for. Breathable is a must. I used to commute in a gore jacket that was completely waterproof but I reckon I'd cook on a proper ride. Also depends on whether you'll be riding in a proper downpour or you need something for showers.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton

I'm in a fairly similar position to you, except I haven't got my bike yet.
I know what I need and what ones, here goes:

Bike £700 (£70 free spend in shop) (Light Blue and White)
Jacket (Blue and White Or Black)
Winter Gloves (Blue)
Overshoes (Black/Blue)
Giro Helmet (Light blue and White)

Not bothering with the Garmin although it is the best brand for GPS, not expensive for me.

As you can tell, whatever colour the bike is, I wear that colour :thumbsup:

I'll probably but the gloves and overshoes in the same shop that i buy my bike from and use the £70.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I use Strave, MotionX GPS (free GPS app), and have this iPhone holder which attaches to my bars. Topeak Drybag

I've used my iPhone4S for 60+miles and it's still had charge left. I'm also thinking of getting the Wahoo heart rate monitor and cadence sensor that can also utilise the iPhone.

You do have to set the iPhone up though to get the battery life you need for a longer ride. Turn Wifi, bluetooth and 3G off. Turn the brightness down as much as you can. Ensure all other apps are closed. Ensure there are no apps looking or push notifications etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here