Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'll get some shit for this but here goes...

I've followed cycling since '87 and seen plenty of doping scandals, suspicious performances etc but I'm still watching it, reading about it all these years later. Perhaps, me and 'fans' like me are part of the 'problem'.

There seems to be massive delight in trying to take Armstrong down with most of the noise coming from America and people who were probably turned on to cycling by Armstrong itself. With all the revelations in recent days from Jonathan Vaughters and Tyler Hamilton - America must be one, if not THE dirtiest nations when it comes to doping in cycling and they're newcomers ffs. Is / has any US cyclist been clean?

And while all this is going on, people are raving about the Vuelta. No doubt, its a great race but jeez, for me this is the biggest 'eye brow raiser' i've ever seen. Its right up there with the Gewiss 1-2-3's of the mid-90's. Utterly bonkers. Contador's served a ban and Valverede is pretty unrepentent about his doping too and as for Rodriguez....

I'll watch it this afternoon and enjoy it but i'll be keeping an open mind on these 'performances'.

It would be nice if those seemingly obsessed with nailing Armstrong would also do the same although for many theres good dopers and bad dopers

Sorry - 'rant' over!

carry on...
I'm trying to go and walk the dogs!

First, I think the USA are the dirtiest in all sport, not just cycling.

I believe in the current doping controls, which helps me to believe in the sport.
I don't believe in the people at the top of cycling.
If Lance-gate were to sweep the Pat McQuaid's of the cycling world, away, it would almost all be worth it.
I always think I'm 1 scandal away from packing the whole lot in.

This Vuelta has clearly be designed for a Spanish 1-2-3, and that's what they've got.
The stage distances are down, and so are the times (except yesterday).

Your right about being unrepentant, that certainly is tough to justify, and doesn't help the cause, in the long run.

Viva la GB.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Degenkolb, Cardoso and Cummings sign for Bold Flyers today. Although it seems stages at the moment are anything but predictable.

p.s. [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] - chain now oiled :thumbsup:

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
I have a Giant OCR4 with various improved parts for 'commuting' and winter rides, I only live at the Dials and work in North Laine, so commute is a little strong.

My exact ride. I'm calling it a commute from now on.

On another note...
How many of you guys enter any of the sportives around Sussex. Any opinions on them?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My exact ride. I'm calling it a commute from now on.

On another note...
How many of you guys enter any of the sportives around Sussex. Any opinions on them?
The SRS events are very good, well organised, and most importantly well signed.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
and don't tell me, 'it's actually running better than ever!'

The crank is still clicking, very annoying, it's not constant, but does seem to be from the bottom bracket. Until I sort the clicking (which let's face it is the most intolerable thing on a bike), I'm not noticing the chain!

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
The SRS events are very good, well organised, and most importantly well signed.

Thanks, that's good to know.
I was looking at the end of season one in a couple of weeks but waiting til spring may be more sensible as it would pretty much be the first ride on my new bike, which isn't even ready yet as work has got in the way recently.
are they generally pretty busy?

my main target is this next year:
Vätternrundan En - Vätternrundan

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks, that's good to know.
I was looking at the end of season one in a couple of weeks but waiting til spring may be more sensible as it would pretty much be the first ride on my new bike, which isn't even ready yet as work has got in the way recently.
are they generally pretty busy?

my main target is this next year:
Vätternrundan En - Vätternrundan
First and foremost, this is 'geekdom' so:-
What's the bike?

Yes,they do get busy, I've not sportived this year, they always used to sell out and I can't image that changing.

I did an Evans one from Ditchling, a year ago, which was pretty good too.
It's all about the signage.

Why wouldn't you want to do an event on a shiny new steed?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
The crank is still clicking, very annoying, it's not constant, but does seem to be from the bottom bracket. Until I sort the clicking (which let's face it is the most intolerable thing on a bike), I'm not noticing the chain!

Could be water in the BB. Proper answer is a strip down and re-grease (or replace bearings if a cartridge type).

Quick answer is stick the nozzle of some gt85 as far in as it'll go and spray like crazy while turning the cranks. Repeat on the other side. Lay on the side and pour some chain lube in there. Then hope.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
First and foremost, this is 'geekdom' so:-
What's the bike?

Yes,they do get busy, I've not sportived this year, they always used to sell out and I can't image that changing.

I did an Evans one from Ditchling, a year ago, which was pretty good too.
It's all about the signage.

Why wouldn't you want to do an event on a shiny new steed?

I guess I come under 'entry level' and went for the Cinelli Experience Veloce*

i have always ridden old bikes with metal toe cages at best. This time i've gone clipless as i'm getting more serious about the rides i do. The only reservation about not using the sportive as the maiden voyage is that i wont have any time to tweak cleat position etc. and i have no guarantee the shoes wont rub considerably at some point in the 100 miles!

*if anyone has seen a picture of this bike... i have purchased black bar tape as a replacement!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I guess I come under 'entry level' and went for the Cinelli Experience Veloce*

i have always ridden old bikes with metal toe cages at best. This time i've gone clipless as i'm getting more serious about the rides i do. The only reservation about not using the sportive as the maiden voyage is that i wont have any time to tweak cleat position etc. and i have no guarantee the shoes wont rub considerably at some point in the 100 miles!

*if anyone has seen a picture of this bike... i have purchased black bar tape as a replacement!
Fair enough.

Was it you I was talking too about that bike, ages ago?

It was certainly one of somebodies choices.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Could be water in the BB. Proper answer is a strip down and re-grease (or replace bearings if a cartridge type).

Quick answer is stick the nozzle of some gt85 as far in as it'll go and spray like crazy while turning the cranks. Repeat on the other side. Lay on the side and pour some chain lube in there. Then hope.

Going to try that, but have also booked into Syd's to change the cassette out next week - it is 8 years old now I think and done a fair few miles without much care and attention from me.

Getting seduced to getting a road bike now and keeping my one as an everyday hack bike. Not sure when I'd get out with my 3 kids demanding so much time, but think it is something I could really enjoy, even if going out of an evening during the summer. Now for the fun part of trying to work out what I need and how much to spend.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This one?

cinelli-experience-veloce-2012.png

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Fair enough.

Was it you I was talking too about that bike, ages ago?

It was certainly one of somebodies choices.

yes it was me. i've been putting in the miles on the old Koga Miyata steel frame i posted a picture of a while back, but it doesn't have the friendliest gear ratio for the bigger hills.
picture is correct for new bike as it comes.
Although thinking about it, not sure i did mention the new bike to you before, just the old one.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
or 'oh goodie' 10 posts per day of someone getting a new bike. It will probably be the later! :wink:
Hell yeah, you can't beat a good 'which bike' discussion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here