Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hell yeah, you can't beat a good 'which bike' discussion.

Good. Obviously I'll start by getting to some shops, probably Evans in Brighton to start with to get on some bikes and get a feel for what is comfortable.

I haven't owned a racing bike since I was 14 (24 *coughs* years ago - I've had mostly hybrids for commuting). Could I invite some general purchasing advice on what to look at, considerations to make etc. I'm not beyond looking at used either, but really don't have spare time for involved repairing (I'll be fighting for time to get out on the thing!). At the moment it appears a bit daunting.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sort out what you have to spend, make sure that includes pedals, shoes, helmet, and track pump.
Try as many as you can, as much as they all look the same, they are different, you'll get a good feel for what suits, very quickly.

Most bikes from the main competitors are keenly priced, so although spec will differ they will all be in a similar ball park.
Bike A might have better wheels, but the drivetrain will be lesser when compared to bike B's, that sort of thing.

If you find THE bike and you really really need that one, but it's slightly over budget find the money and buy it.
You will use the bike you luuuurve a lot more than the one you really like.

Now is sale time for bike shops, as they want to clear the decks for the 2013 models due imminently.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Sort out what you have to spend, make sure that includes pedals, shoes, helmet, and track pump.
Try as many as you can, as much as they all look the same, they are different, you'll get a good feel for what suits, very quickly.

Most bikes from the main competitors are keenly priced, so although spec will differ they will all be in a similar ball park.
Bike A might have better wheels, but the drivetrain will be lesser when compared to bike B's, that sort of thing.

If you find THE bike and you really really need that one, but it's slightly over budget find the money and buy it.
You will use the bike you luuuurve a lot more than the one you really like.

Now is sale time for bike shops, as they want to clear the decks for the 2013 models due imminently.

Great advice. I've always felt that it's worth spending a bit extra on wheels rather than frame/components. You won't have the power to need extra stiffness and you'll pay loads to knock off some weight that you could lose off yourself much easier. However, a wheel upgrade can make the bike feel that much nicer to ride.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Great advice. I've always felt that it's worth spending a bit extra on wheels rather than frame/components. You won't have the power to need extra stiffness and you'll pay loads to knock off some weight that you could lose off yourself much easier. However, a wheel upgrade can make the bike feel that much nicer to ride.

Very much this. It is all about the wheels, changed mine on my hack to the ones that came with my more expensive Felt and it made such a difference.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Also, don't know what other people think but I've heard good things about SRAM. You get an awful lot more for your money than campag/shimano.

Saying that, I'm in the "only ever campag" sect.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Italian bike + celeste bar tape = campag group set.

Anything else is a disgrace.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Also, don't know what other people think but I've heard good things about SRAM. You get an awful lot more for your money than campag/shimano.

Saying that, I'm in the "only ever campag" sect.

I note Boardman bikes at Halfords have SRAM components. Wouldn't think to look at Halfords normally for a 'proper' bike, but the Boardman bikes look the business.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_777859_langId_-1_categoryId_165710#tab2

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I note Boardman bikes at Halfords have SRAM components. Wouldn't think to look at Halfords normally for a 'proper' bike, but the Boardman bikes look the business.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_777859_langId_-1_categoryId_165710#tab2
The Boardman range are the best specced bikes, across the board.
But then you're up against Halfords, which in turn gives you no 'brand'
I guess it all depends if your a self obsessed sob with an inferiority complex, or not. (2 Bianchi's :lol:)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
BikeRadar.com View forum - Road Buying Advice
My other home has whole forums dedicated to this one.
That's not to say we won't chip in here, IT'S OUR BIRTH RITE.
But just about every question's already been answered, by proper geeks.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Italian bike + celeste bar tape = campag group set.

Anything else is a disgrace.

There is only one thing that is a disgrace in your post :lolol:

Well I couldn't let it go could I?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There is only one thing that is a disgrace in your post :lolol:

Well I couldn't let it go could I?
I only do it to amuse you.

I'm yours and [MENTION=2551]Stoichkov[/MENTION]'s little idiot savant.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'll get some shit for this but here goes...

I've followed cycling since '87 and seen plenty of doping scandals, suspicious performances etc but I'm still watching it, reading about it all these years later. Perhaps, me and 'fans' like me are part of the 'problem'.

There seems to be massive delight in trying to take Armstrong down with most of the noise coming from America and people who were probably turned on to cycling by Armstrong itself. With all the revelations in recent days from Jonathan Vaughters and Tyler Hamilton - America must be one, if not THE dirtiest nations when it comes to doping in cycling and they're newcomers ffs. Is / has any US cyclist been clean?

And while all this is going on, people are raving about the Vuelta. No doubt, its a great race but jeez, for me this is the biggest 'eye brow raiser' i've ever seen. Its right up there with the Gewiss 1-2-3's of the mid-90's. Utterly bonkers. Contador's served a ban and Valverede is pretty unrepentent about his doping too and as for Rodriguez....

I'll watch it this afternoon and enjoy it but i'll be keeping an open mind on these 'performances'.

It would be nice if those seemingly obsessed with nailing Armstrong would also do the same although for many theres good dopers and bad dopers

Sorry - 'rant' over!

carry on...

For what it's worth, I must confess to having my eyebrows raised over this Vuelta too. I'm guilty as the next man though in playing ostrich and still watching a sport that I love in awe and with childish excitement , having fell in love with TdF as a kid.

I think this Vuelta has been absolutely fantastic to watch in terms of racing. However, I can't feel happy for Contador, despite admiring his never say die attitude and his sheer entertainment value race wise. His return from a ban and the nature in which he was able to serve it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. And as for AVV!, well that chasing down of Contador on yesterdays stage, considering the pace it was raced at, really did get me thinking. I'm intrigued by your..."and as for Rodriguez"...comment though. I've wanted J Rod to win this race, mainly because I like his punchy riding style, but also because he seems to me to be the most honest of these 3 Spaniards. I know anyone riding at his age, and Spanish or Italian especially is bound to have question marks over them, but can you explain any specifics you have in mind about him?

For me, that stage yesterday has left me feeling a bit flat, even though putting allegiances to one side it was an epic stage. I was absolutely gutted for J Rod and the sight of those two Saxo riders riding on his wheel like a pair of vultures made me feel really sad. Yes, that's racing, but I was left with the feeling that somehow yesterday a lot of people ganged up on him just so that golden bollocks could win this Tour. Perhaps a lot of people didn't like the fact that the organisers had almost designed the course with a Purito victory in mind? A tad hyper sensitive and irrational maybe, and not doing justice to AC's efforts no doubt, but that's just how I feel.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For me, that stage yesterday has left me feeling a bit flat, even though putting allegiances to one side it was an epic stage. I was absolutely gutted for J Rod and the sight of those two Saxo riders riding on his wheel like a pair of vultures made me feel really sad. Yes, that's racing, but I was left with the feeling that somehow yesterday a lot of people ganged up on him just so that golden bollocks could win this Tour. Perhaps a lot of people didn't like the fact that the organisers had almost designed the course with a Purito victory in mind? A tad hyper sensitive and irrational maybe, and not doing justice to AC's efforts no doubt, but that's just how I feel.
Hindsight being the wonderful thing, it is.
On that stage, the cameras were on J-Rod, 14 secs down, in a small train with a team mate on the front.
The 14 wasn't coming down and J-Rod didn't take a turn on the front.
He either didn't think he had to or couldn't, either way that's not the work of a grand tour winner.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
For what it's worth, I must confess to having my eyebrows raised over this Vuelta too. I'm guilty as the next man though in playing ostrich and still watching a sport that I love in awe and with childish excitement , having fell in love with TdF as a kid.

I think this Vuelta has been absolutely fantastic to watch in terms of racing. However, I can't feel happy for Contador, despite admiring his never say die attitude and his sheer entertainment value race wise. His return from a ban and the nature in which he was able to serve it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. And as for AVV!, well that chasing down of Contador on yesterdays stage, considering the pace it was raced at, really did get me thinking. I'm intrigued by your..."and as for Rodriguez"...comment though. I've wanted J Rod to win this race, mainly because I like his punchy riding style, but also because he seems to me to be the most honest of these 3 Spaniards. I know anyone riding at his age, and Spanish or Italian especially is bound to have question marks over them, but can you explain any specifics you have in mind about him?

I was so disappointed when Contador tested positive. I'd really hoped he was someone to admire, who was clean.

There is some hope from the calculated power data that things are better than the bad old days -

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=494037133940664&id=213103522034028

Don't anyone start another rant about VAM! It's about the best we've got.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
I'm using a rusty bike from years ago. It's great fun to ride, hard on the hammies, but the chain and gears often "clunk". It's actually my dad's old bike, as my old one "clunks" a helluva lot more, and only rides in one gear: the lowest. :lolol:

Feel a sense of accomplishment when I finish a ride on the bike, but sometimes overshadowed when an old lady overtakes me at the beach :down: :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm using a rusty bike from years ago. It's great fun to ride, hard on the hammies, but the chain and gears often "clunk". It's actually my dad's old bike, as my old one "clunks" a helluva lot more, and only rides in one gear: the lowest. :lolol:

Feel a sense of accomplishment when I finish a ride on the bike, but sometimes overshadowed when an old lady overtakes me at the beach :down: :lolol:
Throw a stick into her spokes, next time.
It works a treat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here