Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Big Jens has spent the last couple of days photographing his families bikes, and commenting on them, on Twitter.

The guy is such good value.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've just sneaked above you with my best ever stage result - 3rd.

Get in there Sam! Only 2pts off of a stage win. Well played Sir! :clap2:

I'll tell you what, a NSC team would give anyone a run for their money :)

Edit: btw, my 13 yr old lad is well chuffed with his joint 21st today too.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Hell yeah I pitched in with a solid 35!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

Edit: btw, my 13 yr old lad is well chuffed with his joint 21st today too.

Thanks. I'm glad I resisted the urge to risk a load of transfers for a stage win. I almost got one without using a single transfer!

Time for my customary late push (famous last words!)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks. I'm glad I resisted the urge to risk a load of transfers for a stage win. I almost got one without using a single transfer!

Time for my customary late push (famous last words!)

Well I can at least draw some crumb of comfort from today knowing that I'm now ultra sprint heavy for tomorrow, almost full strength sprint for the day after that (although that could be a Gilbert day) and back to my best climbing team for the big mountains on Saturday.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Specialized Allez 2012 :) what do you all ride?
Very nice to.
Are you a car convert?
Years ago I got so fed up with driving bumped to bumped 8 miles along the coast.
All the while being overtaken by cyclists, I remembered my love for cycling went beyond 3 weeks in July.

I've got a couple of Bianchi's, with celeste bar tape (it's an in joke at the expense of Geek Overlord [MENTION=12656]Pantani[/MENTION] and @Stoichov).
One for winter and one for bestest.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

Still keeping my creaking 14 year old steel beast going. Features the first ever carbon levers (9 speed!) so it's a museum piece!

Currently stem, forks and crank bolts have snapped. Wheel bearings are a bit clunky and the seat post is welded in. Still fooling myself that the bike might remember how to ride fast even if I can't!

zfleas

Aug 8, 2011
Worthing
Very nice to.
Are you a car convert?
Years ago I got so fed up with driving bumped to bumped 8 miles along the coast.
All the while being overtaken by cyclists, I remembered my love for cycling went beyond 3 weeks in July.

I've got a couple of Bianchi's, with celeste bar tape (it's an in joke at the expense of Geek Overlord [MENTION=12656]Pantani[/MENTION] and @Stoichov).
One for winter and one for bestest.

Yeh I used to drive along from from Worthing to Basin road south (by carrots cafe by the lockgates) which meant going right along to Hove to turn around and come back on myself - cycling I can go over the lock gates
Admittedly if its raining im still unsure if i fancy it sometimes :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Still keeping my creaking 14 year old steel beast going. Features the first ever carbon levers (9 speed!) so it's a museum piece!

Currently stem, forks and crank bolts have snapped. Wheel bearings are a bit clunky and the seat post is welded in. Still fooling myself that the bike might remember how to ride fast even if I can't!
Other than that it's ok!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

I have a Giant OCR4 with various improved parts for 'commuting' and winter rides, I only live at the Dials and work in North Laine, so commute is a little strong.

img_1391_custom_182.jpg
this is not my actual bike but the same model.

My summer 'best' bike is a Racelight RC2 frame with a variety of components ranging from brand new top of the range to borrowed/stolen/repaired items from a bike shop I used to work in. For example it has a ITM 4ever full carbon fork and a Fizik Arione saddle, but the rear wheel was built on a Sora hub.

6251001128_a7895b79f0.jpg
Again not my actual bike.

I have one of these in pieces:

felt.jpg
which I mistakenly bought because I got a really good deal on but I never really got on with it. If anyone wants to buy the frame off me feel free to put an offer in.

And one of these waiting to be built up:

525x525px-LL-5d527932_vbattach7694.jpg

Well this thread is called cycling geeks :blush:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My mate would kill for the Giant.

Our standing joke is:-
One of us wins the lottery so the 3 of us charge to Maestro bikes.

Phil has his pick of Colnago's with top spec.
I have a Time RXR VIP with top spec.

Colin has a red bike. :lol:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
My mate would kill for the Giant.

Our standing joke is:-
One of us wins the lottery so the 3 of us charge to Maestro bikes.

Phil has his pick of Colnago's with top spec.
I have a Time RXR VIP with top spec.

Colin has a red bike. :lol:

I think Colin and I might get on. Money no object it would be a custom paint job Pinarello in pink for me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think Colin and I might get on. Money no object it would be a custom paint job Pinarello in pink for me.
You'll need your mountain legs on, we call him either King Of The Mountains Colin, or the shorter version Col de Col.

He clocked up a 19.1 average over 80 miles, criss crossing the Downs, on Sunday, on a club ride.

zfleas

Aug 8, 2011
Worthing
You'll need your mountain legs on, we call him either King Of The Mountains Colin, or the shorter version Col de Col.

He clocked up a 19.1 average over 80 miles, criss crossing the Downs, on Sunday, on a club ride.

You lot are definatly faster than me then..

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I'll get some shit for this but here goes...

I've followed cycling since '87 and seen plenty of doping scandals, suspicious performances etc but I'm still watching it, reading about it all these years later. Perhaps, me and 'fans' like me are part of the 'problem'.

There seems to be massive delight in trying to take Armstrong down with most of the noise coming from America and people who were probably turned on to cycling by Armstrong itself. With all the revelations in recent days from Jonathan Vaughters and Tyler Hamilton - America must be one, if not THE dirtiest nations when it comes to doping in cycling and they're newcomers ffs. Is / has any US cyclist been clean?

And while all this is going on, people are raving about the Vuelta. No doubt, its a great race but jeez, for me this is the biggest 'eye brow raiser' i've ever seen. Its right up there with the Gewiss 1-2-3's of the mid-90's. Utterly bonkers. Contador's served a ban and Valverede is pretty unrepentent about his doping too and as for Rodriguez....

I'll watch it this afternoon and enjoy it but i'll be keeping an open mind on these 'performances'.

It would be nice if those seemingly obsessed with nailing Armstrong would also do the same although for many theres good dopers and bad dopers

Sorry - 'rant' over!

carry on...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You lot are definatly faster than me then..
No Colin, (who's not a geek) is definitely faster than you.

It seems like only yesterday me a Phil took him on his first ride.
We went up to Goodwood.
Col shot off at the foot of the climb.
Myself and Phil exchanged knowing looks.

Sure enough he slowly came back to us, and ended up last over the top by nearly a minute.

In hindsight we shouldn't have taken the pi$$ quite so remorselessly out of the stubborn fecker, as now, 3 years later, we can't ride with him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here