Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh what you didn't have the winner :whistle:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Hindsight being the wonderful thing, it is.
On that stage, the cameras were on J-Rod, 14 secs down, in a small train with a team mate on the front.
The 14 wasn't coming down and J-Rod didn't take a turn on the front.
He either didn't think he had to or couldn't, either way that's not the work of a grand tour winner.

I'm not having that!, except the bit about not being a Grand Tour winner.

I followed that stage from very early on with a live ticker, some 2 hours before that shower of shite Eurosport went live. Yes, the same Eurosport that choose to go all match magazine ( see Pantani's excellent comments there) and an ad break before going live to a stage that was blowing the GC apart in a truly amazing way. The same shit Eurosport that didn't know which group was which and thought Nocentini was Mondory right up until that front group of Nocentini crossed the line.

Anyway, right from the off in that stage the pace was set ultra high (we now know why). Breaks were trying to form and very early on, before anyone had live coverage AC AND AVV had about a 14 second gap on J Rod. J rod had to work bloody hard to chase that one back! When you saw coverage the J Rod group had that can conniving little *&%$ AVV contributing nothing ( again, we know why), and Cunego, Astraloza, A BMC rider and 2 Saxo riders. Obviously Saxo won't work, but why didn't anyone else? The only one working was Losada because that's all J rod had with him. J Rod no doubt couldn't work because he simply didn't have it left him in and no one was willing to help! It wasn't because he didn't think he had to. Where the *&^% were the likes of Menchov and Moreno when you need them for starters!? Oh that's right, Moreno also had nothing left, but was able to take the 3rd place stage finish bonus from his TEAM MATE on the line today :angry:

I'm not even going to go into the comeback AVV put in to nearly catch Contador on the line or else I'll blow a gasket. And I certainly won't post pictures that I've seen of AC & AVV having a high old time together on the rest day before that infamous stage.

Ok, it's racing and no doubt riders and teams had their own agendas on a breakaway stage and in terms of limiting GC loses. Movistar did ride it to perfection, but I maintain that J Rod was ganged up on big time by all and sundry that day. What's he done to upset the peloton I wonder?, or are Katusa not willing to hand out the favours beforehand? I'm pretty pissed off about it as you can probably tell. Although perhaps it's reassuring that J Rod was cracked big time and just couldn't live with the pace, unlike AVV ???

Last edited:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

I followed that stage from very early on with a live ticker, some 2 hours before that shower of shite Eurosport went live. Yes, the same Eurosport that choose to go all match magazine ( see Pantani's excellent comments there) and an ad break before going live to a stage that was blowing the GC apart in a truly amazing way. The same shit Eurosport that didn't know which group was which and thought Nocentini was Mondory right up until that front group of Nocentini crossed the line.

Anyway, right from the off in that stage the pace was set ultra high (we now know why). Breaks were trying to form and very early on, before anyone had live coverage AC AND AVV had about a 14 second gap on J Rod. J rod had to work bloody hard to chase that one back! When you saw coverage the J Rod group had that can conniving little *&%$ AVV contributing nothing ( again, we know why), and Cunego, Astraloza, A BMC rider and 2 Saxo riders. Obviously Saxo won't work, but why didn't anyone else? The only one working was Losada because that's all J rod had with him. J Rod no doubt couldn't work because he simply didn't have it left him in and no one was willing to help! It wasn't because he didn't think he had to. Where the *&^% were the likes of Menchov and Moreno when you need them for starters!? Oh that's right, Moreno also had nothing left, but was able to take the 3rd place stage finish bonus from his TEAM MATE on the line today :angry:

I'm not even going to go into the comeback AVV put in to nearly catch Contador on the line or else I'll blow a gasket. And I certainly won't post pictures that I've seen of AC & AVV having a high old time together on the rest day before that infamous stage.

Ok, it's racing and no doubt riders and teams had their own agendas on a breakaway stage and in terms of limiting GC loses. Movistar did ride it to perfection, but I maintain that J Rod was ganged up on big time by all and sundry that day. What's he done to upset the peloton I wonder?, or are Katusa not willing to hand out the favours beforehand? I'm pretty pissed off about it as you can probably tell. Although perhaps it's reassuring that J Rod was cracked big time and just couldn't live with the pace, unlike AVV ???

Nice rant!

AVV is a strange one. As I said before, it's a bit strange how he lost all that time on the final climb of his Tour stage win and now out climbs J-Rod. However, he has been racing regularly and it would be difficult to disappear and dope. I'm not sure if the story of how Purito got his name has anything to do with why they dislike him so much!

You're right about Eurosport. Every AG2R rider is Roche even if the graphic on the screen says otherwise!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Nice rant!

AVV is a strange one. As I said before, it's a bit strange how he lost all that time on the final climb of his Tour stage win and now out climbs J-Rod. However, he has been racing regularly and it would be difficult to disappear and dope. I'm not sure if the story of how Purito got his name has anything to do with why they dislike him so much!

You're right about Eurosport. Every AG2R rider is Roche even if the graphic on the screen says otherwise!

But Purito is unlikely to still have the cigar out on training rides at his age, surely he's grown out of that :lol:

I've only just watched today's stage back on ITV, and having calmed down a bit, I take it back on Moreno. Perhaps he was just trying to take the bonus seconds off of AVV :shrug:

As for Eurosport. Words fail me I'm afraid, although I'll be forced to go there for live coverage tomorrow and then try to work out for myself exactly what is happening on the road and which rider is which ( it isn't that f***ing hard to a have a list of bib numbers on the desk in front of you while you work is it, surely!?)

I think I may need an early night, I seem to have got myself in quite a lather since Wednesday's stage :nono:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I'm not having that you're not having that.

This was always going to be a tour for banking seconds and dealing with the bad days.

It's all part and parcel of the 'job' when you're riding with the leaders jersey on.
What's going on behind isn't an issue.
There's nothing in it for AVV to help.
Cunego et al just did what is expected, sit on the leaders wheel.
If you are reliant on Menchov, you should be grateful you're still upright.

I don't think he's upset the peloton, and I'm sure had J-Rod left leader Contador everyone would have done exactly the same.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

This was always going to be a tour for banking seconds and dealing with the bad days.

It's all part and parcel of the 'job' when you're riding with the leaders jersey on.

I don't think he's upset the peloton, and I'm sure had J-Rod left leader Contador everyone would have done exactly the same.

True, if you're in a group with the leader you'll leave it to them unless you have a vested interest in chasing (or a deal has been done).

I've got something in the back of my mind that katusha had pissed a few people off in the past though

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Slightly o/t but the other half has asked me for a book recommendation for my father in law.

He's not a cycling fan at all but has been watching some as a result of my interest. She wants to give him something not too in in depth that helps explain some basics of tactics/some historical perspective etc.

Any ideas?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Having got my toys back in my pram, I can't really disagree with much you write there. That stage still leaves a nasty taste in my mouth though and I still suspect a lot of deals were done on the rest day.

Anyway, moving on...'tis a fair point you make about Menchov :lolol:

However, look at the makeup of today's early break, currently 2:15 up the road:

Juan Jose COBO ACEBO (001), Maxime BOUET (012), Matteo MONTAGUTI (016), Fredrik Carl Wilhelm KESSIAKOFF (031), Kevin SEELDRAEYERS (036), Klaas LODEWYCK (046), David DE LA FUENTE RASILLA (056), Leonardo Fabio DUQUE (065), Romain SICARD (076), Thomas PETERSON (098), Mikhail IGNATYEV (104), Denis MENCHOV (106), Denys KOSTYUK (114), Eros CAPECCHI (121), Kevin DE WEERT (143), Gert STEEGMANS (146), Simon CLARKE (152), Tiago MACHADO (177), Richie PORTE (185) y Simon GESCHKE (197).

I hope Katusa have finally got their act together. Can't see AC under any threat today but perhaps that creep in 2nd place might get a bit of poetic justice handed out to him?

Edit: Break now over 5 minutes up the road

Final edit: This is how the first of today's KOM points went :

Puerto de Navafría
1. Simon CLARKE (152)
2. David DE LA FUENTE RASILLA (056)
3. Leonardo Fabio DUQUE (065)
4. Eros CAPECCHI (121)
5. Maxime BOUET (012)

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Thus is quite interesting. Didn't realise how little Roche had won. He'll be much better off as a domestique but they're right, he won't win any stages if he has to Bury himself for contador.

http://t.co/iam8M6nB

Interesting read that, thanks. Even more interesting to see how he gets on under Riis.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Probably find that elusive extra 10%!!!

Looking at today's break, I'm going for porte or a, lazarus-style, cobo win.

That extra 10% is just too sad :( Still a way to go all the time people like him are still in the sport. Interesting that Museeuw has now come out and said everyone should hold their hands up from the past, like he has, and now move on to clean things up.

As for this break...job done for Simon Clarke on KOM. Not sure anyone from the break will win the stage to be honest, Euskatel are driving the chase pretty hard.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Having got my toys back in my pram, I can't really disagree with much you write there. That stage still leaves a nasty taste in my mouth though and I still suspect a lot of deals were done on the rest day.

Anyway, moving on...'tis a fair point you make about Menchov :lolol:

However, look at the makeup of today's early break, currently 2:15 up the road:

Juan Jose COBO ACEBO (001), Maxime BOUET (012), Matteo MONTAGUTI (016), Fredrik Carl Wilhelm KESSIAKOFF (031), Kevin SEELDRAEYERS (036), Klaas LODEWYCK (046), David DE LA FUENTE RASILLA (056), Leonardo Fabio DUQUE (065), Romain SICARD (076), Thomas PETERSON (098), Mikhail IGNATYEV (104), Denis MENCHOV (106), Denys KOSTYUK (114), Eros CAPECCHI (121), Kevin DE WEERT (143), Gert STEEGMANS (146), Simon CLARKE (152), Tiago MACHADO (177), Richie PORTE (185) y Simon GESCHKE (197).

I hope Katusa have finally got their act together. Can't see AC under any threat today but perhaps that creep in 2nd place might get a bit of poetic justice handed out to him?

Edit: Break now over 5 minutes up the road

Final edit: This is how the first of today's KOM points went :

Puerto de Navafría
1. Simon CLARKE (152)
2. David DE LA FUENTE RASILLA (056)
3. Leonardo Fabio DUQUE (065)
4. Eros CAPECCHI (121)
5. Maxime BOUET (012)

1 & 2 for me, finally some success in this tour. Hope they stay away all day and hoover up the lot.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Just checked all the points scored on the climbs. Clarke who we must all have, surely, has scored 25 fantasy points already. My man De La Fuente has bagged me 13 points. I fancy Anton for the stage judging by the way the Euskatels are hammering it at the front of the peleton.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
1 & 2 for me, finally some success in this tour. Hope they stay away all day and hoover up the lot.

Well your man took 3rd on the cat 2, then 2nd on the Puerto de la Morcuera cat 1, so all going well for you so far. I still think this break will be caught on the last climb of the day though.

Edit: Sorry, just seen your post, you've checked already.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Well your man took 3rd on the cat 2, then 2nd on the Puerto de la Morcuera cat 1, so all going well for you so far. I still think this break will be caught on the last climb of the day though.

Agreed, there are some top riders in there though. If the strongest riders, Cobo(?!), Porte, Capecchi, Kessiakoff break from the group they may have a chance though, hope they stay away until really close to the end/stay away, I like a will they, won't they, kind of a stage.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A hay bale statue, tribute to Brad.
A2RW914CYAA0LPp.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
And once again a NSCer top tens for the stage. This time Pantani & Cranky place joint 7th :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here