Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cullip to Sheff Utd

WATF0RD ZERO

Jan 22, 2004
I remember a whole load of threads at the beginning of the season, saying that to get into the championship last year was a near miracle and to enjoy this year because staying up was unlikely.

Well, we are halfway through the season, not in the relegation places and with a few memorable results. How many miracles do you expect in 7 years ?

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
Mr Popkins said:

What we do need is Dick knight to come out and tell us exactly how much sh1t we are in!!!!

Good Call. Thats exactly what we need. Complete honesty. Where is all this cash going? I know the cry will be Falmer .... but why can't we have a more detailed breakdown of expenses. I'm not sure the old mantra of 'trust the board' washes with a lot of poeple any more.

I know I'm starting to waver.

parks

Jan 17, 2004
East Sussex
Well said in a sort of... but really we know that if its Div1 then it will be 2 following quickly.....way. Oh, but that's ok cause we will have a shiney new stadium being built, and at the end of it £48 million of debt!

Now I agree DK is a good man and his heart and interests are shared, but it is clear that they have thrown all of their eggs in one Falmer basket. What if it is not agreed?

The club is spending, what £30K, on each site to explain to the enquiry why they are not suitable, all of this expenditure was not budgeted for. This and delaying creditors have now all reached a head and hence the little local difficulties! It seems to me a poker game now with the board just doubling up because that have come to far to turn round.

In the interim I notice that Citrus asked the question as to who has contracts past this season, answer:

Alexis Nicolas
Maheta Molango
Albert Jarrett
Adam Virgo
Chris McPhee
Dean Hammond
Adam El-Abd
Jake Robinson

Phew that's ok then.

Now I will try to be positive, but I admit that NSC has got me down!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
The Large One said:
He has. Again and again. :rolleyes:

when and where? all Ive seen is the "we had to sell currie because we are skint", nothing about where all the A&K funds are going, is this tax thing still happening? how much does the new sites inquiry bits cost? (I have read what insider said but I want it to hear it direct from Dick himself) will we need to sell another player or more? Will all the Spurs money go towards the A&K or will a small percentage be freed up for McGhee?

Fans Forum #2 in January I think is needed.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Well, if you turned up to the first one, you would have heard and understood. But you didn't. And now you're complaining. It's no use everyone moaning their arses off if they are not prepared to listen to the explanation being given.

A precis of what Dick and Martin said goes something like this...

It's quite simple - there was a shortfall of £2m. There was no likely source of income to cover this, so the club asked the fans to chip in - the Alive & Kicking Fund.

The tax thing is still hanging over us. The Inland Revenue is getting impatient, the Albion has a reasonable case against paying. The IR understands what is happening, but they won't wait forever. When that day is - we just don't know, they almost a law unto themselves. Suffice to say, they have the right to demand the CGT payment.

====

The fans - through A & K - have raised around £240k, may be a tad more. The sale of Currie has realised £250k. The Tottenham game could net us around £250k-£300k. You can do the maths yourself. There is still a shortfall. DK has said that if we don't make up that money, there will have to be cutbacks. Selling players is one option, although he doesn't want to do that if possible. Ipswich (eventually) came up with an offer the club could not afford to refuse.

The A&K money is there to pay for various debts to creditors. Some are screaming for money, some are not. It's those that are who the club wish to pay up. Ideally, they would like to pay everyone - it's only fair. I am not sure whether this covers the CGT, but the club did say this year that they have had to put some money aside in case that bill is finally demanded, and the IR will not accept any more delays.

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
The Large One said:
Well, if you turned up to the first one, you would have heard and understood. But you didn't. And now you're complaining. It's no use everyone moaning their arses off if they are not prepared to listen to the explanation being given.

A precis of what Dick and Martin said goes something like this...

It's quite simple - there was a shortfall of £2m. There was no likely source of income to cover this, so the club asked the fans to chip in - the Alive & Kicking Fund.

The tax thing is still hanging over us. The Inland Revenue is getting impatient, the Albion has a reasonable case against paying. The IR understands what is happening, but they won't wait forever. When that day is - we just don't know, they almost a law unto themselves. Suffice to say, they have the right to demand the CGT payment.

The fans - through A & K - have raised around £240k, may be a tad more. The sale of Currie has realised £250k. The Tottenham game could net us around £250k-£300k. You can do the maths yourself. There is still a shortfall. DK has said that if we don't make up that money, there will have to be cutbacks. Selling players is one option, although he doesn't want to do that if possible. Ipswich (eventually) came up with an offer the club could not afford to refuse.

The A&K money is there to pay for various debts to creditors. Some are screaming for money, some are not. It's those that are who the club wish to pay up. Ideally, they would like to pay everyone - it's only fair. I am not sure whether this covers the CGT, but the club did say this year that they have had to put some money aside in case that bill is finally demanded, and the IR will not accept any more delays.

not my fault they changed the original date ;)

still thats a fair assesment so thanks!

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
ok sell Cullip, he has not been brilliant this season and has slagged the younger players when they make mistakes, put the money in alive and kicking, put Vigo in at centre back, give Guy another 1 year contract, play Claridge (if he is still here) and Leon (if he is still here) up front. Pray we dont get relegated (unlikely in the above scenario) and get an extra letter box made for all the new season ticket applications and re-newals that will pour through 5 Queens road in Feb.

Alternatively offer our better players new contracts and give ourselves a better chance of staying up, then get that bloody ground and go forward.

We must protect the palying side as well as the business side, ultimately it is the team that gets the income and bad team = poor income. Thats why I think we must take a few chances:cry:

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Large One, not all of us can make fans forums, and to be honest, things have moved on a little since this.

I think the main problem people have is while we all want to invest in the Albion, some are beginning to ask, and I include myself in this, where is the money going....?

It seems that the black hole is getting bigger and bigger, and human nature dictates that if you do not see a tangible benefit (in this case a few positive messages from the club on what the money has gone to and is achieving, even though we need more) they do not want to spend out.

We have thousands of ways to make money, not just from the fan base, I know Norman Cook has done loads already, etc but these people (him, Des Lynam et al) have a higher media profile and therefore a greater potential to raise money.

I think the scale is beginning to suck people under in a sea of despair.

Stinky Kat said:
Alternatively offer our better players new contracts and give ourselves a better chance of staying up, then get that bloody ground and go forward.
We'd ALL like that to be an available option.

It isn't.

If the Club commit funds to the playing budget, we'll go into administration. And we'll get that 10 point deduction that will guarantee relegation.

And if we are in administration, it is likely that the administrator will tell us to abandon any plans for a new stadium.

And if we do that, we'll be evicted from Withdean.

Every penny we have (plus every penny we can get - from whatever source) needs to be committed to avoiding administration. Nobody will be happy, but we have no choice.

We are still living with Archer's legacy and the determination of the NIMBYs to put us out of business.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Appreciate your point about people not being able to get to the forums Staffs, but although it was fairly poorly attended, what was said was widely reported.

I think the despair comes from the fact that nothing, in the public sense, appears to be happening regarding Falmer and the Public Inquiry. This, of course, could not be further from the truth. The club is busting its balls, spending obscene amouts of money of this. It is not made any easier when you consider Martin Perry has to deal with 24-carat wankers on a daily basis (NIMBYs, not his colleagues). It would be enough to drive you nuts.

When February comes, it will back at the top of everyone's agenda, and we can all devote headspace to it. Easy 10 can be in his element once more, Lord Bracknell can report on the stupidity of the NIMBYs, and we will have a cause to focus on once again. Until then, nil desparandum.

Last edited:

Lord Bracknell said:

It isn't.

If the Club commit funds to the playing budget, we'll go into administration. And we'll get that 10 point deduction that will guarantee relegation.

And if we are in administration, it is likely that the administrator will tell us to abandon any plans for a new stadium.

Every penny we have (plus every penny we can get - from whatever source) needs to be committed to avoiding administration. Nobody will be happy, but we have no choice.

We are still living with Archer's legacy and the determination of the NIMBYs to put us out of business.

Much as I hate to pick you up on something, isn't it true that you have to have assets for administration? Or have I misread other quotes. I thought it was straight liquidation?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
The Large One said:
I think the despair comes from the fact that nothing, in the public sense, appears to be happening regarding Falmer and the Public Inquiry.

that is exactly true, for example my mates were miffed at why we sold currie and they started ranting on about McGhee will quit because of it. Guess I want answers from DK just so i can pass on the information to them mainly, but still the problem lies that unless you are on the 'net you only read whats in the Arsegas so dont have the full knowledge of whats going on. Thats why in my view there needs to be maybe a letter of some kind in the Argus direct from DK explaining EVERYTHING as it currently stands. That would hit a much wider audience (for want of a better word) than just a fans forum or internet website.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Lord Bracknell said:

It isn't.

Ok its catch 22, but this is a football club and players of the required standard need to be on the pitch.

Before Currie left he was in contract talks, so offer Dan, Leon, OGH a contract. There is a playing budget so use it on players to keep us up. Relegation would have disasterous financial implications for the board. For me I prefer going to better away grounds but I like going to the Blackpools and Lutons (well its near) as well.

Is BHAFC a football club or a pressure group - probably both!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not unreasonable, Crabbers. But I think people can draw a direct line from the launch of A & K to the sale of Currie and work it out for themselves. It's really not rocket science.

Yes, we risk going down (but then, it was expected at the start of the season), but it's better than going out. Personally, I think that we do have a squad with enough depth that can keep us up.

Last edited:

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
ManOnTheRun said:
Good Call. Thats exactly what we need. Complete honesty. Where is all this cash going? I know the cry will be Falmer .... but why can't we have a more detailed breakdown of expenses. I'm not sure the old mantra of 'trust the board' washes with a lot of poeple any more.

I know I'm starting to waver.

What's goin on? People beginning to think Dick Tight might be holding something back.

Naughty, naughty :angry: Don't question the great man. If it wasn't for him........

Oh... or are you seeking a bit of clarity and honesty about how much he and Mr Perry will make when Falmer is built.

That's priviliged information. Lucky Mr Knight to be so priviliged eh>:lolol:

They wiill do anything to save the club....so they can make a killing. Where's the supporters trust. Are they afraid they we will muscle in on their nice little earner?:blush:

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
CrabtreeBHA said:
that is exactly true, for example my mates were miffed at why we sold currie and they started ranting on about McGhee will quit because of it. Guess I want answers from DK just so i can pass on the information to them mainly, but still the problem lies that unless you are on the 'net you only read whats in the Arsegas so dont have the full knowledge of whats going on. Thats why in my view there needs to be maybe a letter of some kind in the Argus direct from DK explaining EVERYTHING as it currently stands. That would hit a much wider audience (for want of a better word) than just a fans forum or internet website.

A letter in the Argus was printed and sent out to 30,000 plus people who had bought tickets previously at the launch of the Alive and Kicking Fund. I'm not sure that much can be added to this that wouldn't be confidential information. What do you think might be EVERYTHING crabbers? Who we owe money to exactly? I don't think that you will get this kind of transparency from any company, as it may adversely affect the confidentiality of the companies that we owe money to.

The Great Cornholio said:
Much as I hate to pick you up on something, isn't it true that you have to have assets for administration? Or have I misread other quotes. I thought it was straight liquidation?

I think every poster on this board will be on suicide watch soon. The news just gets more depressing. I suspect TGC is correct. As we don't own the ground our only assets are the players. Problem: If we were to go into administration/liquidation, don't the players automatically become free agents? OMG, we're dooooooooooooomed! :eek:

Did somebody say keep the faith?.......

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Deano's Right Foot said:
A letter in the Argus was printed and sent out to 30,000 plus people who had bought tickets previously at the launch of the Alive and Kicking Fund. I'm not sure that much can be added to this that wouldn't be confidential information. What do you think might be EVERYTHING crabbers? Who we owe money to exactly? I don't think that you will get this kind of transparency from any company, as it may adversely affect the confidentiality of the companies that we owe money to.

aahh f*** yeah forgot about that one then, seems the general public just have short memories (like mine), true you can explain everything, maybe the wrong word............I'm not doing very well am I :D time for a lie down i think.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
The Great Cornholio said:

I think that the Albion have assets. The players contracts are assets (Currie's was worth £250k) and although small there must be some other assets, even if it is only a shop and office lease, a few computers, furniture etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here