Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CPFC and money

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
Perhaps, but where would you be had you paid your debts? You might have found yourselves where we were: without a ground, with no money, and rebuilding your club from scratch.

Go on, admit it. Brighton & Hove Albion hasn’t done a bad job of rebuilding from nothing.

The Championship is stuffed with clubs that have cheated…and, as we have seen and will continue to see, cheats prosper.

More than likely in the Championship still, who knows maybe even the Prem! Our admin was due to a debt being called in all at once, it wasn't a standard admin and if the same happened to most clubs tomorrow they'd all be in the shit. Its not like we've spent loads of money on quality players, all our big signings over the years have been on Kuqi, Akinbyi and Macken, and they all turned out shit, coupled in with big pay-offs for rubbish managers like Francis, Taylor and Dowie. If it makes it easier for you to sleep at night though then continue to believe that we have cheated our way into a false postion.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
The fact is, if we win our game in hand then we are the fifth best team in the Championship…which, evidently, is a long, long way behind the mighty Crystal Palace…

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
The Blackpool chairman only allowed Ollie a 10k a week maximum wages per player.
Clearly meaning you would expect a bigger budget..

I despair!!! What a great idea, buy in a load of over-priced players on high wages to try and stay up. Has one good season on the pitch made you forget the two administrations, or do you now think, administration is just part of the natural cycle.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
As for the forthcoming derby, I’m more than happy that we will be the underdog.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Hahaha, how is staying within 30 minutes of staying up not competive? It's hardly like they were like the Derby team from 2007 that went down with 11 points. You honestly are desperate aren't you?

So how does getting relegated from a division and therefore failing in competing for points make you competitive
In my view promotion = success = being very competitive.
Staying in the league = competitive
Relegation= failure= not very competitive.
Am I wrong with that view?

I said £15-£20 million, convienient that you took off £5 million. Of course this amount can get you some decent players, there are plenty of gems around. Our best 3 players along with Zaha are Murray and Jedinak, both of whom were on free's and Bolasie, who cost us 300k

All clubs have success in snapping up free bargains, with us it was Bridcutt, Bruno, Lopez, Orlandi, Calderon.
But the higher you go the less chance you have to get free signings good enough to play in the division
I would be interested to know clubs in the premiership with a long list of free signings that are regular first team players.
I note you did not reply how you were going to pay premiership wages on your gates?
. .

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
Clearly meaning you would expect a bigger budget..

I despair!!! What a great idea, buy in a load of over-priced players on high wages to try and stay up. Has one good season on the pitch made you forget the two administrations, or do you now think, administration is just part of the natural cycle.

10k a week is nothing in the Prem and yet they came with 30 mins of staying up, that was my point. I bet Ulloa, Vicente and TK are all taking home more than 10k a week for you.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Our team, that has got us into this position, is made up of academy players and free transfers. Your team has had around £6-7 million spent on it in the last 2 years. Just saying...

An academy funded by two administrations, something that many of your fans seem to want to ignore. You whole set up and success for the last 15 years has been funded by the tax payer and various creditors that you have royally shafted. Again something that many of your fans seem to want to ignore!!

The FFP has cast a different light on how clubs are run and how they handle finances. One thing that is now very important is that of bums on seats and our 25k to your 15k IS going to make a difference. If we say the average seat is £15, then the delta between our two clubs in terms of gate receipts is in the region of £150k per game or a tad under £3.5m for the season. If each person (of the 10k) spends an average of £2 (bottle of pop) then it works out at £460k for the season. So in summary, the delta in crowds alone equates to just under £4m per season, not something to be sniffed at. That doesn't include the expansion of the hospitality suites at the AMEX or the seats. The revenue generated by home games is now more than ever a critical part of a clubs business plan. We have a spanking new stadium that is a pleasure to be in and you have a toilet, that if we are all honest needs to be knocked down a rebuilt. This IMO is your Achilles heal and will be milestone around your necks for years to come.
At the moment we are neck and neck BUT the momentum is with us and you are on the back foot regardless of how well the team plays.

One further question regards outside investment. Would you invest in a club who has gone into administration twice in the last ten years and who's major asset is failing down ....?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
We ( the fans ) paid the st johns debt , but I'm sure you knew that . The beam back is costing the club £7 k so we are paying someone . If you are not charging us then you are defenaltly the club that just keeps giving ( us ).

I am talking this seasons bill, have the fans paid that as well.
We certainly are, as your chairman said that due to us not charging, any money over will go to the academy, that is obviously in need of funds then.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
So how does getting relegated from a division and therefore failing in competing for points make you competitive
In my view promotion = success = being very competitive.
Staying in the league = competitive
Relegation= failure= not very competitive.
Am I wrong with that view?

I think most on here, if they were being honest would agree with me and say you are wrong. Uncompetive would be getting beat every week, not ever winning, Blackpool were far from that.

All clubs have success in snapping up free bargains, with us it was Bridcutt, Bruno, Lopez, Orlandi, Calderon.
But the higher you go the less chance you have to get free signings good enough to play in the division
I would be interested to know clubs in the premiership with a long list of free signings that are regular first team players.
I note you did not reply how you were going to pay premiership wages on your gates? .

As is said, our gates will be around 24-25k, as they were last time we went up. It wouldn't be 7 free transfers though would it, i stated £20 million on players in total. You could get 4 quality players for £5 million each and then a few frees as back up to complemennt the squad.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
FFP is going to f***ing RAPE Palace if they don't go up this season. Good luck. ;)

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
More than likely in the Championship still, who knows maybe even the Prem! Our admin was due to a debt being called in all at once, it wasn't a standard admin and if the same happened to most clubs tomorrow they'd all be in the shit. Its not like we've spent loads of money on quality players, all our big signings over the years have been on Kuqi, Akinbyi and Macken, and they all turned out shit, coupled in with big pay-offs for rubbish managers like Francis, Taylor and Dowie. If it makes it easier for you to sleep at night though then continue to believe that we have cheated our way into a false postion.

I call bullshit ... That is way too simplistic.
First administration - If you had 'paid your creditors' you would have had to have sold your ground (not sure that would have paid it off)
Second administration - Yes, you had a high exposure to one creditor, who under the terms of trade, was entitled to call in the debt. This usually happens when the creditor is aware of financial problems at the business which owes the debt.

If the large payouts were made to managers, then clearly they were being paid more than you could afford if paying out the contracts was one of the causes of your debt.

I will continue to believe you as a club, have prospered at other business's expense. I don't actually blame the fans, but the facts are the facts. You got lucky (twice), we got stiched up.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Since Palace fans refuse to answer the points that I’ve put to them in this thread, perhaps they will agree with me when I say that their club really ought to be more than five points ahead of us, having played a game more

Eh? Palace are more than 5 points ahead of Brighton, they are 8 points ahead.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
I am talking this seasons bill, have the fans paid that as well.
We certainly are, as your chairman said that due to us not charging, any money over will go to the academy, that is obviously in need of funds then.
I wasn't aware the bill for this season won't be paid , prove needed ! We are re applying for cat1 status for the academy so any extra funds will help . Btw did you know we beat man u under 18 s 2-1 away last week. ?, the academy is our future !

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
10k a week is nothing in the Prem and yet they came with 30 mins of staying up, that was my point. I bet Ulloa, Vicente and TK are all taking home more than 10k a week for you.

So are you saying that 10k a week gets you 'just' relegated', so say 13k a week should guarantee safety then?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I wasn't aware the bill for this season won't be paid , prove needed ! We are re applying for cat1 status for the academy so any extra funds will help . Btw did you know we beat man u under 18 s 2-1 away last week. ?, the academy is our future !

Great result, but they probably put out a weak side like when the first teams met last season.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
I call bullshit ... That is way too simplistic.
First administration - If you had 'paid your creditors' you would have had to have sold your ground (not sure that would have paid it off)
Second administration - Yes, you had a high exposure to one creditor, who under the terms of trade, was entitled to call in the debt. This usually happens when the creditor is aware of financial problems at the business which owes the debt.

If the large payouts were made to managers, then clearly they were being paid more than you could afford if paying out the contracts was one of the causes of your debt.

I will continue to believe you as a club, have prospered at other business's expense. I don't actually blame the fans, but the facts are the facts. You got lucky (twice), we got stiched up.

Another BHA fan who seems to know all the inside dealings of our club :facepalm:

My point was we have not prospered as you seem to think we have. The money we spent that got us into the very situation did not do us any good from a playing side point of view, the players were awful, the same with the managers. Our recent successes in the last 10 years has come from players like Andy Johnson who cost sweet FA and our youngsters like Wilf, Routledge, Watson, Clyne and Moses. A club of our size could have afforded our academy regardless, it's the excellent staff we hire and the catchment area that make it such a success, not the fact that we have plouged in millions and millions.

Your point about our managerial pay-offs: We didn't know at the time that we couldn't afford to pay off the managers, CIRCMSTANCES CHANGE! Relegation, recessions, unforseen crowd drops etc etc. Poor buisness planning on the account of the owners not to account for these things arising but drop the whole moral thing, it's utter rubbish, no one at our club went out there way to screw over buisnesses in an immoral quest for a quick return to the Prem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here