Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Congratulations to Chris Holroyd

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
2 points really:

1: blame aside, not signing a proven goalscorer IS a huge disappointment. Our expectations for this season have quietly been lowered since TB's insinuation that he expected automatic promotion. Let's hope that Murray gets 25 goals+, but based on past appearance records this looks unlikely.

2. I think the term 'abject failure' is pretty harsh nonetheless. I would be pretty confident that GP has done everything in his power to get the right player with the budget at his disposal.

I'm still looking forward to a season of good football, but Championship football in the first season at Falmer? Not with this squad.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I honestly think to sign a striker of the calibre people want is not only going to cost serious cash upfront but will probably blow our wage structure out of the water. My feeling is rather than a striker with pace who plays off the last man we need someone who patrols the penalty area and gets on the end of crosses, tap-ins etc.

With Bennett, Sparrow, Lua Lua (and Smith off the bench) we have plenty of attacking options and our midfield will weigh in with a lot of goals this season rather than relying on a striker for all the goals

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I'm still looking forward to a season of good football, but Championship football in the first season at Falmer? Not with this squad.

Too early to write it off for definite. We have the loans and January transfer window.

We have a solid defence in prospect (if Greer can stay on the pitch), an excellent midfield (with Sparrow back and Lua Lua), and a striker who could yet deliver as required. And two decent keepers.

Why write promotion off ?

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
Too early to write it off for definite. We have the loans and January transfer window.

We have a solid defence in prospect (if Greer can stay on the pitch), an excellent midfield (with Sparrow back and Lua Lua), and a striker who could yet deliver as required. And two decent keepers.

Why write promotion off ?

Nicely summed up.

If you look at what's there in the squad it isn't that bad at all and definitely stronger than last year (from what I have seen so far) - I think if we would of signed a big name striker it would of been the icing on the cake rather than the be all and end all of our promotion prospects.

Just wish we had a game on Saturday now

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Ah. You.

Some one has to say it: You know f*** all about football, you know f*** all about support, and you know f*** all about what happens in the football team you support.

This thread was really getting to me and I was about respond but Im not going to bother.

The use of the word f*** in this reply does wonders for its content!

The one unanswered question of the thread being started at all is why?

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Gus is making this club a much better proposition than many previous managers & many other managers in this division do for their clubs so whether he has managed to pull someone out of the bag or not I will still view him as anything other than an "Abject Failure"
If anyone is an "Abject failure" it is the author of this thread.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I honestly think to sign a striker of the calibre people want is not only going to cost serious cash upfront but will probably blow our wage structure out of the water.

Allegedly this happened at Sussex with the signing of Monty Panesar. Several players' noses were put out of joint, as he is on far higher wages than any of them. Morale in the camp was apparently not very high when Yardy was on England duty and it needed him to pull everyone together. Do we want similar things happening with, say, Murray, who has now knuckled down and is playing as well as he has since he signed? One player on massively higher wages could cause serious difficulties. Of course I recognise the need for another forward, as does Gus, but paying silly money and wages would have been a mistake in my view.

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
The main beneficiary of Poyet's abject failing in the transfer window surely deserves applause for retaining the ability to call himself a "professional footballer" despite being more suited to the Ryman League.

A special mention to Gary Hart also, as Gus ensures he'll have to listen to 100 H block goons jizz themselves 3 times per home game singing "posh spice is a slapper" as he stretches his groin for the probable 2 minute cameo at the end of the match.

Well done to both of them. :clap:

Is it dissapointing that we've not signed a striker? Yes
Is it a disaster? Most definitely not

We have the nucleus of a very decent side. Ankergren and Brezovan competing for the number 1 shirt is more than good enough, the defence is looking better than it has since the play-off winning side of 2004, Sparrow and LuaLua (again) have added much needed depth to the midfield, and Murray and Barnes both looked very sharp on Saturday. Further, I have faith in Gus to rectify the situation if things don't go immediately to plan (and in Tony to provide the means for him to do so).

Now if it helps you mentally to throw a hissy fit like this, go way over the top with unjustified criticism not just for Gus, but also for the players you mention, then thats your shout. However, you should expect to get angry reactions from people irritated with your ridiculous negativity, and frankly it is fully deserved.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
2 points really:

1: blame aside, not signing a proven goalscorer IS a huge disappointment. Our expectations for this season have quietly been lowered since TB's insinuation that he expected automatic promotion. Let's hope that Murray gets 25 goals+, but based on past appearance records this looks unlikely.

2. I think the term 'abject failure' is pretty harsh nonetheless. I would be pretty confident that GP has done everything in his power to get the right player with the budget at his disposal.

Agree with that :thumbsup:

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
put he just gets pleasure out of everyones reaction, isnt it obvious he goes over the top for a laugh?

I for one never expected for us to sign a decent forward. In all honesty given that no more than 6500 turn up at Withdean it is amazing that our squad is as good as it is.

Perhaps the clubs thinking is to draw the missing to a winning team in league 1 than a losing one in the championship.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
The main beneficiary of Poyet's abject failing in the transfer window surely deserves applause for retaining the ability to call himself a "professional footballer" despite being more suited to the Ryman League.

A special mention to Gary Hart also, as Gus ensures he'll have to listen to 100 H block goons jizz themselves 3 times per home game singing "posh spice is a slapper" as he stretches his groin for the probable 2 minute cameo at the end of the match.

Well done to both of them. :clap:

you a right --nt :tosser::tosser::tosser:

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Funny isn't it. If the idea that we wouldn't sign a striker had been mooted in JUNE then everyone would have said it was ridiculous and would be a disaster. Now it's actually happened all the nsc mongs club together and just throw insults at WW rather than try to justify this farce.

Oh great the other -unt as well...:tosser::tosser::tosser:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Jamie Smith has taken a fair while to make some sort of impact. Did we want to 'get rid' a few months after he signed?

I really do fail to see why you seem to take so much enjoyment from the fact a player may or may not make it at the club. I am 100% certain that he is 1000% more frustrated that it hasn't worked out thus far.

Give the guy a f***ing break.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Jamie Smith has taken a fair while to make some sort of impact. Did we want to 'get rid' a few months after he signed?

I really do fail to see why you seem to take so much enjoyment from the fact a player may or may not make it at the club. I am 100% certain that he is 1000% more frustrated that it hasn't worked out thus far.

Very good post here.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I didn't want it NOW, I wanted it at some point in the last six months since Gus dumped a proven goalscorer. How long does he get?

slightly incorrect - Gus dumped an old footballer at the tail end of his career who may not have been able to deliver this season due to his age (37 in just over a weeks time) and time catching up on him. Who says he could have still delivered 20+ goals for us this season?

IMO he looked like he was starting to struggle and was losing some of his pace before we got shot.

I would also prefer Gus to get the right striker in, someone who could deliver, rather than rush into it just to please a couple of impatient fans how want everything to happen 5 minutes ago.

Quality strikers arn't two a penny, and with our limitations this season (ground, wage structure, losing money due to high costs of Withdean etc) we arn't going to be able to lure & sign anyone and everyone we want, or compete with teams that can outbid and out pay us.

However there is still plenty of time, and options, we can sign someone on loan or in January (hopefully), just because this transfer window has closed and we haven't managed to sign a big name proven striker doesn't mean we can't get promotion this season - just be patient.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Who says we aren't going to sign a decent striker? Nothing is settled yet.

We have a great First XI, and stronger squad and the possibility of a striker still to come. Please all just calm down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here