Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Completely OTT stewarding outside family stand

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
So your first post that ALL the stewards were drinking hot drinks, Was infact wildly inacurate.

Oh and btw i only saw one goal when i was coming back form my break.

P.s. we have to have breaks if we work more than 4 hours.

steward 433

What sort of "break" do you need to take at Withdean?
After 4 hours of hard stewardship? ???

Last edited:

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
So your first post that ALL the stewards were drinking hot drinks, Was infact wildly inacurate.

Oh and btw i only saw one goal when i was coming back form my break.

P.s. we have to have breaks if we work more than 4 hours.

i said all 7 at the bottom were drinking, so its not inaccurate, as you werent one of them

I have no idea how much you watched, I was joking, hence the :jester: smilie

As for breaks, every 4 hours, cant it be timed with half time, instead of giving the impression you are not doing anything during a game, just an observation like

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
i said all 7 at the bottom were drinking, so its not inaccurate, as you werent one of them

I have no idea how much you watched, I was joking, hence the :jester: smilie

As for breaks, every 4 hours, cant it be timed with half time, instead of giving the impression you are not doing anything during a game, just an observation like

I only saw 4 response stewards drinking.

I know about the jester smilie i just have real shit timing at looking over my shoulder and miss more than i see :dunce:

Half time is a busier time so during either half is better.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm desperately confused by this thread. It consists of complaining about stewards on the basis that

1) They sometimes check your tickets and search you before entering a football stadium.

2) One or two may (or may not) have been observed drinking a cup of tea (or coffee) whilst on duty.

What happens when any of you go to a live concert and are violently frisked upon entering the premises ? Do write a letter to your local MP ?

Is anyone allowed to drink a cup of tea at your workplace, what happens if you see it. Do you email Human Resources ?

One of the most bizarre threads I've seen on here in a while. The only next logical step is for someone to ring the Daily Mail and get the whole country involved....

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
I'm desperately confused by this thread. It consists of complaining about stewards on the basis that

1) They sometimes check your tickets and search you before entering a football stadium.

2) One or two may (or may not) have been observed drinking a cup of tea (or coffee) whilst on duty.

What happens when any of you go to a live concert and are violently frisked upon entering the premises ? Do write a letter to your local MP ?

Is anyone allowed to drink a cup of tea at your workplace, what happens if you see it. Do you email Human Resources ?

One of the most bizarre threads I've seen on here in a while. The only next logical step is for someone to ring the Daily Mail and get the whole country involved....

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
Steward 433

I might be paranoid, but my view is that you stewards need to take “breaks”, for another reason. Such as a chance to share your booty?
Such as, all the “contraband” you had previously confiscated at the turnstiles such as…………….
packets of M&M’s, Twix bars, pins being used to keep poppies on, Thermos flasks, Plastic windmills from McDonalds etc, etc. ???

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Steward 433

I might be paranoid, but my view is that you stewards need to take “breaks”, for another reason. Such as a chance to share your booty?
Such as, all the “contraband” you had previously confiscated at the turnstiles such as…………….
packets of M&M’s, Twix bars, pins being used to keep poppies on, Thermos flasks, Plastic windmills from McDonalds etc, etc.

Nice juxtaposition of things that stewards aren't allowed to take with politically sensitive items such as poppy pins.

You left out kittens and hearing aids by the way.

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
Nice juxtaposition of things that stewards aren't allowed to take with politically sensitive items such as poppy pins.

You left out kittens and hearing aids by the way.

clapham_gull

"You left out.............."

an ability of the stewards to use a bit of "commonsense"? ???

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
clapham_gull

"You left out.............."

an ability of the stewards to use a bit of "commonsense"? ???

I'm not read anything on here that leads me to the conclusion that on the whole they don't use their common sense.

From personal experience, they are fantastic in the disabled area and in response to your not completely serious comment that they collect booty...

...my lack of common sense lead me to drop my wallet in the ground this season. It was found by a steward and handed back to me after the game.

After sitting next to H block for most of my Withdean life, I made my own conclusions about who is to blame for any break down in trust between the stewards and the fans.

It isn't the stewards.

When fans attend the match with masks with the word "pig" on the front to insult a particular steward you've lost the argument I'm afraid. Ironically, if the steward singled out was the one I think it was - they are actually one of the most reasonable and friendly stewards I've met down there.

Unfortunately it's one of those jobs where you really have to carry out your orders as instructed, and if you've got a problem I'd direct it at the safety officer of the club for example. What's the expression - a thankless task" ?

Most remarkable thing that happened to me was that I was asked to sit down (as a helper) in the disabled area on the running track.

I knew that the steward was only acting on direct instructions and felt sorry for them being asked to carry out such a ridiculous
request. I dealt with that, but it didn't involve having a go at the steward.

If anyone has got a problem with having their bag searched do as I do. Offer it to the stewards before being asked, smile - engage in quick friendly conversation and go on your way. By magic, what with them being human beings and all that - they get to recognise your face. Yes, a few stewards actually say hello to me as I enter the ground.

You'd be amazed how being polite in the first place gets a similiar response.

Last edited:

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
I'm not read anything on here that leads me to the conclusion that on the whole they don't use their common sense.

From personal experience, they are fantastic in the disabled area and in response to your not completely serious comment that they collect booty...

...my lack of common sense lead me to drop my wallet in the ground this season. It was found by a steward and handed back to me after the game.

After sitting next to H block for most of my Withdean life, I made my own conclusions about who is to blame for any break down in trust between the stewards and the fans.

It isn't the Stewards.

clapham_gull

"...my lack of common sense lead me to drop my wallet in the ground this season. It was found by a steward and handed back to me after the game."

But did it have any money left in it? ???

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
clapham_gull

"...my lack of common sense lead me to drop my wallet in the ground this season. It was found by a steward and handed back to me after the game."

But did it have any money left in it? ???

Yes, add a couple of magic tricks and the odd impression and you've almost got yourself an act there. :lolol:

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
Could this thread be allocated its own section, for whingers, moaners, stewards (a different species altogether anyway) and life's bores. If the thread could be protected by 18 tea drinking stewards who would keep out normal people/anti nuclear protestors/anti-anti nuclear protestors/peace not war protestors/anti-vivisectionists/Sandinistas/Satanists etc - then that would afford the rest of NSCers a great service. Entry to this thread would be by ticket only, backed up by a plastic bag of vomited tuna sandwiches, which would have to be thoroughly searched for uranium traces by the stewards.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Three cheers.

Anyone would think this is North Stand Conspiracy forum rather than chat. Some over sensitive whinger gets his ticket checked and bag searched and all of a sudden he seems to announce we are facing the Independent Police State of Withdean. Get a life. Two men were found guilty of 'causing' the death of a baby yesterday and you spend your time whinging because your bag was checked. Get a life.

Three cheers.

Anyone would think this is North Stand Conspiracy forum rather than chat. Some over sensitive whinger gets his ticket checked and bag searched and all of a sudden he seems to announce we are facing the Independent Police State of Withdean. Get a life. Two men were found guilty of 'causing' the death of a baby yesterday and you spend your time whinging because your bag was checked. Get a life.

Talk about a shite comparison by someone who doesn't seem to understand that the qhinge was about the number of stewards and the job creation exercises they created.

I was moaning about the cost. In response I had dullard and Hitler citing specific FA laws that don't exist (I checked. The rules are general and responsibility lies with the club), anti nuclear protesters causing havoc, to prevent disasters, to stop 2 home fans from sitting amongst 50 away fans and their subsequent disorientation and confusion trying to find a seat in an empty family stand.

Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes. Apparently it's impossible to judge that if only 2500 people have bought tickets before Saturday morning just how many tickets will be sold on our mickey mouse telephone system in the couple of hours available on the Saturday.

It's not, I repeat NOT a whinge against stewarding but about the unnecessary cost and the bullshit justifications from Dullard (who has form for making up stuff) and that well known misanthrope Hitler.

f*** sake.

And because I have a life that's my last words on this. Feel free to misconstrue me some more

All we needed was

But Steward-433, that link mentions about demonstrating at power stations. Now, I am not entirely sure of the location of the nearest power station in Sussex but surely it can't be placed in the family stand?

It doesn't mention football matches at all and can't find anything on google to back up your assertion that they have disrupted them before. I do agree, however, that to really get your message across and cause the maximum amount of publicity and disruption, nothing would be more attractive as a target than specifically the family stand at a Brighton v Hartlepool game in the first round of the FA Cup. Targetting the South or North stand would not have half the gravitas, hence the lack of extra stewarding in those areas.

Hmmm

they've demonstrated at my office. they were naked (and not worth looking at!) and used superglue to attach themselves to the outside of the building.

all in all a very amusing afternoon for the ladies

Talk about a shite comparison by someone who doesn't seem to understand that the qhinge was about the number of stewards and the job creation exercises they created.

I was moaning about the cost. In response I had dullard and Hitler citing specific FA laws that don't exist (I checked. The rules are general and responsibility lies with the club), anti nuclear protesters causing havoc, to prevent disasters, to stop 2 home fans from sitting amongst 50 away fans and their subsequent disorientation and confusion trying to find a seat in an empty family stand.

Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes. Apparently it's impossible to judge that if only 2500 people have bought tickets before Saturday morning just how many tickets will be sold on our mickey mouse telephone system in the couple of hours available on the Saturday.

It's not, I repeat NOT a whinge against stewarding but about the unnecessary cost and the bullshit justifications from Dullard (who has form for making up stuff) and that well known misanthrope Hitler.

f*** sake.

And because I have a life that's my last words on this. Feel free to misconstrue me some more

All we needed was

the club has to hire in the stewards at i suspect slightly more than 12 hours notice

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I was moaning about the cost. In response I had dullard and Hitler citing specific FA laws that don't exist (I checked. The rules are general and responsibility lies with the club),

Safety certificate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you're so angry about it I suggest you raise it with Richard Hebbard at the club - I'm sure he'll revel in why so many stewards have to be hired because of a combination of the Football League rules and the safety certificate. The rules DO exisit - can't remember the exact number but before the extended capacity it used to need a minimum of 65 (ish) stewards before the match could go ahead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here