Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Completely OTT stewarding outside family stand

Safety certificate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you're so angry about it I suggest you raise it with Richard Hebbard at the club - I'm sure he'll revel in why so many stewards have to be hired because of a combination of the Football League rules and the safety certificate. The rules DO exisit - can't remember the exact number but before the extended capacity it used to need a minimum of 65 (ish) stewards before the match could go ahead.

Sigh. I shall type this very slowly so that everyone understands. Dullard said that there was a specific FA rule on stewarding in stands with mixed supporters. Go on, check. It's there in black and white. He said the club had to have that many stewards in that particular stand. I questio ned this and asked what the rule was. He went coy. Very coy and very shifty. I've contacted the FA who stated the rules they have, which are general and relate to the match as a whole. There's no formula per fan for specific mixed stands.

You've obviously notseen this previous dialogue between Dullard and me. I don't doubt what you say. I doubted the justification by a known bullshitter as to why so many were congregated around so few fans.

Seriously, my last words on the subject

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Was (pleasently) surprised to have been given a full body massage by a female stuard before entering the ground tonight. As a 52 yo Granddad, it was quite a thrill and I wonder if this is a ploy to make going to Withdean more enjoyable.

Of course, some may wonder why, in this day & age and with no incidents of violence, why do ordinary (valued?) customers treated in such a way? We could all understand security checks at airports etc at timnes of heightened security but really, let's try to drag the football experince up from some 30 years ago and treat paying customers with dignity & respect.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Was (pleasently) surprised to have been given a full body massage by a female stuard before entering the ground tonight. As a 52 yo Granddad, it was quite a thrill and I wonder if this is a ploy to make going to Withdean more enjoyable.

Of course, some may wonder why, in this day & age and with no incidents of violence, why do ordinary (valued?) customers treated in such a way? We could all understand security checks at airports etc at timnes of heightened security but really, let's try to drag the football experince up from some 30 years ago and treat paying customers with dignity & respect.

I quiet happy for the riff raff to get searched, but there should be a fast track turnstyle and executive lounge for season ticket holders.

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
I posted earlier in this thread that the stewards at Withdean should use a bit of "commonsense" when they go about there duties.

A "sense of humour" would also come in handy?

I am still waiting to find out if...............

"if it is possible to bring in one of those disposable barbeques that you can get in Woolies for about £2.99p".

and get the pin back that i had used to keep my poppy on my shirt when i "tried to gain entry" to the ground!

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
Safety certificate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you're so angry about it I suggest you raise it with Richard Hebbard at the club - I'm sure he'll revel in why so many stewards have to be hired because of a combination of the Football League rules and the safety certificate. The rules DO exisit - can't remember the exact number but before the extended capacity it used to need a minimum of 65 (ish) stewards before the match could go ahead.

I've not posted on this shit thread for a few days because PNFE gets his questions answered and then trys to ask them in a different language so he can keep moaning.In answer to your question WS you are right the rule does exist, the number now i believe is a minimum of 75 stewards to put on a game.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I've not posted on this shit thread for a few days because PNFE gets his questions answered and then trys to ask them in a different language so he can keep moaning.In answer to your question WS you are right the rule does exist, the number now i believe is a minimum of 75 stewards to put on a game.

I really don't think you should let the above facts get in the way of this thread as no doubt PNFE considers there is plenty more mileage in the fact there were 3 stewards checking his ticket at the time he went in the ground.

The tall one

Banned
Jan 2, 2007
clapham_gull

"...my lack of common sense lead me to drop my wallet in the ground this season. It was found by a steward and handed back to me after the game."

But did it have any money left in it? ???

I hope that you are not calling stewards thieves?.

I only hope that one day you need the help of a steward and then you will understand what the stewards are there for.

The tall one

Banned
Jan 2, 2007
I'm not read anything on here that leads me to the conclusion that on the whole they don't use their common sense.

From personal experience, they are fantastic in the disabled area and in response to your not completely serious comment that they collect booty...

...my lack of common sense lead me to drop my wallet in the ground this season. It was found by a steward and handed back to me after the game.

After sitting next to H block for most of my Withdean life, I made my own conclusions about who is to blame for any break down in trust between the stewards and the fans.

It isn't the stewards.

When fans attend the match with masks with the word "pig" on the front to insult a particular steward you've lost the argument I'm afraid. Ironically, if the steward singled out was the one I think it was - they are actually one of the most reasonable and friendly stewards I've met down there.

Unfortunately it's one of those jobs where you really have to carry out your orders as instructed, and if you've got a problem I'd direct it at the safety officer of the club for example. What's the expression - a thankless task" ?

Most remarkable thing that happened to me was that I was asked to sit down (as a helper) in the disabled area on the running track.

I knew that the steward was only acting on direct instructions and felt sorry for them being asked to carry out such a ridiculous
request. I dealt with that, but it didn't involve having a go at the steward.

If anyone has got a problem with having their bag searched do as I do. Offer it to the stewards before being asked, smile - engage in quick friendly conversation and go on your way. By magic, what with them being human beings and all that - they get to recognise your face. Yes, a few stewards actually say hello to me as I enter the ground.

You'd be amazed how being polite in the first place gets a similiar response.

Completely agree............

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
My comments were really along the lines of do we really need all this searching in this day 7 age? Withdean is hardly a hotbed of hooliganism, who would pay nearly £25.00 to sit in the wind and rain to take the chance of hurling something at opposing supporters? I think the rocket-launcher that would be needed to reach said fans might just be noticable.

Without wanting to seem all mamby-pamby liberal but really, are there any other circumstances in day to day life, not just entertainment, where you are subjected to a search?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
My comments were really along the lines of do we really need all this searching in this day 7 age? Withdean is hardly a hotbed of hooliganism, who would pay nearly £25.00 to sit in the wind and rain to take the chance of hurling something at opposing supporters? I think the rocket-launcher that would be needed to reach said fans might just be noticable.

Without wanting to seem all mamby-pamby liberal but really, are there any other circumstances in day to day life, not just entertainment, where you are subjected to a search?

Try Brixton academy, they only just stop at getting the surgical gloves out.

Getting on a plane, although quite understandable.

I've been searched going into a museum and although it hasn't happened to me, I know many people who've got searched at London Stations as part of the anti-terrorism legislation. This happens daily.

In a previous job (when the terror alert was hightened), I've had my bag searched when entering American companies in central London.

Last week the police had a mobile scanner set up outside the Westfield shopping centre. It fact the most noticeable thing about the new Westfield shopping centre is the amount of police around the entrances. It's just like entering a football arena, they even have their own Stewards.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Try Brixton academy, they only just stop at getting the surgical gloves out.

Getting on a plane, although quite understandable.

I've been searched going into a museum and although it hasn't happened to me, I know many people who've got searched at London Stations as part of the anti-terrorism legislation. This happens daily.

In a previous job (when the terror alert was hightened), I've had my bag searched when entering American companies in central London.

Last week the police had a mobile scanner set up outside the Westfield shopping centre. It fact the most noticeable thing about the new Westfield shopping centre is the amount of police around the entrances. It's just like entering a football arena, they even have their own Stewards.

In nightclubs the search could be for weapons or drugs, at stations, shopping centres it could be terrorism prevention but what exactly is the threat at Withdean now?

How mant arrests have there been at Withdean in the last 12 months and jhow many people have been stopped from entering the ground because of someting they have on their person?

Withdean is very much a family experience and probably one of the safest things you can take your kids too, so why the need to present this image to youngsters that it is right to randomly thrisk everyone as if they are a potential hooligan?

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
In nightclubs the search could be for weapons or drugs, at stations, shopping centres it could be terrorism prevention but what exactly is the threat at Withdean now?

How mant arrests have there been at Withdean in the last 12 months and jhow many people have been stopped from entering the ground because of someting they have on their person?

Withdean is very much a family experience and probably one of the safest things you can take your kids too, so why the need to present this image to youngsters that it is right to randomly thrisk everyone as if they are a potential hooligan?

Champion 7 will be the person to answer how many are stopped coming in, as for arrests there have been far too many!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here