Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Completely OTT stewarding outside family stand

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
According to the home office website out of the 9 arrest only ONE was at Withdean, the other 8 were away games.

Also from the 9, 4 were league games and 5 were in the cup.

According to the home office website out of the 9 arrest only ONE was at Withdean, the other 8 were away games.

Also from the 9, 4 were league games and 5 were in the cup.

The cup attracts some of those occasional visitors who claim they are lifelong Albion fans, but only come to big games like the Man City one. Then they posture like they're king of the jungle hoolies, because they've not been to a match in years and they think that's what being a football fan is still about.

There are the occasional away fans who are banned from their own ground for one reason or another, and they think they are living up to some kind of reputation. I saw a couple like that following Millwall - totally pathetic actually, but they seem to think it's impressive! :drool: :jester:

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Has anyone thought that there is very little trouble and very few arrests BECAUSE of the stewarding at Withdean rather than despite it?

Very few people are stopped from entering the ground because they are carrying something they shouldn't because they know they will be searched before going in so don't try and take it in the first place.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
So why should someone be more tempted to take something to Withdean than to, say, Sainsbury's? You wouldn't take something offence to your local supermarket just because you know that you'd not get searched, would you?

I just think it's wrong to assume thatnearly everybody attending a match, having paid a fortune and maybe set to spend nearly 2 hours in appalling weather, should be considered as a potential thug and therefore subject to a search.

I don't suggest it's a major reason but i could see why some potential customers might feel a tad annoyed and it would be another reason not to go.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Just because someone doesn't look like a thug doesn't mean they are not one.

Maybe we should ask potential thugs to identify themselves as such at the turnstiles and let everyone else though without being searched - because people really are that honest.

And we all know there are certain people (not necessarily regular fans) who go to a match looking for trouble!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Dah, that's a very dated attitude. The figures show there is no hooligan problem at Withdean. Any self respecting young hoolie would not spend £20+ to potentially sit in the rain and barely be in sight of any opposition fans, let alone striking distance. Any of those would be looking for trouble outside the ground or down the town.

Of course there is always the threat of anyone being a nutter but, if you used your logic then people would have to be searched before entering any establisment 'just in case'.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Mine is a reasoned argument, not a rant. I've been through all the hoolie years and am well aware of how football was and how it can sometimes be, but NOT at Withdean.

Was it you who suggested that the fact there's been no terrorists at Withdean is because we are all searched? That was pathetic.

Let's have some facts. How many people have been stopped, what weapons have been removed, how many have been arrested?

I don't get out & about much these days but I've not been searced going toi a pub, or a show, or to the dogs or the races. If I go away then it is not uncommon for away fans to be searched but even then there seems to be some process of selection and old gits like me are usually waved on.

It's not the biggest thing in the world but, should i take one of my g'children to a match at Withers I don't really want to be in the position of having to explain to them that their Grandad is actually considered a potential thug.

It's a shame this 'Respect' policy doesn't extend to paying customers.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
So why should someone be more tempted to take something to Withdean than to, say, Sainsbury's? You wouldn't take something offence to your local supermarket just because you know that you'd not get searched, would you?

I just think it's wrong to assume thatnearly everybody attending a match, having paid a fortune and maybe set to spend nearly 2 hours in appalling weather, should be considered as a potential thug and therefore subject to a search.

I don't suggest it's a major reason but i could see why some potential customers might feel a tad annoyed and it would be another reason not to go.
Yeah the thought of being searched would really put me off going to a game! Especially if I knew the team were going to play crap, it was going to rain all through the game and I would have to listen to the crowd singing/chanting/moaning all afternoon.

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
Are you blue in the face yet Freddie?

Ever get frisked entering any other venue? Ever?

Ah who cares, you are getting frisked at Withdean and that's that, big deal.

I'd be accepting of it as routine, and worry more about how the team play for your £24 if I were you

NMH

Finished insulting FG?
Who has had "more hot dinners than you can think about"!

Your attitude and nature of your post reveals alot about yourself.
Hopefully not all the stewards at Withdean have the same outlook towards the fans as you?

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
NMH

Finished insulting FG?
Who has had "more hot dinners than you can think about"!

Your attitude and nature of your post reveals alot about yourself.
Hopefully not all the stewards at Withdean have the same outlook towards the fans as you?

Fazz they are virtually the same age!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here