Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

commuters from brighton beware

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I honesstly do not know but I would have thought so as the actual fire was trackside I think

Looks like it was on the walkway:

A-oe4KGCQAAhOh2.jpg

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
I was there too. 4 half hours from Clapham to Portslade.

Though it was hugely inconvenient, and buffered my night right up I have to say I did enjoy watching several people totally SPACK out over the confusion. And the bumrush for the buses was amusing to watch too. Some nice camaraderie as well so all in all could have been worse.
Sounds like the blitz.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What you totally ignore is the hefty subsidise from the Government everyone has to contribute as opposed to those that actually use it in the UK

How many people in the UK over 18 do you think have NEVER been on a train? We all use them, just some more than others and this is reflected in the proportional ticket price. Though from some of your other posts you're not exactly a fan of paying high train fares are you?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
How many people in the UK over 18 do you think have NEVER been on a train? We all use them, just some more than others and this is reflected in the proportional ticket price. Though from some of your other posts you're not exactly a fan of paying high train fares are you?

Wow another dig because I worked for BR many moons ago - join the groovy gang

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I'll take that as an inability to answer the first point and an annoyed admission of the second.

I can answer not sure why I bother there are some very cheap fares if you search around and also a lot of people whatever age do not use the trains.

And no it is not annoyed something I am very pleased to have.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Correct.
Shameless self-promotion or blowing your own trumpet would have also been acceptable answers.

I am appointing you as my publicist from now on, please promote me

I forgot, the wages - 4 pack of Strongbow

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Blog and a radio show

And there I am wasting my time on the media when I could be booking up cheap rail tickets I earned by working for a nationalised institution while defending it's privatised successor having got the f*** out of Dodge.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
what so Germany, Poland or Slovakia never have fires, never have failures of any kind or when they do they are able to fix them immediatly with no loss of service? thats impressive if true.

i dont think a fire, especially if caused by attempted theft, is anything to start whinging at the rail companies for. i'm pissed that they seem to have odd rotas for guards and i get very pissed off when theres no information. today they (southern at least) have been keeping us informed of the situation and changes, got an earlier train and home normal time, so not too bad.

They do of course. I have been on delayed trains abroad but being on holiday and stress levels being lower it's easier to forget a slightly more difficult journey. It can happen anywhere.

But I don't think the trackside fire could have happened at a worse time with the last day of commuting before Christmas and loyal passengers returning to work in January to find their season ticket prices rise yet again.

Late yesterday afternoon I waited for a rush hour train from Three Bridges after coming back from Horsham. It was running late and no room at all to board with a tube-like crush, stuck under people's armpits so decided to wait another 15 minutes in the wind and rain before fairly comfortably getting a seat.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I can answer not sure why I bother there are some very cheap fares if you search around and also a lot of people whatever age do not use the trains.

A lot of people don't find the cheaper fares in advance either by not having internet access or older people prefer the buses as they're free even if they're much slower.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
And there I am wasting my time on the media when I could be booking up cheap rail tickets I earned by working for a nationalised institution while defending it's privatised successor having got the f*** out of Dodge.

Privatisation freed up badly needed investment, BR use to buy vans on 30 year leases previously not that you would ever understand the business but feel free to think you know.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Very cheap if you travel on a set train and book your travel weeks in advance. Not so otherwise. Unless you have a few boxes left over from when you worked for the government. Then some trips are practically free.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here