Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

commuters from brighton beware

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I was there too. 4 half hours from Clapham to Portslade.

Though it was hugely inconvenient, and buffered my night right up I have to say I did enjoy watching several people totally SPACK out over the confusion. And the bumrush for the buses was amusing to watch too. Some nice camaraderie as well so all in all could have been worse.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
First class prices

third world service

Yes, I bet in Africa, their number 1 problem isn't not having food, drink or shelter or being in a war-torn area - they are more annoyed about a train being cancelled and having to wait a whole 15 minutes for another one.

Things break occasionally, especially things that do a few hundred miles a day, as for your driver who "didn't know the way, would you want a driver who didn't know the route, where the signals are, how far away a station is etc ??

Christ, some people really expect things to be brilliant 100% of the time - just because you pay a high amount for a frequent service - doesn't mean you can lord it around like a saint. The only argument you can be pissed about is a lack of staff.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Yes, I bet in Africa, their number 1 problem isn't not having food, drink or shelter or being in a war-torn area - they are more annoyed about a train being cancelled and having to wait a whole 15 minutes for another one.

Things break occasionally, especially things that do a few hundred miles a day, as for your driver who "didn't know the way, would you want a driver who didn't know the route, where the signals are, how far away a station is etc ??

Christ, some people really expect things to be brilliant 100% of the time - just because you pay a high amount for a frequent service - doesn't mean you can lord it around like a saint. The only argument you can be pissed about is a lack of staff.

f*** me are you having a laugh? I bet you work on the trains in the shit excuses and procrastination department. Only people that work in the railways think it is ok to charge through the nose for a wank service

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

Not a commuter then?

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Every single person that works for Britain's national railways needs to see how Germany, Poland, Slovakia etc manage a service for a quarter of an average train fare without any delays and be thoroughly ashamed of Britain's efforts with the highest prices in Europe. Extremely poor form. A slap round the chops needed for a feeling of the recession.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

Still waiting for that call offering you a £28k pay rise for a job in the smoke then?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Since I'm on Tapatalk, it's an arse to reply to several posts at once - ill reply here.

No, I don't work on the railways, I did for a bit though, which is why I'm realistic and see the stuff first hand. You can't always blame the company running the trains - yeah you can for some things, but the majority of the delays are infrastructure problems which Network Rail deal with, though that's another debate altogether why failings happen so much here and not in other countries.

I do use the train a lot, sure it isn't incredibly cheap, but what alternative is there ? Like everything, it isn't going to be perfect - if you want a perfect rail system, then the UK isn't the country for you !! Doesn't help with the government cutting back costs, which then bumps the fares up as us people need to pay for everything, which of course is a annoying - it's the opposite of other countries too, which probably explains why their service is brilliant.

And a 28k a year job - wouldn't say no put it that way, have commuted to/from
London in other jobs for that money by train before and it isn't awful.

Oh and for excuses, they aren't - in my training we were told to be honest - even if that meant pissing the person off, which is where the job gets challenging. Staff are in the same boat, often with bugger all to work with, and that's another debate altogether.

This won't be sorted until the end of service on Sunday either although Network Rail have done a good job to get trains running rather quickly, hundreds of cables have been badly damaged by the fire, though a half-hourly service is running from Brighton to Three Bridges/Lewes - those going to Blackburn will have a lot of fun.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Every single person that works for Britain's national railways needs to see how Germany, Poland, Slovakia etc manage a service for a quarter of an average train fare without any delays and be thoroughly ashamed of Britain's efforts with the highest prices in Europe.

what so Germany, Poland or Slovakia never have fires, never have failures of any kind or when they do they are able to fix them immediatly with no loss of service? thats impressive if true.

i dont think a fire, especially if caused by attempted theft, is anything to start whinging at the rail companies for. i'm pissed that they seem to have odd rotas for guards and i get very pissed off when theres no information. today they (southern at least) have been keeping us informed of the situation and changes, got an earlier train and home normal time, so not too bad.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Really not looking forward to the first working day of 2013 when they will chuck in some mega mega shit signalling thing just to let you know that tho the fares may may gone up through the roof they still have you you by the bollocks and have no intention of improving things anytime soon. *****. Total and utter *****. (apologies for justified use of the **** word Bozza, please ban me lightly)

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Really not looking forward to the first working day of 2013 when they will chuck in some mega mega shit signalling thing just to let you know that tho the fares may may gone up through the roof they still have you you by the bollocks and have no intention of improving things anytime soon. *****. Total and utter *****. (apologies for justified use of the **** word Bozza, please ban me lightly)

Ill make sure to steal the signalling in the Croydon area for you then !!! It is common for the locals to steal things so that's my cover !!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

And this is why the railways are in such a state for pathetic apologists LIKE YOU.

Iexpect more for 4184 a year. Trains on time EVERY DAY is a start then the odd fire or suicide I can take.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Let's say you REALLY like full fry up breakfasts. So at the start of the year you enter a contract with me whereby you give me £4000 and I agree to turn up at 7am every morning with a perfectly cooked fry up for you.

In reality I sometimes come at 7. Sometimes quite a bit after that. Sometimes on time but I only allow you to eat it standing up. Every now and then I don't come at all. By June you're really macked off with this and you tell me you're going to look elsewhere for your fried morning treats. At this point I tell you I've cornered the market, it's me or no-one and, by the way, the price has just gone up.

Not great is it?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Surprised he didn't keep the queue happy by reciting one of his poems

Indeed something like Billy Bragg, I was a miner

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What time are these trains running? Do they stop at Preston Park?

07 and 37 from Brighton and both stop at the Park

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Every single person that works for Britain's national railways needs to see how Germany, Poland, Slovakia etc manage a service for a quarter of an average train fare without any delays and be thoroughly ashamed of Britain's efforts with the highest prices in Europe. Extremely poor form. A slap round the chops needed for a feeling of the recession.

What you totally ignore is the hefty subsidise from the Government everyone has to contribute as opposed to those that actually use it in the UK

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Can I get into PP station from the hampstead rd / woodside av side (where the fire was)?

I honesstly do not know but I would have thought so as the actual fire was trackside I think

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here