Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

commuters from brighton beware

Gig at Bloomsbury Theatre last night. Got last train from London to the Sussex coast at 12.05am, announcement: terminating at Haywards Heath due to points failure, special bus service to Brighton and stations to Worthing. Train packed. NO buses waiting, then ONE single decker turned up 15 mins later (cue mad scrum) then ONE MORE about another 10 minutes later (cue another mad scrum) with neither driver having the faintest idea what was going on. At least 250 of us left at Haywards Heath at 2am with no idea what was happening: the station staff had no idea either. Eventually shared a taxi at cost of £15. In old BR days the points probably wouldn't have failed cos the track would have been maintained properly, and if it had enough buses would have been waiting for us when we got to HH. RENATIONALISATION WITHOUT COMPENSATION NOW.

Couldn't have put it better myself Attila. Surprised I didn't recognise you there but I was caught up in that mad first scramble. Utter chaos because when the drivers arrived even they had no clue where they were going at first!!

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
From what ive heard from Southern staff i know, it was an attempt to apparently steal the signalling cable which went badly wrong.

It isnt a track problem either, just that this box was burned to a crisp. If you were delayed, send tickets to Southern as (eventually, maybe 2 months later) you might get something back, same if you used a taxi - send them the receipt and that might also get refunded (i couldnt get on a bus at Lewes a few months back when someone tried nicking the cables at Eastbourne, so had to get a taxi which they paid me back).

Bringing back British Rail wont ever stop people trying to nick the signalling cables made from Copper, then selling them for scrap - which they dont even get much for anyway !!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Train companies are cvnts, looking forward to the yearly fair rise on the 2nd January. Arseholes.

Was your use of the wrong spelling of fare supposed to be ironic?

I don't miss my daily commute to London, but don't really understand the bile that many direct at the "train companies" when there is an infrastructure problem. :shrug:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Gig at Bloomsbury Theatre last night. Got last train from London to the Sussex coast at 12.05am, announcement: terminating at Haywards Heath due to points failure, special bus service to Brighton and stations to Worthing. Train packed. NO buses waiting, then ONE single decker turned up 15 mins later (cue mad scrum) then ONE MORE about another 10 minutes later (cue another mad scrum) with neither driver having the faintest idea what was going on. At least 250 of us left at Haywards Heath at 2am with no idea what was happening: the station staff had no idea either. Eventually shared a taxi at cost of £15. In old BR days the points probably wouldn't have failed cos the track would have been maintained properly, and if it had enough buses would have been waiting for us when we got to HH. RENATIONALISATION WITHOUT COMPENSATION NOW.

Oh dear and keep the red flag flying high

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Oh dear and keep the red flag flying high
Oh f***ing do one. He's right, the trains are f***ing gash and should be renationalised. What is the POINT of them being privately funded? There is no competition FFS. Would I use Southern and their shthouse service unless I had to? NO.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Oh f***ing do one. He's right, the trains are f***ing gash and should be renationalised. What is the POINT of them being privately funded? There is no competition FFS. Would I use Southern and their shthouse service unless I had to? NO.

Yep, renationalise would resolve problems like last night - I think not

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No, but it might prevent scandalous price hikes because there wouldn't be any shareholders to satisfy.

It would also help alleviate problems partly caused by firms where networks overlap not currently talking to each other. All in all, the current situation is a disgrace.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Yep this.

If I dont like my gas, electric, ryanair, mobile phone, internet, car etc I can use someone else. Unfortunately the same cant be said of the trains.

Ok lets put today down as a one off. Yes lets. And the suicides. Cant do much about that either.

So lets drill down to some other FREQUENT problems which ARE their fault:

Faulty trains. Er why? Is £4k a year not enough to expect WORKING trains? Evidently NOT.

Or providing enough staff to drive the f***ing things

Or the time I was waiting on a train to east croydon and the driver couldnt go any further because "he didnt know the way to littlehampton"

Or the broken windscreen wiper

Or those utter utter utterly shit Gatwick "Express" trains which never ever ever ever ever ever run on time because there are ALWAYS TECHNICAL problems with them. I may go to the ASA as they are far from Express.

Those ARE Southerns FAULT.

Then of course there is the left hand/right hand communication.

So yes its f***ing SHIT.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

It might not stop people stealing cables and setting fire to things (or for that matter jumping under trains) but Atilla's point is that the aftermath would be dealt with better. The privatised train companies using a monopoly infrastructure model is lunacy. It also doesn't incentivise them to deliver on behalf of the customer, only to hit franchise targets and make profit.

Thus you have the ridiculous situation where a train that is a little bit late suddenly doesn't stop at a couple of regular stations so it can be counted as punctual at the one it does stop at, where connections are not held for 30 seconds or a minute to help passengers by some jobsworth guard and where timetabling takes no account of connections involving different TOCs. For example I sometimes work in Reigate. Trains to London or Gatwick seem to have been deliberately timed to leave Redhill a minute or so before a train from Reigate arrives there.

None of that sort of stuff would or should happen if the train operators were renationalised.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
For example I sometimes work in Reigate. Trains to London or Gatwick seem to have been deliberately timed to leave Redhill a minute or so before a train from Reigate arrives there.

None of that sort of stuff would or should happen if the train operators were renationalised.
I LIVE in Reigate and I have lost count the number of times the Great Western is sitting on platform 2 at Redhill and just fucks off THE SECOND people start piling off the Southern train from London Bridge. C*NTS.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Yep this.

If I dont like my gas, electric, ryanair, mobile phone, internet, car etc I can use someone else. Unfortunately the same cant be said of the trains.

Ok lets put today down as a one off. Yes lets. And the suicides. Cant do much about that either.

So lets drill down to some other FREQUENT problems which ARE their fault:

Faulty trains. Er why? Is £4k a year not enough to expect WORKING trains? Eveidently NOT.

Or providing enough staff to drive the f***ing things

Or the time I was waiting on a train to east croydon and the driver couldnt go any further because "he didnt know the way to littlehampton"

Or the broken windscreen wiper

Or those utter utter utterly shit Gatwick Express trains which never ever ever ever ever ever run on time because there are ALWAYS TECHNICAL problems with them.

A quality rant - I doff my cap.

Whenever I get South of London it never ceases to amaze me how SHIT Southern trains are. As someone who resides in the Midlands, I can use

(1) Virgin : If I want to pay through the nose and have a stewardess wank me off in my luxurous seat whilst getting to London in super quick time I can use them.

(2) Chiltern : For a bit of free wi fi and a no frills service at a reaosnable price

(3) London Midland : For a shithouse steam train that costs about 5p but is time to go home by the time I get there

You lot have got a choice of (3) but without the 5p bit. The government talks about HS2 - We don't need it, there is already plenty of competition. Meanwhile the South of England creaks under the strain of one shit service by a shit company

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A quality rant - I doff my cap.

Whenever I get South of London it never ceases to amaze me how SHIT Southern trains are. As someone who resides in the Midlands, I can use

(1) Virgin : If I want to pay through the nose and have a stewardess wank me off in my luxurous seat whilst getting to London in super quick time I can use them.

(2) Chiltern : For a bit of free wi fi and a no frills service at a reaosnable price

(3) London Midland : For a shithouse steam train that costs about 5p but is time to go home by the time I get there

You lot have got a choice of (3) but without the 5p bit. The government talks about HS2 - We don't need it, there is already plenty of competition. Meanwhile the South of England creaks under the strain of one shit service by a shit company
I'm sure that idiot [MENTION=38]Beach Hut[/MENTION] thinks you share politics with Karl Marx for daring to point out these glaring facts. :rolleyes:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Or those utter utter utterly shit Gatwick Express trains which never ever ever ever ever ever run on time because there are ALWAYS TECHNICAL problems with them.

Those ARE Southerns FAULT.

The doors on those things must cause at least one cancellation a day. The guy from South West Trains who sold them to Gatwick Express must be literally pissing himself laughing.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I LIVE in Reigate and I have lost count the number of times the Great Western is sitting on platform 2 at Redhill and just fucks off THE SECOND people start piling off the Southern train from London Bridge. C*NTS.

That is the second most frustrating thing about a train trip to Reigate. The first most frustrating are the two tiny ticket barriers. When I arrive so does half of Reigate Sixth Form College. They may all be doing A levels in an attempt to be the next generation great and good but not one of the fuckers can insert a ticket in to a slot.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That is the second most frustrating thing about a train trip to Reigate. The first most frustrating are the two tiny ticket barriers. When I arrive so does half of Reigate Sixth Form College. They may all be doing A levels in an attempt to be the next generation great and good but not one of the fuckers can insert a ticket in to a slot.
That is because - and this will really surprise you - the ticket slot on the barrier for pushchairs DOESN'T f***ing WORK, despite only being installed about 12 months ago.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
That is because - and this will really surprise you - the ticket slot on the barrier for pushchairs DOESN'T f***ing WORK, despite only being installed about 12 months ago.

I'm not just surprised - you can consider me amazed. *rolls eyes*

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
I'm just glad I don't commute, whenever I get a train, the prices are disgusting, the service is shit, and there are always problems!
The price hikes every year are embarrassing for an embarrassing service, whoever thinks southern rail are doing a good job is a twat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here