Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

commuters from brighton beware

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Privatisation freed up badly needed investment, BR use to buy vans on 30 year leases previously not that you would ever understand the business but feel free to think you know.

Thst's the fault of the buyer and contract negotiator, not the business model.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Privatisation freed up badly needed investment, BR use to buy vans on 30 year leases previously not that you would ever understand the business but feel free to think you know.

This is very true - but the privatisation was badly executed.

Railtrack was a disaster - how anyone thought a monopoly company responsible for safety and maintenance could be run for profit is beyond me. Network Rail is government guaranteed - so this is no longer in private hands.

TOCs are financially in a pretty weak state and a number of franchises remain heavily reliant on govt subsidies to stay afloat.

ROSCOs are decent businesses but get their lease payments from the TOCs who are govt subsidised!

So not that private at all really - just a wheeze to get it off Osborne's balance sheet.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Your attitude is part of the problem though. You seem to think/accept that being a little bit better than BR means good. Judge yourself against current railways in the developed western world....not something which has been defunct for almost 20 years. This backward thinking helps no one including yourself. Aim a bit higher.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
And this is why the railways are in such a state for pathetic apologists LIKE YOU.

But then you would moan that the company doesnt apologise so they really couldnt care - may as well tell people to piss off then if you dont want any apologies !!

Delays are a problem when your running hundreds of trains within a minute or so of each other in places, the slightest delay to 1 can bugger everything up, why infastructure upgrades are badly needed and guess who would be expected to cover the cost ?

Let's say you REALLY like full fry up breakfasts. So at the start of the year you enter a contract with me whereby you give me £4000 and I agree to turn up at 7am every morning with a perfectly cooked fry up for you.

In reality I sometimes come at 7. Sometimes quite a bit after that. Sometimes on time but I only allow you to eat it standing up. Every now and then I don't come at all. By June you're really macked off with this and you tell me you're going to look elsewhere for your fried morning treats. At this point I tell you I've cornered the market, it's me or no-one and, by the way, the price has just gone up.

Not great is it?

What do you think can be done when the maximum amount of carriages are ran on a service ? You cant add more as none are available (though more are being built and will be available next year as seen on the news last night). Also there isnt just 1 company, its Southern and FCC so there is a choice, FCC are cheaper - but often run smaller trains which often run a lot later due to cock-ups at Luton/Bedford or Southern, which are more expensive - but more frequent but also prone to delays. Prices rises are done by the government as they want to "invest" on the railways, but they expect the passengers to foot the bill unlike other countries - this is why re-nationalisation wouldnt work with a government already trying to cut back spending !!

Revised service will operate tomorrow as well, half hourly between Brighton and Gatwick, no FCC between Brighton and Haywards Heath, near normal service on the East Coastway line.

Southern - Saturday 22 December services : Southern
FCC - http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk/static/filemanager/Sat_22_Dec_TL_TT.pdf

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Judge yourself against current railways in the developed western world....not something which has been defunct for almost 20 years. This backward thinking helps no one including yourself. Aim a bit higher.

Ever been on an AmTrak service ???

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Your attitude is part of the problem though. You seem to think/accept that being a little bit better than BR means good. Judge yourself against current railways in the developed western world....not something which has been defunct for almost 20 years. This backward thinking helps no one including yourself. Aim a bit higher.

Aim a little higher at exactly what ?

I have nothing to do with the railways bar providing a service from a company listed on a European Stock Exchange.

you really cannot get it can you, snipe and snipe with no clue what the substance is.

Disappointed, thought you were better than that

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have nothing to do with the railways bar providing a service from a company listed on a European Stock Exchange.
So, in summary, you have something to do with the railways.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So, in summary, you have something to do with the railways.

Not with the day to day running I run a contract providing a service they use but you know best

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
So, got to Btn station at 8am. Queued for the replacement bus until 9.15am. I was about 10 mins from getting on one and they started telling everyone at the BACK of the queue (which snaked all the way from the rear carpark to the M&S shop) that a train was ready to go.

Anyway, mad rush to the train and in the end plenty of room. Got into Haywards Heath at about 9.50.

The signal box at preston park is completely melted down and still smoking as we went past.

Virtually identically THIS, except I got off at Burgess Hill.

Took me over 2 hours to make what is usually a 45 mins-1 hour journey home too

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

I think this is known as the 606 Robbie Savage argument. You've never played football so what do you know. No. But i know a dogs breakfast when i see one.

I think you will be a Virgin service today looking at the Blackburn thread which is twice as fast and nice as that which is served by Southern. Virgin have showed what can be done especially when i consider how shithouse that service was years ago. The Southern service has barely changed in 30 years. I just feel sorry for the poor bastards who use it every day.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think this is known as the 606 Robbie Savage argument. You've never played football so what do you know. No. But i know a dogs breakfast when i see one.

I think you will be a Virgin service today looking at the Blackburn thread which is twice as fast and nice as that which is served by Southern. Virgin have showed what can be done especially when i consider how shithouse that service was years ago. The Southern service has barely changed in 30 years. I just feel sorry for the poor bastards who use it every day.

If you think you can compare the business model of Virgin long distance to commuting Southern Railway then yes I can claim that Robbie Savage argument - two totally different types of service

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
If you think you can compare the business model of Virgin long distance to commuting Southern Railway then yes I can claim that Robbie Savage argument - two totally different types of service

So its not possible to improve a service that operates over a shorter distance then?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Cock ups all over the place at Brighton again this morning.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not with the day to day running I run a contract providing a service they use but you know best

So, again in summary, you have something to do with the railways.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I never said you drove the train. But, you are a rail apologist and you are part of the sorry excuse we have for a railway industry in this country.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Business as usual then?

Indeed.

One train cancelled and one delayed 20 mins and counting due to a lack of drivers for them - quite how its possible to not have enough drivers when a reduced service is being run, I've really no idea.

nick c

Mar 29, 2008
bn26
I'm fortunate enough to be travelling from london to blackburn today,but for those coming from brighton how are you managing so far?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
blah blah nationalise the railways blah blah. the railways were started through private enterprise and vision. if they had been developed by givernment from the off, we would have one line calling at brighton london birmingham and edinburgh. once a week. vast swathes of whats now inner london were developed by private enterprise. people are f***ed in the head over the railways in this country, they are not bad in the great scheme of things and compared to most places in the world they work well.

if you choose to live 60 f***ing miles from your office then you have to expect problems. to think that just because you hand over a weeks beer money it means you have a divine right to be carried in a sedan chair to your workplace is insane.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here