Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS to Reading and Kazenga to Southampton?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
It would rely on building a talented midfield capable of feeding CMS the ball. That part of the project seems to have stalled.

Agreed, for me its all about the service CMS and Vokes for that matter are getting from the side has been pretty poor at times, especially away from home.

There will be large amounts of Egg on faces regarding CMS for some posters on this site in the near future.

I dont care who we have up front the way we play at present will mean any striker would struggle to get this magical 20 goals people are obsessed about.

I really dont see Gus moving CMS on, he wont write him of after 1 season and rightly so unlike some, I actually think he is doing quite well with the service he is getting.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If Poyet wan'ts them, they will stay, if he doesn't, they will go. We are not a selling club any more so it depends if its in our interests before other teams and players(subject to contracts).

I think you will find we are, and will probably remain so for some time, a selling club, whether we get promoted or not. The right price and any player is for sale.

My view was based on the fact that it was Gus who said he would build the team around CMS so presumably he expects us and the team to change not CMS.

He's had a whole season to build a team around him and the project has failed, however, we are still in a great position, despite CMS and not because of him. Nothing against him but it does seem that Brighton and the way we play is just not suited to his game so maybe cutting our (and his) losses and moving on would be the best move.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He's had a whole season to build a team around him and the project has failed, however, we are still in a great position, despite CMS and not because of him. Nothing against him but it does seem that Brighton and the way we play is just not suited to his game so maybe cutting our (and his) losses and moving on would be the best move.

It maybe that the players to compliment him were not available during this season or the clubs weren't prepared to release them but may be out of contract or whatever in the summer

Oct 25, 2003
Agreed, for me its all about the service CMS and Vokes for that matter are getting from the side has been pretty poor at times, especially away from home.

There will be large amounts of Egg on faces regarding CMS for some posters on this site in the near future.

I dont care who we have up front the way we play at present will mean any striker would struggle to get this magical 20 goals people are obsessed about.

I really dont see Gus moving CMS on, he wont write him of after 1 season and rightly so unlike some, I actually think he is doing quite well with the service he is getting.

Were only 4th in the table at the end of March after all, he must be awful.......... MUGS

yes, and we're also only 4th in the table at the end of March after all, the service from our midfielders must be awful....

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Do you acknowledge that CMS has missed a number of absolute sitters though? The sort of chances that Barnes puts away without even thinking about it.

Oct 25, 2003
away from home we do struggle a bit for goals, but we also don't concede many

at home, however, we've scored more than: Reading; West Ham; Middlesbrough; Birmingham; Hull; Leeds; Leicester; Derby; Watford; Palace; Burnley; Barnsley; Millwall; Forest; Bristol; Coventry; Doncaster and Portsmouth

Oct 25, 2003
of our 32 home goals:

Barnes- 6
Mackail-Smith- 5
Buckley- 5
Vicente- 2
Harley- 2
Sparrow- 2
Calderon- 2
Vokes- 2
Noone- 1
Greer-1
Vincelot- 1
Own Goal- 1
Forster-Caskey- 1
Lua-Lua- 1

of our 16 away goals:

Mackail-Smith- 4
Barnes- 4
Buckley- 2
Hoskins- 1
Vicente- 1
Noone- 1
Navarro- 1
Mattock- 1
Vokes- 1

jackcgull

Feb 1, 2008
Amersham
I don't get the cms-bashing. He does an important job in that team and is part of a unit playing out of its skin, Particularly at home. For all we know he may be carrying a knock. We know his back has been sore after the first Scotland trip and he may simply need a bit more rest. A fully- fit Craig is a joy to watch and I hope he stays.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Seriously. If CMS had taken the pens and had scored 6 of the 7 Barnes has, and now had a tally of 17 or 18 for the season which is highly likely would anyone be bashing him......

I doubt it.

I dont recall many sitters as you all it that CMS his missed, certainly no more than any other striker misses.

In fact i would expect his ratio of goals to chances is actually pretty good.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
According to my records, he's had 83 shots and scored ten of them.
Hoskins for brighton 9 shots and 1 goal
Barnes 83 shots 13 goals
Paynter 6 shots 0 goals
Vokes 14 shots 3 goals
Agdestein 6 shots 0 goals.

Oct 25, 2003
Seriously. If CMS had taken the pens and had scored 6 of the 7 Barnes has, and now had a tally of 17 or 18 for the season which is highly likely would anyone be bashing him......

I doubt it.

I dont recall many sitters as you all it that CMS his missed, certainly no more than any other striker misses.

In fact i would expect his ratio of goals to chances is actually pretty good.

is anyone actually bashing him? seems to be more a case of people suggesting that he wasn't good value for money

barnes cost hardly anything in comparison, and he's got FAR FAR more "bashing" than cms

FAR more

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
According to my records, he's had 83 shots and scored ten of them.
Hoskins for brighton 9 shots and 1 goal
Barnes 83 shots 13 goals
Paynter 6 shots 0 goals
Vokes 14 shots 3 goals
Agdestein 6 shots 0 goals.

Remove the pens from Barnes stats, would give a fairer indication.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
It's also worth remembering with CMS that he has plowed the lone front-man role pretty much all on his own all season. The poor fucker must have been knackered before Vokes turned up, and there is only so much running that one person can do before some of the weight of expectation is taken off their hands.

For those of you that question it, IT IS to do with our tactics that CMS has not scored as many goals this year - it's probably easier to count the games involving Peterborough that didn't 8-6 last season, hence why he scored so many goals. A change of style was always going to curb that to a degree.

He will be disappointed that he is in and out of the side, however, it's probably freshened him up a bit, and I fancy him to bag a few more before the season is out.

I would take £5M for him, but nobody is going to pay that, so he's our player, and we are much the better for it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Remove the pens from Barnes stats, would give a fairer indication.

I don't subscribe to that. Our penalty record without barnes taking them is so poor over the last two years that one can't simply dismiss them or suppose that if someone else took them they would have scored.

Oct 25, 2003
if our tactics are wrong for cms, then i'm sorry but they seem to be working for the rest of the team.........which is more important? what's best for one player or what's best for the team as a whole?

i'm not sure what playing to his strength's would entail, but at peterborough it seemed to mainly involve kamikaze style attacking....can't see gus going for that

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Has it not crossed anybodys mind that Gus may have a midfielder lined up to play the ball into CMS the way he wants it and the way we want it and will do what he says build the team around him. We must remember that Rome wasn't built in a day, this time last year we were getting excited about going into the Championships so still early days yet.

Exactly. I'm really not sure Gus wants to go up just yet and it's exciting to think his master plan sees us storm the championship by a hatful of points in two years' time

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
if our tactics are wrong for cms, then i'm sorry but they seem to be working for the rest of the team.........which is more important? what's best for one player or what's best for the team as a whole?

i'm not sure what playing to his strength's would entail, but at peterborough it seemed to mainly involve kamikaze style attacking....can't see gus going for that

Well yes that was the point I was making.

Plus you say they are working for the rest of the team, well yes they might be, but those tactics don't involve creating bag loads of chances for a free-scoring centre-forward....

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Spot on.

At some point Gus just needs to acknowledge we DO NOT set up to play to the strengths of a pacy, off-the-shoulder striker. We never have from day one under Gus. We play PATIENT, slow build up, passing football. That's what we do, and it's worked ****ing brilliantly so far.

We play quick wingers and I think an ideal striker in front of our quick, skilful attacking midfielders would be a hold up striker with an eye for goal, perhaps a chap called Bobby who could well end up in the Championship next season...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here