Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS to Reading and Kazenga to Southampton?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Wouldn't sell either thanks. We're OK for money too.

Bit mythed at why so many on here saying they'd let CMS go - people really need to get behind the bloke - he's not been bad atall this season overall but clearly hasn't had the service. As a footballer he is quality.

Oct 25, 2003
Well yes that was the point I was making.

Plus you say they are working for the rest of the team, well yes they might be, but those tactics don't involve creating bag loads of chances for a free-scoring centre-forward....

can't argue with that, but who's to say that playing in a style that creates a lot of chances wouldn't make us more vulnerable in other areas (ie. defence)

Oct 25, 2003

Bit mythed at why so many on here saying they'd let CMS go - people really need to get behind the bloke - he's not been bad atall this season overall but clearly hasn't had the service. As a footballer he is quality.

i'm not sure that we're so ok for money that we can turn down £5m for one player....especially as our budget seemed to run out fairly quickly this season?

£5m can buy you quite a lot of quality in this league

(for the record I would prefer cms not to leave, but £5m is a lot)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
i'm not sure that we're so ok for money that we can turn down £5m for one player....especially as our budget seemed to run out fairly quickly this season?

£5m can buy you quite a lot of quality in this league

(for the record I would prefer cms not to leave, but £5m is a lot)

I know what ya mean, but we bought him for 2.5mil rising to 3.25mil with add ons (not sure what they were?) so it would only be £m1.75 / 2.25m profit and we've only had him for 1 season. He is a football fans dream with his workrate and has a lot of class - worth every penny we paid IMO. It just hasn't gone as well for him recently, but I still feel he's class.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Albion are a side that don't create a lot of chances compared to most of the other promotion-chasing sides. if you stuck CMS in, say, Reading or Blackpool he'd probably be on the 16/17 goal mark which then puts him into £5mill territory.

If we don't go up this year then I'm sure Gus will look to strengthen the side with a view to creating more chances, so I can't see why selling CMS makes much sense. He'll have extra cash from the extra 4,000 seats and spin-offs that generates, so we don't need the £5mill.

As for selling KLL, this would be a disaster. He's our best winger and, for me, should be a regular starter.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Out of interest, who is this mythical midfielder that some think will be the key to unleashing CMS? I knw some will say Boyd but is that it? We bought CMS probably with the view that this was going to be a year of consolidation but like 1977/78, we have exceeded expectations. CMS is not a premiership striker and for someone to declare he is football fans dream just because of his workrate is a joke. If we have money to spend, we will be looking for a better striker than CMS to take us to the next stage.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

Spot on Sheebo

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I think CMS is decent and has had a lot of pressure on him this season. Until Vokes came along, he was the only striker playing regularly, so I'm not surprised that he had a spell where his form dipped.

It would be interesting to see him start with Vokes, but in reality we don't play with two up front unless we're chasing the game. I'd also like to see him on the pitch with Vicente to see if this creative midfielder theory has any truth as well.

However if a £5m bid is made for him, it would be crazy to turn it down. As for Kazenga...... he has a great future ahead of him and has been exceptional since he came back from injury.

Personally I think Vokes will be here next season and CMS won't.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
£5m for CMS. Sell him.

Gus does not play him to the best of his abilities, refuses to play two up front & when CMS is holding the forward line up on his own, you know it's not going to happen.

Spot on - we would be mad to turn down £5m for a player that hasn't done in it our system - cash in!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Sorry, just to check how many on here actually understand football... DO YOU REALISE WHY GUS IS RELUCTANT TO PLAY TWO UP FRONT THIS SEASON?

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Sorry, just to check how many on here actually understand football... DO YOU REALISE WHY GUS IS RELUCTANT TO PLAY TWO UP FRONT THIS SEASON?

The simple answer is no, no they don't. He hasn't scored 30 goals so HE'S SHIT. The money this summer will be spent on the complete CM and/or hold-up ST to compliment CMS. Gus is a stubborn and proud man and he will be as frustrated as anyone that CMS hasn't been as prolific as he can be, and he will be rectifying that in the summer without doubt.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The simple answer is no, no they don't. He hasn't scored 30 goals so HE'S SHIT. The money this summer will be spent on the complete CM and/or hold-up ST to compliment CMS. Gus is a stubborn and proud man and he will be as frustrated as anyone that CMS hasn't been as prolific as he can be, and he will be rectifying that in the summer without doubt.

Yes you're right re the NSC reaction but i'm not so sure re buying the foil for CMS. The system often gives us FOUR players in CM positions and that's where we win so many games and are so solid. I'd love to see CMS and Vokes / A.N Other play up tops - but it would be a huge risk to sacrifice a CM or a half winger / CM like the role Barnes has been playing. IT's a catch 22. People must realise there's a reason 2 up top worked in lg 1. Same as there's a reason a system similar to this (with wood / Murray Barnes) playing, looked completely different i.e. it looked like 3 up top whereas the system in this league, against much better players, becomes more of a 1 up top scenario. Either way CMS has done well for me and is a class player, sadly our system hasn't suited him too well at times for his true ability to shine through.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Yes you're right re the NSC reaction but i'm not so sure re buying the foil for CMS. The system often gives us FOUR players in CM positions and that's where we win so many games and are so solid. I'd love to see CMS and Vokes / A.N Other play up tops - but it would be a huge risk to sacrifice a CM or a half winger / CM like the role Barnes has been playing. IT's a catch 22. People must realise there's a reason 2 up top worked in lg 1. Same as there's a reason a system similar to this (with wood / Murray Barnes) playing, looked completely different i.e. it looked like 3 up top whereas the system in this league, against much better players, becomes more of a 1 up top scenario. Either way CMS has done well for me and is a class player, sadly our system hasn't suited him too well at times for his true ability to shine through.

Very true - taking the United/Fulham game tonight as an example, it looks like United put out a 442 on paper, with Rooney & Welbeck up top, Valencia & Young on the flanks and Giggs & Carrick in the middle. In reality it's more like:
Welbeck
Young Rooney Valencia
Giggs Carrick​

To play that way at a higher level, I think the AMC role is effectively the hold-up man, winning flick-ons and linking up play but also having the technical ability to create and run at the midfield. Vicente for example would have the creativity in that role, but not the physicality.

Gus has made no secret of the fact that the central positions (and defensive strength thereof) is integral to his playing 2 up top. Noone/Buckley/Barnes are very good at tracking back when playing wide, offering defensive strength in wide positions, but with 2 in central midfield (one of them likely to be the diminuitive Bridcutt) we'd be in danger of being overrun. That 'complete' CM is, in my mind, key to getting the best out of CMS and yet staying defensively organised and solid. The problem is that sort of player costs serious mulah, hence my feeling that will be our 'signature' signing this summer.

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
I regard him as a 'hole' player, he's great at stunning a punt forward - laying off,finding space, and has a big heart and spuds. He needs to play with and slightly behind a 6 yard poacher. If Reading were to offer £5m, he'd go, without a doubt. What sort of mindset would he have if he was held back in this division, and with (presumably) a contract that was a good deal less than on offer. We'd have to take the money.

Seems a little high for his form, but if it were true, business would be done......I like the man, and would wish him well.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
This is by no means a dig at CMS, but...

People are saying things will be sorted out when we have this 'allusive CM' and ST, however, we have Vokes and Vicente now and CMS still isn't setting the world alight.
Are people hoping we'll get better than these two in the summer? A better creative midfielder than Vicente, really?!

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
This is by no means a dig at CMS, but...

People are saying things will be sorted out when we have this 'allusive CM' and ST, however, we have Vokes and Vicente now and CMS still isn't setting the world alight.
Are people hoping we'll get better than these two in the summer? A better creative midfielder than Vicente, really?!

:clap:

This is my view also, I dont think CMS Is sh!t & I like the guy, but everyone believed we got Vokes in to team up with CMS when clearly this wasnt what gus planned & Vicente can we really get a better midfielder than him, ever if with CMS in the team? NO.

So if £5mil came along as an offer, I hope Gus would really think about it & take it as CMS has shown he doesnt fit in the way we play as a single foward.

(Be prepared for a big face palm now everyone :facepalm: )

But ...... if he does stay (which Im sure he will) in the friendly games pre season I would play him as a centre Mid ( :facepalm: ) where I honestly think he would be more effective with what he offers to the team because it would just be havok for the other team they wouldnt be able to pass the ball and they would just start kicking everywhere or making alot of mistakes, with CMS chasing them all the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here