Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Iwelumo to sign today... (He has now signed - official)

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Robert Lester Zamora said:
I believe it is a permanent signing (it was certainly expected to be that over the weekend)

This stills leaves us one loan spare

Presume the short-term deal is to allow all sides to keep their options open - depends on how he does and which division we are in next season I would guess
Great news if it is permanent :)

RLZ - Any clues as to who we may be getting on loan? ;)

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Definitely a permanent signing. No fee involved but bonuses to Stoke if we reach play-offs, get promoted etc. etc.

From Stoke official site:

Striker Chris Iwelumo today left City to join Second Divison promotion-chasers Brighton until the end of the season.

The move is permanent, and although there is no initial fee Brighton will pay bonuses based on the club reaching the play-offs or gaining promotion, plus there is a future sell-on-clause.

The move brings to an end Chris's four-year career at the Britannia Stadium, during which time he made 98 appearances (47 as a substitute) in League and Cup, scoring 19 goals, and was leading scorer for two seasons running in 2001/02 and 2002/03.

This season he found it tough to command a first-team place ahead of Ade Akinbiyi, Gifton Noel-Williams and Carl Adaba, although retained his scoring knack with eight for the reserves in the Pontins League, and was transfer-listed at his own request.

Says City boss Tony Pulis: "We wish Chris all the very best. He has been a superb professional during his time here and his request to go on the transfer-list was an indication of his desire to get regular first-team football.

"Brighton are a good club going well in Division Two and I am sure he will enjoy it there. We thank him for all his hard work and effort for the club over the last four years."

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Bald Gull said:

The move brings to an end Chris's four-year career at the Britannia Stadium, during which time he made 98 appearances (47 as a substitute) in League and Cup, scoring 19 goals, and was leading scorer for two seasons running in 2001/02 and 2002/03.

19 goals -*leading* goalscorer for *TWO* seasons meaning he got 9 1/2 average IF he did'nt score those other seasons......uuummm not exactly prolific is he :lolol:
I mean we know Leon can score but the idea of having strikers is that they ALL score....now I'm worried!

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
Excellent signing for us, I reckon hes a more skillful version of la la la Rougier, just what we and Leon needs to hold the ball more upfront. Nice to sign someone permanently for a change too, and he must have been impressed by club to drop a division. Positive stuff!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Soton Seagull said:
Sky mentioned that Barnsley offered 50k for him in Jamuary and taht was turned down. On that basis, it sounds like we have a bargain.

Not prolific, but about half his Stoke appearances were as sub.

Tykes abandon Iwelumo bid
Monday, 26 January 2004

Barnsley boss Gudjon Thordarson is ready to admit defeat in his efforts to bring Chris Iwelumo to Oakwell.
The Icelandic manager has previously worked with the big Scot during his own spell at Stoke and having had three bids for the powerful forward rejected, Thordarson is ready to turn his sights on alternative targets.

Barnsley are thought to have offered a final bid of around £50,000, but with Stoke seemingly reluctant to sell, the deal does now seem unlikely.

Iwelumo, out of contract in the summer, is entitled to move on a Bosman in the summer and is also rumored to be interesting Brighton, Sheffield Wednesday, Northampton and Walsall.

The Yorkshire club could now focus their attention on trying to lure former Bristol Rovers striker Jamie Cureton to Oakwell.

Cureton is available for a £50,000 fee and has already attracted interest from Sunderland, QPR and former club Reading.

Earlier this week, Barnsley had a bid for Grimsby's Michael Boulding rejected. The former tennis professional is entitled to speak to any club that bids above £45,000 and could be another alternative for The Tykes.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Spoke to my mate, a Stoke fan, and he rates him. Says he was popular and is a very good player in Div Two.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
This is good news, now we can look at getting in a decent left sided midfielder for the remainder of the season and were well set up to get into the play offs.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Cool, second proper signing this season. Will definitely be listening to the match tomorrow now! Look forward to seeing him making his Withdean debut on Saturday.

:cool:

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Trigger said:
Love to see him back too :clap2:

Aren't they very similar players though? I would have thought the final loan would now be better used trying to get a creative midfielder in (although I still think Piercy can play this role if he stays fit)

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
Think Piercy should go left side of midfield, and don't forget Rodger should be fit soon.

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
Rodger very unlikely to be seen this season - even if we make the playoffs

News on Blackwell is much more encouraging though

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Name : Chris Iwelumo
Squad Number : 15
Position : Striker
Nationality : Scottish
International Caps : 0
Date of Birth : 01/08/78
Height : 6'04"
Weight : 13.00
Date Signed : 29/02/00
Previous Clubs : St Mirren, Aarhus, York City (loan), Cheltenham Town (loan)

Chris Iwelumo was signed shortly before Bjarni Gudjonsson, but unlike Bjarni, Chris had to bide his time for his first start and his first goal for the Potters. During his first two seasons at the Britannia Stadium, the big Scot only managed to appear 7 times, all as a substitute, but managed to score two goals, one in the 5-1 thumping of York in the Worthington Cup, and his first league goal in the 3-2 victory over Milwall, scoring a last minute header to secure the points for Stoke.

Shortly after the Milwall game, Chris was loaned out to York City, where he managed to score two goals, and on his return was loaned to Cheltenham Town, then managed by Steve Cotterill. At Cheltenham he only made a handful of appearances, but still managed to get on the score sheet once.

Iwelumo spent a lot of his pre-season before the 01/02 campaign in his own personal training, and it showed. Chris looked as though he had a new dimension to his game, and good early season appearances and goals in the reserves, most notably two in the 3-1 victory against Shrewsbury Town.

The sale of Peter Thorne freed up an attacking position, and saw Chris making a few substitute appearances. He grabbed his first goal of the season in the 3-2 defeat to Blackpool in the LDV Vans Trophy, but this no where near made such an impact as his equalising goal against Potteries neighbours Port Vale, where Chris literally stepped off the bench and scored to end the game 1-1.

Chris kept his good form until Christmas, and then had to wait until the end of February to get back on the score sheet, hitting 2 against Bury as the Shakers went down 4-0. He then followed up with another in the 3-1 home victory to Brighton, before ending his scoring against Swindon Town after coming off the bench during the 2-0 victory. Chris rounded his campaign off as the top scorer with 12 goals in all competitions to his name.

Despite suffering with a couple of minor injury problems Chris once again became the clubs leading scorer in our first season back in division netting 7 goals. The most memorable coming against Wigan where he hit a powerful volley to cap off an excellent move that he started himself.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
And interesting response from Brentford website:

Atto Bee
Has been put on the transfer list today by Stoke City.
Probably well out of our price range, but certainly worth a look either permanently or on loan for the rest of the season with Tommy Wright gone.

Luton Bee
I doubt we could afford even his toe-nail clippings, and if we could Wally would probably put them in goal :D

Banana
Are shirt buttons legal tender in Stoke?
It amazes me how some people think. Why is he on the Transfer List of Stoke? Is it because he's too good for them, or maybe his wages aren't high enough and only the Bees can match his wage demands? Someone else thinks they're "not for them" so they must be ok for the bees :confused:

Atto Bee
Hey hey, calm down guys.
He's got some experience (25 years old), tall (6'3"), good in the air which would suit Wally's style of play, that's why I picked him out. He went on the transfer list at his own request because Stoke have five other strikers, not because they thought he wasn't good enough. I don't go around starting new threads about every single player who goes on the transfer list from a higher division, but maybe some players who don't fit in at one club will at ours?
It don't think being Stoke's top scorer for the past two seasons exactly warrants him the tag of 'another crap striker'.
For me, Harrold has got nowhere near convincing me yet, the only goals he's scored were against a team four divisions below us in the pyramid and playing league football he has shown some good touches but looked a little out of his depth and worried to get stuck in.
Peters, I agree, has looked good whenever he has come on, but does not really fit in with Wally's tactics (don't start up with "What tactics!?" please) whereas Iwelumo would.
As I said originally, probably well out of our reach, but you have to speculate to accumulate.

wanderingbee
A striker, good in the air, pacey, suits our long ball game, bangs goals in at an alarming rate......... Leo fortune waste was doing the same and continues to do the same except with a red and white shirt on (except Donnie rovers but there's is hoops so dont count)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here