Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Iwelumo to sign today... (He has now signed - official)

CrabtreeBHA said:
OK the official page has updated with McGhee's comments and he wants Benji back on loan so that means:

a) No midfielder which many people believe we need!
b) Does that use up the last Loan? I believe so (correct me if wrong)
c) If Chris Imwelumoem something does fire up straight away will we really need Benji back?

I think it's fantastic news that McGhee thinks we can still get Trev back. Our play-off run-in is shaping up superbly whether we win, lose or draw at the Cheats tomorrow.

Lumo looks like a fantastic signing - just what we are looking for. Surely the most telling comments about him were his suitability for direct football.

This is the kind of football that McGhee has opted for to get us out of Div 2. It's working well at the moment but just needs those finishing touches up front to really click.

Playing this style means you don't need silky ball players in midfield. Honest workhorses will do - and we have them. We keep games tight, we press the opposition we launch quick, direct attacks when we have the ball. For that you need a forward line that make Div 2 defences shit themselves, and Lumo, Leon and Trev fit that bill.

Ask yourself this question. Who would you prefer for our last loan.

A silky ball-playing attacking midfielder like Mark Yeates. Or Trev, the guy with 5 in 10 and showing glimpses of Prem class.

Now I loved Yeates when he was here, he was the kind of player you would pay an extra few quid on top of your ticket price to watch. But we have to be a little more hard-hearted than that as supporters. We need players who dovetail perfectly with our more limited footballing style. Trev is that player.

Remember also the tactics used to defeat Plymouth, 3 strikers up front and a midfield of Chippy and two grafters to cover the gaps. It's an exciting option for McGhee if we are successful in getting Trev back.

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
sams dad said:
Problem is Yorkie,it's only us old'un's who know the tune of "Donald where's yer trousers"

My great grand-daddy used to have it on one of those big black CD things:lolol:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
I love the idea of Big Trev and Big Chris up front with Leon running between them and Jake as a sub to come on and mix things around.

Remember the days of Bristol Rovers Smash and Grab ... similar success.

We are going up!
:clap2:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
How about Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu when he scores. Rather than Manures Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu or Chelski's Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

:jester:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
tommy boy 86 said:
but if you have benji and iwelumo, you don't need any creativity, knight can feed off their flicks

Benjamin can't stay for the playoffs though.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Thimble Keegan said:
That is exactly why Yeates should not be signed. His first 2 games were good then he was terrible.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

He was far from complete but unless McGhee can find another creative midfielder Yeates looks like the best bet.

Doesn't look like we'll sign him again anyway so a pointless argument!

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Turkey said:
He was far from complete but unless McGhee can find another creative midfielder Yeates looks like the best bet.

Doesn't look like we'll sign him again anyway so a pointless argument!

True, although there must be far better players available we can sign...And not on poxy loan either.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
southstandandy said:
Yep - it's him

6ft 4in tall - 25 years old - fits the profile of the sort of player we need.

Excellent! Strange days indeed when the very first thing you want to know about an Albion signing is not WHO he is but HOW TALL he is. Maybe the penny finally dropped at the club that we need a big bloke up front to counteract the little bloke. Whatever. Nice one! :clap:

Last edited:

Re: great

East Preston Gull said:
:glare: :glare:
great signing..His try against england was fantastic.He stormed past tony underwood,knock rob andrew flying and flattened will carling.

Nice to have a Lomu to join Jonah in the team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here