Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Iwelumo to sign today... (He has now signed - official)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So is he a loan signing, or a permanent signing (with an opt out clause at the end of the season) ?

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
1.00 o'clock news said he has signed , initially as a loan player, and will be available to play at Chesterfield tomorrow. I believe they said he will be with us until the end of the season but not sure on what terms.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Sounds like a good signing. Like Benjamin, he had an average record before coming to Brighton but we can turn him into the finished product. Shame about being a Jock though.

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
I believe it is a permanent signing (it was certainly expected to be that over the weekend)

This stills leaves us one loan spare

Presume the short-term deal is to allow all sides to keep their options open - depends on how he does and which division we are in next season I would guess

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
We're going to be a lot bigger physically under McGhee than under Coppell. Potentially another good signing.

Must win tomorrow at Cheaterfield.

Come on!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Incidentally, The Times gave Benjamin a rating of 5/10 for Leicester even though his flick on led indirectly to the winning goal. If MA agrees with that assessment, surely we could still yet get him back, although with Big Chris on board I'd think a midfielder is now a priority.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
I'll always remember Lumo scoring the equaliser for Stoke against Vale in the Potteries derby a few seasons back. Slightly the worse for wear, the celebrations of the surrounding Stoke fans nearly caused me to throw up all over the place. Thankfully kept it in and made it to the bogs in time. Thanks Lumo! That goal is what gave him cult status amongst Stoke fans, it certainly wasn't down to any amazing bits of skill. He's a good centre forward for a 2nd division team and should partner Leon well. He's got a decent first touch, good at heading the ball and has a rather alarming tendenancy to find the goalkeeper instead of the goal when shooting.
The general opinion of most Stoke fans is that he was good for the 2nd division but nowhere near 1st division standard, an opinion born out by his goal scoring record last season. With Akinbiyi, Asaba and Noel-Williams up front for Stoke this season he hasn't really had a sniff of regular first team football. He's an honest player and always puts a lot of effort into his performances, another reason why Stoke fans took a liking to him. On the whole I think he's a good signing for this season but if we were to go up I wouldn't put that much faith in him in the 1st division.

scotjem

Oct 25, 2003
Glasgow
Ex Shelton Seagull said:
...and has a rather alarming tendency to find the goalkeeper instead of the goal when shooting.

Didn't we use to have another Scottish player like that ?

Buckingham

Feb 23, 2004
Brighton
Sounds like a good signing to me, hope it's not classified as a loan to the end of the season as I agree we could do with another midfielder, particularly down the left side.

I'm already feeling more optimistic about Cheaterfraud tomorrow night. COME ON YOU SEAGULLLSSS!!!!

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Great news... we need that height up front... and he doesn't need to score loads of goals... that's what Leon is there for...

Good signing, IMHO... well done MM...

Hope this is not a loan, would (always) prefer a perm signing... anyone know what type of signing "Lumo" is?...

Jason Speaks

Feb 4, 2004
Portslade
His contract with Stoke is up in June. Is it possible we are taking on the remainder of it and then will discuss a new one when the time comes?

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
sounds good to me, glad to see an immediate signing (perm or loan) right after Benji's return to Leicester. Could've dragged on for ages and I would've hated that, but this quick fix is class.
Well done McGhee :clap:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Seems a good signing

Iwelumo

These stats are impressive:
Stoke City (league appearances and goals)
48 appearances (43 as sub) and 21 goals

Also these postings tend to suggest he was well loved by Stoke fans:
Big Chris Iwelumo signs for Brighton

Good luck Chris. Hope all works out well for you.
Thanks for all your hard work and goals over the past few years.
Norwich Stokie

IP: Logged
IlfordDave Posted on 15/3 13:23 Email this Message | Edit | Reply

re: Big Chris Iwelumo signs for Brighton

Aye good luck Lumo, and thanks for all the memories ;)
that goal against wigan in the FA cup....was a flucky fucker wasn't it

IP: Logged
cambs_stokie Posted on 15/3 13:25 Email this Message | Edit | Reply

re: Big Chris Iwelumo signs for Brighton

Good luck LUMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! All the best m8. I'm sure we'll all keep an eye on how your gettin on.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
1...2....3....4....awaiting mergement from mods....5.....6.....7.....8....

:jester:

.....9......10........DONE! :clap:

Back to topic, hopefully this will clear the way for a decent midlfield loan/perm/whatever signing too. I mean 2 new players in as many days to strengthen the squad for the run in can only be good for us.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here