Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chillies, Toms & Sweet Pepper growing

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
looking good THPP, might wanna think about "pinching" nearer April time. Potted mine on yesterday (from seed trays into bigger pots) and completley forgot to sew the sweet pepper seeds :angry: will do them tomorrow night!

What's "pinching" Marc?

Is it this?

Some plants have very crisp, thin stems and can be deadheaded using you fingers. This type of deadheading is referred to as pinching. Coleus plants are grown for their foliage, not their flowers. Pinching the flowers off of coleus plants encourages the plants to become bushier and fuller. Other flowers that can be pinched include daylilies and salvias.

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
it means to cut back the plant somewhat to encourage growth, helps produce more buds over time, search the forums here for a better explanation! Chillis Galore

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
This is what TRHK Jr has grown. Nagas, Scotch Bonnet and Amazons apparently. Been growing in jiffy pots, now potted on and normally living under the window by the radiator.

Attachments

• DSC00088.JPG
    DSC00088.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 148

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
looking nice! mine are a tough bigger than those currently with Scotch Bonnets lagging behind!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
You planted yours a couple of weeks ahead of him. Naga have been very disappointing - only two germinated. Should they still be under some kind of cover Marc or now that they have leaves is warmth all they need?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not a lot to report this month. Some hot bud action in prospect, but for now chilli plant is biding its time. Hopeful of mid-table mediocrity by this time next month :thumbsup:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
You planted yours a couple of weeks ahead of him. Naga have been very disappointing - only two germinated. Should they still be under some kind of cover Marc or now that they have leaves is warmth all they need?

sorry missed this, no cover needed if indoors, mine have been fine so far and getting nicely large now.
What I have done is get a Fan on them to simulate Wind (obviously!!) to help them "Man Up" the stems so they are ready for the outdoors. Even though mine are going straight into greenhouses it does'nt do any harm to have them stronger, especially if producing lots of fruits.

Not a lot to report this month. Some hot bud action in prospect, but for now chilli plant is biding its time. Hopeful of mid-table mediocrity by this time next month :thumbsup:

looking good THPP :thumbsup:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I've got 18 seedlings on the go, plus another 24 in the propagator. I've got a mixture of thai, paprika, jalepeno and "hot chilli" from the garden centre. All looking promising this far.

A quick question - how soon should you switch to the vegetable feed?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I've got 18 seedlings on the go, plus another 24 in the propagator. I've got a mixture of thai, paprika, jalepeno and "hot chilli" from the garden centre. All looking promising this far.

A quick question - how soon should you switch to the vegetable feed?

I use Chilli Focus (found in some garden centres or online) and wait until the first 4 proper leaves have set in, or they reach a certain height (depending on plant.
Seaweed Food is also decent for Chillis in my experience

image_thumbnailer.aspx

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
sorry missed this, no cover needed if indoors, mine have been fine so far and getting nicely large now.
What I have done is get a Fan on them to simulate Wind (obviously!!) to help them "Man Up" the stems so they are ready for the outdoors. Even though mine are going straight into greenhouses it does'nt do any harm to have them stronger, especially if producing lots of fruits.

looking good THPP :thumbsup:

cheers Marc :thumbsup:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Chilli Festival this weekend on Hove Lawns, not sure I can make it unfortunatley but hoping that changes!

Fiery Foods UK Events

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I use Chilli Focus (found in some garden centres or online) and wait until the first 4 proper leaves have set in, or they reach a certain height (depending on plant.
Seaweed Food is also decent for Chillis in my experience

image_thumbnailer.aspx

Ta.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
You chaps got any tips for a man living in a hot country and wanting to grow his own? The chilli culture isn't exactly big in these parts - the only ones in the shops are long and pale green...

I'd like to grow some of those short-ish red and dark green ones you get to see in Taj Foods and Chinese supermarkets back home.

Suspect I shall need to order by post from somewhere, yes?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
GT find somewhere that sends seeds to you and you're sorted! some of the English seed companies might but i'm not sure about export rules and stuff though regarding seeds.

Potted a few of mine onto final large pots today, plus White Washed the Greenhouse and bought a Paraffin Heater thingy to keep them warm at night...nice!

Attachments

• DSC00427.JPG
    DSC00427.JPG
    238.9 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC00428.JPG
    DSC00428.JPG
    277.3 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC00429.JPG
    DSC00429.JPG
    247.3 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC00430.JPG
    DSC00430.JPG
    235.6 KB · Views: 79

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
GT find somewhere that sends seeds to you and you're sorted! some of the English seed companies might but i'm not sure about export rules and stuff though regarding seeds.
Thanks, Marc. I did check out the Suttons website but seems they won't export outside the UK. Will have to try and find an illicit supply of chillies, and lemon grass seeds via my local Chinese restaurant.

Also, I've just planted some seeds I scooped from the fresh pale green chillies they sell around here. Dunno if that'll work though... Maybe they need to have been treated or pre-dried or something? All advice welcome!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here