Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chillies, Toms & Sweet Pepper growing

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
yeah RoF & Jalapenos are easy enough to grow, Habaneros are not too bad either so that sounds good to me. Nest to start off with easy growing ones then move onto the more harder ones the next year once you know what you're doing as some Chillies can be tricky, Tabasco for me over two years I got less than 10 fruits from it!!

Cheers Marc - are they all greehouse varieties, or will they tolerate our 'summer'?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Cheers Marc - are they all greehouse varieties, or will they tolerate our 'summer'?

preferably in a green or hot house (I have both!), the hardiest ones will last easily enough in the out doors but you may need to check on them still. In theory most species should be OK.

My first 2 years I had them outside and brought them in when there was strong winds/heavy rain as I was too nervous about keeping them outside! Although the ones I'm growing for work will be outside permanently so I'll see how they do.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Good Luck to all 2010 Chilli Growers!

THPP, yours still going ok?

Cheers Marc!

Mine's is still hibernating methinks. Leaves curling a bit round the edges, but they get a glass of water every weekend, whether they need it or not. Expecting GREAT things to start sprouting next month :thumbsup:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
yeah keep it warm and on the window and she'll be fine, not sure when to expect the first buds though, my over wintered Tabasco did'nt get them for ages!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Seeds sewn today, gone for 30 Plants in total thats not even half of what I did last year! Wanna spend more time with each plant as last year there were too many and I lost control of them abit!

Placed into seeds trays in mini-incubators (with Electric Heat Tray) on a West facing window ledge with radiator underneath...no chance of them dropping below 22c then! Ideally chilli seeds need to be between 22c-28c for the first few weeks and never drop below 20c thereafter if possible.

Attachments

• DSC00273.JPG
    DSC00273.JPG
    297.9 KB · Views: 149

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Mine have started germinating, 85% of the new seeds have shot up but only 1 seed from last years batch has said hello.....got me worrying now so its gonna be a tense few days!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How is the best way for a beginner with Chillies and Peppers to start. I know this may sound a stupid question but I really would love to grow some in my greenhouse on the allotment, when I have replaced the windows blown out in the Autumn winds, but have absolutely no idea where to start or even buy the seeds other than Wilkinsons etc.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Mine have started germinating, 85% of the new seeds have shot up but only 1 seed from last years batch has said hello.....got me worrying now so its gonna be a tense few days!

Didn't save seed from F1 varieties did you ?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Potted on a few plants today as they were getting too big for the incubation pots! re-sewn Scotch Bonnets and a couple of others that did'nt germinate last time, will be sewing Sweet Peppers (Red, Orange & Green) sometime in early March I think but still undecided about Tomatoes.

Attachments

• DSC00294.JPG
    DSC00294.JPG
    321.6 KB · Views: 194
  • DSC00296.JPG
    DSC00296.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 184

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Potted on a few plants today as they were getting too big for the incubation pots! re-sewn Scotch Bonnets and a couple of others that did'nt germinate last time, will be sewing Sweet Peppers (Red, Orange & Green) sometime in early March I think but still undecided about Tomatoes.

:thumbsup:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
O had some really nice peppers growing outside last year and one weekend every f***ing snail this side of Cairo decended on my back garden and devastated the place.....all the peppers went......some peas, lettuces.

I managed to squish loads of the vicious bastards and I poisened the rest!!!!

onthebeach

Jul 15, 2009
well any growing advice would help me greatly but no technical terms please. i am a novice at this comletely but though i woudl have a go.

i bought one of those plastic small greenhouse things but as it has been cold i have planted my seeds, peppers, cherry tomatoes and basil in trays on my kitchen windowsill at the moment. they are supposed to show within 7-14 days. its 7 days now and nothing as yet. i keep looking at them every day adn makign sure they are moist all the time so hoping for the best really.

must admit i will be disappointed if they dont even come up enough for me to re pot them.

as i say any advice would be welcomed.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
well any growing advice would help me greatly but no technical terms please. i am a novice at this comletely but though i woudl have a go.

i bought one of those plastic small greenhouse things but as it has been cold i have planted my seeds, peppers, cherry tomatoes and basil in trays on my kitchen windowsill at the moment. they are supposed to show within 7-14 days. its 7 days now and nothing as yet. i keep looking at them every day adn makign sure they are moist all the time so hoping for the best really.

must admit i will be disappointed if they dont even come up enough for me to re pot them.

as i say any advice would be welcomed.

Dont even think about putting them outside until mid-late April, need to make sure the last frosts have gone before you doo that. You could however have them outside in the day and bring them in at night...if you can be bothered with that almost everyday of course!
They'll be fine on the windowsill for now, give them the full 14 days to germinate, stretch to 20 if you like as some do germinate alot slower, if nothing then re-sew with fresh seeds and try again.

onthebeach

Jul 15, 2009
Dont even think about putting them outside until mid-late April, need to make sure the last frosts have gone before you doo that. You could however have them outside in the day and bring them in at night...if you can be bothered with that almost everyday of course!
They'll be fine on the windowsill for now, give them the full 14 days to germinate, stretch to 20 if you like as some do germinate alot slower, if nothing then re-sew with fresh seeds and try again.

thanks a lot marc hope they do take first time i would be really made up.:thumbsup:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
looking good THPP, might wanna think about "pinching" nearer April time. Potted mine on yesterday (from seed trays into bigger pots) and completley forgot to sew the sweet pepper seeds :angry: will do them tomorrow night!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here