Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chillies, Toms & Sweet Pepper growing

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Thanks, Marc. I did check out the Suttons website but seems they won't export outside the UK. Will have to try and find an illicit supply of chillies, and lemon grass seeds via my local Chinese restaurant.

Also, I've just planted some seeds I scooped from the fresh pale green chillies they sell around here. Dunno if that'll work though... Maybe they need to have been treated or pre-dried or something? All advice welcome!

would'nt know to be honest, try the forum (link below, you have toi register but its worth it!) as they have a special section for Seeds:
Chillis Galore Forums Index page

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
would'nt know to be honest, try the forum (link below, you have toi register but its worth it!) as they have a special section for Seeds:
Chillis Galore Forums Index page
Thanks for the tip.
Meanwhile, think I've managed to sort something out. Not Suttons, but Dobies - they deliver anywhere within the EU. So have just ordered both their seed varieties:- Chilli Pepper Fatalii, and Capsicum Joe's Long F1. Sounds pretty hot stuff already!! And ordered some lemon grass seeds too. Heaven...

Thanks everyone. Will let you know how it all goes.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
And there was me only planted my chilli seeds last week. No signs of germination yet. Currently on my south east facing window sill, and waiting for some sort of sign of life. Guess I'll be having a very late crop compared to you, Marc.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Off topic but has anyone managed to grow cacti from seed? I've tried twice now and failed.

saslowi

Feb 2, 2009
Off topic but has anyone managed to grow cacti from seed? I've tried twice now and failed.

Sow seeds in a small pot filled with a compost mix of 50% JI No. 1 and 50% grit. Stand pot in tap water to soak the soil then put pot in a plastic bag and seal. Stand in a warm place, about 70F/21C is ideal. Seeds will germinate in 1 to 4 weeks depending on type. Give good light but do not allow them to get scorched by the sun. Keep sealed in bag until big enough to pot on.

For more advise go to the British Cacti and Succulent Society Forum BCSS Discussion Forum :: Discussion Forum

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
Marc, I am amazed that you are already picking peppers particularly as we have had a cold spring,where did you start them off and what type of heating do you have in your mini greenhouse?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Only planted mine at the weekend...albeit in an unheated greenhouse...not expecting them to start showing shoots for at least a couple of weeks.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
You chaps got any tips for a man living in a hot country and wanting to grow his own? The chilli culture isn't exactly big in these parts - the only ones in the shops are long and pale green...

I'd like to grow some of those short-ish red and dark green ones you get to see in Taj Foods and Chinese supermarkets back home.

Suspect I shall need to order by post from somewhere, yes?

I've ordered loads of seeds from eBay with good results. Not used this person before but it's cheap enough to risk it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-g-Bird-Chili-Pepper-Thai-Hottest-Pepper-250-seeds_W0QQitemZ320503893951QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9f854fbf

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
My tomato seedlings are well on their way, but no peek from the Chillies after a couple of weeks.

I know they can often take longer, but I'm a bit worried about the variable temperature in the room I'm growing them, although it gets ample light.

I'm invested in one of those heated propagators and moved the chillies to there.

My radishes, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, chillies, beetroot are all growing well. Planted the seeds a month ago in my potting shed & all the sunshine has spurted great growth.

Most of my veg are growing in pots, that many of them are now outside.

Is there any chance of a frost tonight or in the next few days in Brighton?
Would hate for my crop to come a cropper!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If its the 25th of the month then it must be monthly update time. Yay! Many white flowers, flowering then dropping off. Apart from one that didn't drop off but instead mutated. Having never grown a chilli plant before, THPP cannot work out if the alien green bean with the withered brown crown pictured is the first baby chilli or just a constipated flower. Do any of NSC's resident chilliologists have a diagnosis? WELL? ???

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
thats a chilli Tom!

Some of mine are flowering with the first flower dropped off yesterday to reval the first mini chilli! I Pinched the top off a few species aswell to encourage a more bushy growth.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
thats a chilli Tom!

Some of mine are flowering with the first flower dropped off yesterday to reval the first mini chilli! I Pinched the top off a few species aswell to encourage a more bushy growth.

Cheers Marc :thumbsup:

Apparently my sole chilli will go bright red in due course which is excellent news. Also, some majorly big leaves are coming through and the Winter/Spring leaves are going brown, curling up and dropping off. It's all quite exciting for a chilli newbie like myself! :clap2:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I now have 37 plants! The first 18 I propagated have 6-10 leaves, the next batch have 4-6. It's going to be a spicy winter in the Saville household.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Look!!!

My first ever venture at growing chillis, planted these 2 weeks ago today!

29764_426190850802_516955802_5902533_1229429_n.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here