Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chillies, Toms & Sweet Pepper growing

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
My landlords grow all sorts of things. Their runner beans and sprouts are being attacked by little black bugs. All over the plants! Anygood ways of getting rid of them?

The sprouts are also under attack from caterpillars. Any good tips on that front?

Tanks.

x

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
the usual Bug Spray from garden centres or B&Q is good enough, got rid of my white & green fly problem easily enough the other week.

still cant upload new pics, I'll sort it out tomorrow maybe!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Smashing. We were trying to avoid sprays, but it must be done, I guess!

Are you having trouble with extras on NSC? I can#t see any attachments, I've lost avatars and multiple buttons - edit/new thread/search etc!!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003

Are you having trouble with extras on NSC? I can#t see any attachments, I've lost avatars and multiple buttons - edit/new thread/search etc!!

Make sure when you first spray them they are not in direct sunlight or you'll get spots of damage on the leaves, nothing deadly just looks shit! Mix some garlic up in a water spray bottle and leave overnight then spray on plants, helps to get rid of caterpillars apparently!

hav'nt been able to upload to here or NSP for days, somethings a miss but I see everything else you dont!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
My landlords grow all sorts of things. Their runner beans and sprouts are being attacked by little black bugs. All over the plants! Anygood ways of getting rid of them?

The sprouts are also under attack from caterpillars. Any good tips on that front?

Tanks.

x

I used to use Crop Saver pesticide, it will kill most of your nasties without poisoning the crop

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If you want to be more organic, a dilute spray of washing up liquid really messes up those bugs.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
No not yet but we are going to leave them alone for a while to see if they can manage things.:smile:

Lansdown Nurseries on the 259 at Ferring has a wide selection of chilli plants for sale, I was almost tempted..... especially by one whose peppers incandescence was described as " Variable" :p

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Doesn't have to be done at all. Every year our broad beans, even autumn sown ones, get covered in black fly. They don't cause any lasting damage. I'd rather let the ladybirds take care of them. If you insist on spraying, you could just use a very weak washing up liquid solution instead.

As for the caterpillars. Unless you have hundreds of sprout plants, why not just pick them off yourself ? In future, you could plant verbascum and/or nasturtiums near your sprouts - caterpillars love 'em and will most likely pick those over the sprouts. Failing all that, net the sprouts with fleece, but that's a pain in the arse and looks horrible.

P.S Be careful with nasturtiums. Look lovely, taste nice too, but have a habit of taking over if you let them run to seed.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Sorry. Just seen Vegsters washing up liquid tip too.

cyanide-sid

May 20, 2010
Worthing
Lansdown Nurseries on the 259 at Ferring has a wide selection of chilli plants for sale, I was almost tempted..... especially by one whose peppers incandescence was described as " Variable" :p

I ended up in the chilli recovery tent at the West Dean chilli festival. I had to walk around for 30 minutes with my tongue in a cold yoghurt drink just to numb the pain. I could say 3 or 4 words then I had to dive back in for respite again. Everyone else thought it highly amusing but I didn`t.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Tanks.

x

Loads of organic ones available these days.

Thing about black fly is that you need to deter them. Weak solution of water and washing up liquid in a spray bottle will kill off the current ones without doing the plant or you any harm.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
We did that last year, and fed them to the fish in the pond, now we have monster fish! :annoyed::hilton:

Why not try chucking them in your rhubarb bucket this year instead and watch those aphids really freakout !? Ooooh ahhhhh :hilton:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Why not try chucking them in your rhubarb bucket this year instead and watch those aphids really freakout !? Ooooh ahhhhh :hilton:

The rhubarb mixture is great albeit rather on the nose! Tipping it into the spray pack is a nasty job! :down::clap2:

I have wonderful roses this year, probably more due to the weather than my rhubarb stew, but a few other things are better than last year (when I didn't do the rhubarb) but then again last year weather wise was a different beast...

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Without wishing to hijack Marcs perfectly good pepper thread and turning it into gardeners question time. To get it back on track a bit.......

....anyone on here tried growing AFRICAN marigolds alongside their peppers as a companion plant to stop aphids ? I know it definitely works with french marigolds, or even better still, tagetes, and tomatoes.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I grow Tegetes and since I started that have never had a problem with carrot fly. Still battling with cabbage whites though...not tried Africans though....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here