Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chillies, Toms & Sweet Pepper growing

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Disaster has struck in Tedebear mansions, we bought a little greenhouse and have underestimated the power of the sun on the top shelf, result - all capsicums, beans and cucumbers on top shelf have cooked and died. Round two planted today...

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
What sun? :angry: Its freezing oop north.

PS. does anyone know about using the seeds from butternet squash? Would they work and if so have I left it too late now?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
great shot Tom, gave me the idea to grab the camera and start learning how to use it for close up shots myself!

Pic 1 - NuMex Mirasol
Pic 2 - Spagna
Pic 3 - Ring Of Fire
Pic 4 - Jalapeno
Pic 5 - Chillis left and back, Sweet Peppers on the right

Attachments

• NSC1.jpg
    NSC1.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 168
  • NSC2.jpg
    NSC2.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 172
  • NSC3.jpg
    NSC3.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 168
  • NSC4.jpg
    NSC4.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 171
  • NSC5.jpg
    NSC5.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 167

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Thanks for the tip.
Meanwhile, think I've managed to sort something out. Not Suttons, but Dobies - they deliver anywhere within the EU. So have just ordered both their seed varieties:- Chilli Pepper Fatalii, and Capsicum Joe's Long F1. Sounds pretty hot stuff already!! And ordered some lemon grass seeds too. Heaven...

Thanks everyone. Will let you know how it all goes.
Update - the Cretan sun has been propitious! The lemon grass seeds from Dobies germinated in 4 days and are sprouting nicely. Chillies growing a bit more slowly, so in desperation for a curry fix I cheated and bought some small plants locally. Have just harvested a couple (from flower to monster six-inchers after a month) and they really are centre-of-sun hot.

Capsicum Joes are growing very nicely from seed, but Fatalii seeds seem, well, fatally flawed. Anyone else tried those varieties?

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I'm growing chillis, sweet peppers and general herbs.

The photos are MASSIVE - apologies!!!

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    729.4 KB · Views: 157
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    670.8 KB · Views: 172
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    638.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    580.8 KB · Views: 155

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
quick q from a novice chilli grower - is it too late to plant this year?

got some jalapenos and anchos from some cumbrian chilli place, I have planted them tonight in seed compost and will try to germinate them quickly in the boiler room, then grow them on in the grrenhouse.

but am I too late?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
quick q from a novice chilli grower - is it too late to plant this year?

got some jalapenos and anchos from some cumbrian chilli place, I have planted them tonight in seed compost and will try to germinate them quickly in the boiler room, then grow them on in the grrenhouse.

but am I too late?

I think the accepted wisdom is that you might be too late to plant them in order to get chillis off them this year - tho not too late to get some healthy growth and many flowers. Then prune 'em back over the Winter to give you a head start next year. Marc? Is that about right?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
THPP is happy to report he is now the proud owner of one red hot chilli pepper with another half dozen on the way. Scores of white flowers, most of which go brown and drop off, and the leaves are looking decidely unwell, but the chillis keep on coming - YAY!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
yeah too late to plant and get fruit, but as THPP says you can Overwinter them so you will indeed get a head start next year.
My lot are coming along very nicely, will get some more pics this week

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
gayness, the upload thingy aint working so I'll post some pictures in the week.

Needless to say I've got one red chilli almost ready to be pick, my sweet peppers are coming on in leaps and bounds and I've got growbags for the toms....happy gardening!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
well I'm still unable to upload any pictures so descriptions will have to do for now:

Got a load of chillies from the freezer (last years crop) and threaded some fishing line through them to make a Drying string, stuck them in the greenhouse and checking on them alot. Any mouldy ones get thrown away but the rest should dry out enough to be cut finely into powder. You can dry them in an oven on a low heat but I wanted to try the natural way first.

Chillies as a whole are coming on bloody nicely, a few red ones now, the Spagna and Hot Marbles look excellent. Yellow Bhut Jolokias have started to fruit.
Sweet Peppers are flying along, got some really tasty big ones on the go so wont be long before i'm consuming them!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
My mini sweet peppers are flowing nicely as are all the tomatoes. Some we grew from plants are full of fruit.

Also the peppers from plants are growing nicely and the ones from seed just starting to flower

However, on a variety of plum tomato a first few have appear (from research) to be suffering from blossom end rot, doesn't appear to be blight.

Any idea how to ensure the rest of the fruit survive ? I've read it's a calcium deficiency.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
yeah my plums suffered from that last year, not sure how to deal with it though sorry

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
All my stuff is outside but it seems to be going well, the toms are starting to fruit.

Raspberries have been MASSIVE this year, they love the cha;ky soil. So do the goosegogs.

Have also planted a josberry bush which I think is a gooseberry/blackcurrant cross, but grows very high, almost like a proper bush. Very vigorous, fruit a bit of an acquired taste though.

Only just got some late runners in, I put up the sticks about a month ago but couldn't find any plants until now..

PS for fruit-picking recomment Dymock Farm outside Seaford en route to Eastbourne. Cheap and friendly.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I am also growing globe artichokes, although the blackfly seem to love it.

My efforts (tomatoes and sugar snap peas)

Attachments

• tom.JPG
    tom.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 67
  • sugarsnap.JPG
    sugarsnap.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here