Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chillies, Toms & Sweet Pepper growing

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
yeah I'd start preparing to Overwinter that plant soon Tom, I'm saving one or two Spagnas, you certainly wont get any fruit on it this year I dont think.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
yeah I'd start preparing to Overwinter that plant soon Tom, I'm saving one or two Spagnas, you certainly wont get any fruit on it this year I dont think.

Does 'overwintering' need me do actually do anything Marc, or will the chilli plant sort it out for itself?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Thanks for that - my son's chilli plant produced just two (very mild but quite sizeable) chillis this year, but it has sparked an interest. His chilli is quite small - maybe 12 inches high - assume we can just keep that on a window sill and keep it moist through the winter.

Will check out the overwintering site - but thanks for all the help on this thread this year. [edit: checked and it answers the above - ta]

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This month.

I have mostly been.

Trimming my bush.

chilli28thnovember003.jpg

Let the wintering begin! :thumbsup:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not too much in the way of hot chilli action to report since last month, has to be said - though one of the chillies seems to have sprouted earlier than the others... :xmas:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
TRHK Jnr has been given some chilli seeds for christmas and a chilli growing book. He's now planning to grow the Dorset one (hottest in the world apparently), the one they use for Tabasco and one slightly less insane one.

Question - can we plant now if they are growing inside? Thanks for the advice.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
TRHK Jnr has been given some chilli seeds for christmas and a chilli growing book. He's now planning to grow the Dorset one (hottest in the world apparently), the one they use for Tabasco and one slightly less insane one.

Question - can we plant now if they are growing inside? Thanks for the advice.

Dorest Naga are f***ing hot, Tabasco are not amazinly hot though still good!

yes if you want chillies by June then now is a good time to sow, I'm gonna start mine next week or the week after.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Cheers Marc. Dorset Naga - those are the ones he has! I spotted the bloke that grows them on Hugh F-W's programme over Xmas. Michael Michaud, who bred the Dorset Naga, is the bearded American chap who helps Hugh out with advice on growing veg.

michaelmichaud.jpg

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Chap down the allotment I am told is an expert on chillies and he told me that the hottest is one that is grown in Thailand reaches 125 whatever it is measured in ,so must ask him about this Dorset one, not disputing that it may be the hottest available but would like to know as I want to grow some in my greenhouse this year. That is when the pains have been replaced that got blown out in the strong winds.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Bensgrandad - here is the list of the hot and not so hot from an interesting article in the Times Online ( http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article700700.ece )

"The world’s hottest chilli pepper does not come from a tropical hot spot where the locals are impervious to its fiery heat but a smallholding in deepest Dorset."

Scoville Heat Units:
US Police-grade pepper spray: 5m
Dorset Naga: 923,000
Red Savina habanero: 577,000
Scotch bonnet: 100,000-325,000
Jamaican hot pepper: 100,000-200,000
Cayenne pepper: 30,000-50,000
Jalapeno pepper: 2,500-8,000
Tabasco sauce: 2,500
Pimento: 100 to 500
Bell pepper: 0

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
THRK many thanks for that. I dont know what or from where he got his figure of 125 but it is the old story if the person you are talking to knows nothing about a subject you can bullshit and appear to be an expert.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
* * 2010 * *

woohoo another year another Chilli Batch to grow, decided against Tomatoes this year as I kinda failed with them (although got a few decent ones) and no sweet peppers just full on chillis, ordered the following seeds yesterday:
Yellow Bhut Jolokia - f***ing hot!
yellowbhutjolokiaseeds.jpg

Hot Marbles - medium to hot
hot_ch58.jpg

NuMex Mirasol - medium
hot_ch30.jpg

The last two are good ornamental plants and theres already a plan to put these by the new Groundsman Sheds at SCCC, so if you come to a match this season and see the Chillis there in the late Summer they are MINE...Do Not Touch :p

I'll probably sow Jamaican Bell, Scotch Bonnet, Ring Of Fire & Spagna again as last year. Wont be doing as many plants though as I still have 3 large tuppaware tubs FULL of chillies in the freezer! so maybe just 2-3 of each type then have done with it.
Last year I sewed early Feb iirc but this year a touch earlier, maybe even this weekend, as ever full pics and details will be posted in here JUST BECAUSE I CAN :lolol:

Good Luck to all 2010 Chilli Growers!

THPP, yours still going ok?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
* * 2010 * *

woohoo another year another Chilli Batch to grow, decided against Tomatoes this year as I kinda failed with them (although got a few decent ones) and no sweet peppers just full on chillis, ordered the following seeds yesterday:
Yellow Bhut Jolokia - f***ing hot!
yellowbhutjolokiaseeds.jpg

Hot Marbles - medium to hot
hot_ch58.jpg

NuMex Mirasol - medium
hot_ch30.jpg

The last two are good ornamental plants and theres already a plan to put these by the new Groundsman Sheds at SCCC, so if you come to a match this season and see the Chillis there in the late Summer they are MINE...Do Not Touch :p

I'll probably sow Jamaican Bell, Scotch Bonnet, Ring Of Fire & Spagna again as last year. Wont be doing as many plants though as I still have 3 large tuppaware tubs FULL of chillies in the freezer! so maybe just 2-3 of each type then have done with it.
Last year I sewed early Feb iirc but this year a touch earlier, maybe even this weekend, as ever full pics and details will be posted in here JUST BECAUSE I CAN :lolol:

Good Luck to all 2010 Chilli Growers!

THPP, yours still going ok?

Oooh, I must follow this thread more carefully. Where did you ge your seeds from?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Seeds from here, nice and cheap and they do Packs of various kinds aswell which is cool:
http://www.chileseeds.co.uk/

Good sites for info:
growing chilli peppers thechileman.org - lots of info
Chillis Galore - Great Forums, you have to register but its worth it for the info on practically everything from cooking to planting etc.

I'm not a beginner to grow your own (I grown Tomatoes, Cucumbers, peppers in the green house each year) but which would you recommend for me to try from seed? The 1st link do a pack containing:

Chilli Seeds Starter Pack

10 seeds of each: ring of fire, jalapeno and orange habanero only £2

Worth a go?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I'm not a beginner to grow your own (I grown Tomatoes, Cucumbers, peppers in the green house each year) but which would you recommend for me to try from seed? The 1st link do a pack containing:

Chilli Seeds Starter Pack

10 seeds of each: ring of fire, jalapeno and orange habanero only £2

Worth a go?

yeah RoF & Jalapenos are easy enough to grow, Habaneros are not too bad either so that sounds good to me. Nest to start off with easy growing ones then move onto the more harder ones the next year once you know what you're doing as some Chillies can be tricky, Tabasco for me over two years I got less than 10 fruits from it!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here