Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Child Abuse in the Catholic Church

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I don’t think any one is disputing that Catholic priests are the only ones abusing young children and that as human beings they are as flawed as the rest of us. But when Scout masters, teachers, prison officers etc. get caught they are then subject to the due process of the law, It seems that the Authorities in Ireland and Germany were quite happy to let the Catholic Church deal with this under canon law. Why are these individuals not hauled in front of the courts, why are they above the law. The RC church believes that they will be judged and dealt with by god – well that is not good enough for those of us who are not religious; we need to see them dealt with here on earth.

The other thing which rather grates is the way that the RC Church has continued to preach and moralise at the rest of the world whilst all this has been going on. The Catholic Church is unlikely to be in any sort of position to moralise for a very long time to come. They may also need to redefine “papal infallibility”.

To a degree I am in agreement but the Catholic Church does not preach and moralise to the rest of the world just Catholics. However that in itself annoys me. The fact that so many overpopulated countries had predominantly Catholic is a factor. Mind you the Godless Heathern Chinese have a the biggest over population problem.

Dandyman

In London village.
To a degree I am in agreement but the Catholic Church does not preach and moralise to the rest of the world just Catholics. However that in itself annoys me. The fact that so many overpopulated countries had predominantly Catholic is a factor. Mind you the Godless Heathern Chinese have a the biggest over population problem.

The Bishop of Rome try to tell us what to do in our own country ? Never happen would it...

BBC News - Pope Benedict criticises UK equality legislation

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
yes thats exactly what has been happening. or rather, people haven't even gone to the police because its been hushed up within the church. there is no investigation and the abuser has continued for years. oneday someone does step forward and take it further and the history comes out of the wood work.

maybe you are missing whats in the papers, where this history is coming out more and more. did you miss the apology on the subject? they are acknowledging finally they have a long standing and wide reaching problem. Or are you in denial still?

You realise you could be describing the Royal family there?

It's an even more untouchable ancient institution.

Not neccesarily in regards to paedos(im sure its occured) but actions that are well and truly on par with its seriousness.

I hope all the dodgy priests get jailed as they should.

But it does irk me when one organisation is singled out while others with an equally murky history are given a free pass.

That's true denial.

Last edited:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The point I was trying to make is that The Catholic Church can be blamed for a lot of things but they are not alone. I am not religious I grant you but I know that a great many people get a lot from their faith, whatever it may be.

They are a soft target is why.

People can say what they like about them and they'll not sue you nor dictate that their followers attack you.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
But he would have been all holy about it and all would have been sorted out. Big Benno is going all weird and crazy like we are in the 1200s still which makes it worse.

He was head of a church that tried to keep it all in-house and swept under the carpet. Protect the name of the church and look after the abusers rather than the innocent victims. Shameful.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
The ironic thing in all this religous bashing is that the MAJORITY of ALL child abuse takes place in the family home (We studied this in 1st year of uni-sorry i haven't got a link to the evidence cos i'm at work) . But i won't let that evidence get in the way of you bashing the church over one twat from 1950.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I think the kids go to church just to entice the priests. It's the kids I blame.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You realise you could be describing the Royal family there?

It's an even more untouchable ancient institution.

Not neccesarily in regards to paedos(im sure its occured) but actions that are well and truly on par with its seriousness.

I hope all the dodgy priests get jailed as they should.

But it does irk me when one organisation is singled out while others with an equally murky history are given a free pass.

That's true denial.

thats an interesting stretch. I know the Royals have been up to no good from time to time, but i dont recall peadophilla an issue. If you still dont understand: the church is supposed to a) protect the weak and vulnerable b) provide moral bedrock on guidance. thats why they are singled out, because they try to give the impression of being beyond reproach.

The ironic thing in all this religous bashing is that the MAJORITY of ALL child abuse takes place in the family home (We studied this in 1st year of uni-sorry i haven't got a link to the evidence cos i'm at work) . But i won't let that evidence get in the way of you bashing the church over one twat from 1950.

you seem to keep banging that drum, i saw your extensive stats on the issue elsewhere. firstly, majority of all *reported* cases, secondly if a preist is fiddling with the kids in an orphanage, doesnt that count as "in the family home"? you think its one twat from the 1950s? you obviously arent paying attention.

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Apart from the shere unpleasantness of any child abuse the Church, any church, you have the right to expect them to be above sin of any kind. That is the biggest thing. However the fact that (even if it was just one time which clearly is isn't) the Catholic church has deliberately tried to hush the matter up. That is just as bad as the crime itself.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
If you believe that - there is little point in discussing it.

I think that's Derby's, problem he does. I attempted yesterday to get him to see what is in his face but alas to no avail. Unfortunately I have found that people that have been "brain washed" and are devout Catholics, they are like talking to people that just can not reason and the Catholic Church is worse than a lot of sects.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
I think that's Derby's, problem he does. I attempted yesterday to get him to see what is in his face but alas to no avail. Unfortunately I have found that people that have been "brain washed" and are devout Catholics, they are like talking to people that just can not reason and the Catholic Church is worse than a lot of sects.

Like BHA Express i am not a practising catholic (lapsed, what ever you wanna call it, in fact i'm proably more secular than catholic). I'm not sure if he has totally washed his hands of the religion, i can't remember what he said. Any way i'm divulging. Alot of my family and loved ones are devout catholics so that's why i'll always jump to it's defence. Everyone to do with the church are gutted about all this, and any cover ups should be exposed and those guilty brought to justice. But this thread and these media stories have detracted from the good things that come from the church and now the whole thing has become a vilification on the church as a whole.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here