Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Child Abuse in the Catholic Church

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
You're generalising that the Catholic church harbours criminals 'of the highest order'- with NO evidence to back it up.

You provided some two-bob website (not an official government stats one, something of which UNI's mark you down on, cos anyone can make things up then publish them).]

So you believe official government stats? Thanks for that. I'm 42 a Licensed Aircraft Engineer, a Personal Licensee (pub) Have plenty of qualifications and no need to go back to uni!!!.

As you say anyone can make things up and then publish them . Ask this government.

As far no evidence of a cover up, I take you do not see the news or virtually all the broadsheet newspapers then?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Do you honestly see no problem with the way it is set out? Good grief. :wozza:

how its set out? so you dont like the style of writing or the point it makes? i cant say i have a problem with either, bit heavy handed on the opener, but thats to grab ones attention. but theres nothing wrong with the logic (you'd have done better to counter there are other communities that behave irrationally) or the journalism (theres nothing false and its presented as a opinion piece).

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I find it quite unnerving that a reverend as yourself, you should think the above quote is worthy of any kind of good thoughts.

Quite. Also it is thought that (notice I have't put fact) many many more have abused but their abused have been quietened!!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I don’t think any one is disputing that Catholic priests are the only ones abusing young children and that as human beings they are as flawed as the rest of us. But when Scout masters, teachers, prison officers etc. get caught they are then subject to the due process of the law, It seems that the Authorities in Ireland and Germany were quite happy to let the Catholic Church deal with this under canon law. Why are these individuals not hauled in front of the courts, why are they above the law. The RC church believes that they will be judged and dealt with by god – well that is not good enough for those of us who are not religious; we need to see them dealt with here on earth.

The other thing which rather grates is the way that the RC Church has continued to preach and moralise at the rest of the world whilst all this has been going on. The Catholic Church is unlikely to be in any sort of position to moralise for a very long time to come. They may also need to redefine “papal infallibility”.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
You're generalising that the Catholic church harbours criminals 'of the highest order'- with NO evidence to back it up.

You provided some two-bob website (not an official government stats one, something of which UNI's mark you down on, cos anyone can make things up then publish them).]

So you believe official government stats? Thanks for that. I'm 42 a Licensed Aircraft Engineer, a Personal Licensee (pub) Have plenty of qualifications and no need to go back to uni!!!.

As you say anyone can make things up and then publish them . Ask this government.

As far no evidence of a cover up, I take you do not see the news or virtually all the broadsheet newspapers then?

I'm not saying you need to go back to uni PM. But you do need to find CREDIBLE websites to back up your arguments.

I'm not questioning your intelligence am i, but you are CLEARLY ignoring the FACT that child abuse goes on EVERYWHERE, sad and sick and depraved as it is (and child abusers are the scum of the earth), it does go on every where. More than you would like to think. And if you compare the Catholic church to EVERYWHERE else that abuses child it seriously does PALE in SIGNIFICANCE. All Child abusers per se, should be be punished, Catholics and ALL.:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I'm not saying you need to go back to uni PM. But you do need to find CREDIBLE websites to back up your arguments.

I'm not questioning your intelligence am i, but you are CLEARLY ignoring the FACT that child abuse goes on EVERYWHERE, sad and sick and depraved as it is (and child abusers are the scum of the earth), it does go on every where. More than you would like to think. And if you compare the Catholic church to EVERYWHERE else that abuses child it seriously does PALE in SIGNIFICANCE. All Child abusers per se, should be be punished, Catholics and ALL.:

Read and digest Lyndhurst's post

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I don’t think any one is disputing that Catholic priests are the only ones abusing young children and that as human beings they are as flawed as the rest of us. But when Scout masters, teachers, prison officers etc. get caught they are then subject to the due process of the law, It seems that the Authorities in Ireland and Germany were quite happy to let the Catholic Church deal with this under canon law. Why are these individuals not hauled in front of the courts, why are they above the law. The RC church believes that they will be judged and dealt with by god – well that is not good enough for those of us who are not religious; we need to see them dealt with here on earth.

The other thing which rather grates is the way that the RC Church has continued to preach and moralise at the rest of the world whilst all this has been going on. The Catholic Church is unlikely to be in any sort of position to moralise for a very long time to come. They may also need to redefine “papal infallibility”.

Top Post IMHO

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....

Excellent post. Sums it all up. :thumbsup:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
:yawn: :yawn: Go and read the bible you boring man.

Firstly I have read the bible thank you. Secondly why am I boring?

I question the recent/past events that is all. I can reason, where apparently you can not. You insult me, I have not insulted you.

If, young man you are at "uni" may I suggest joining a debating society. You learn that you can debate without the need to resort to insults. Its civilised and can even be adult. Finally grow up, question everything in life, it may help and form you own reasoned arguments not one placed there for you.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
Firstly I have read the bible thank you. Secondly why am I boring?

I question the recent/past events that is all. I can reason, where apparently you can not. You insult me, I have not insulted you.

If, young man you are at "uni" may I suggest joining a debating society. You learn that you can debate without the need to resort to insults. Its civilised and can even be adult. Finally grow up, question everything in life, it may help and form you own reasoned arguments not one placed there for you.

Ok, PM, sorry about the insults, it's getting late, and alot of people are still church bashing and it's getting a bit tiresome, some of you, alot of you, choose to ignore that the church and other religions and indeed alot of NON-RELIGOUS out fits do alot of good in this world, but there are bad apples all around us. That's just life.

Thanking you and good night :bigwave:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Several years ago when child abuse reared its ugly head it was admitted that priests not being able to marry could well be the reason that child abuse resulted.It was then stated that the reason that priests were not allowed to marry came about because it was cheaper to have single men rather than a married family man. I quite expected that this situation would be normalised for the benifit of all,instead members of the faith have been advised to fast to put matters right.

That makes no sense whatsoever.

By not being able to get married turns you into a paedophile?

What a f***ing stupid theory.

If they were that hard up for a root they'd go use prostitutes, another group priests would come in contact with during their working in the community.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

:yawn: :yawn: Go and read the bible you boring man.

Why, is that a book of fact or fiction?

In an ideal word YES.

But since ALL humans are NOT INFALLIBLE then your answer would be NO. :thumbsup:
Those Catholics (if you can call them that) that do abuse are going to HELL :thumbsup:

That is only a consolation if their victims are still believers in God. Otherwise they would prefer to see them serve out the rest of their days locked up.

The big problem with this issue is not with catholics but with the hierachy of their church. It seems at all levels, abusers have been protected, not for the benefit of their victims and not even for their own benefit but to protect the name of the church. Today it even seems that the current pope has done exactly the same and as a result condemned the victims. Why is this worse than the other statistics about abuse? Because those very same priests, bishops, cardinals and popes set themselves out to be morally superior to everyone.

I can only say thank god that I have no god.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I must be missing something here.

Are people saying if someone goes to the Police about a Priest they won't investigate and prosecute?

This has occured and they have gone to jail.

The whole premice of protecting "paedophiles" surely has to be (in some cases) based on heresay alone because without charges/prosecution there's no actual proof an accused is guilty until they have their day in court.

Just like there are paedophiles in our communities, there's also plenty of people who cry wolf for whatever reasons they may have.

I just think for the amount of coverage this gets the lack of constant mention of actual police and courts seems to be overlooking something I would have thought was vital in any of these kinds of investigations.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
I'm sure it would love to have 0%, but do you honestly think that is ever going to happen in ANY organisation that employs hundreds of thousands of HUMAN BEINGS? Good grief.

Yes, I would expect an organisation preaching morality to have 0%. That's why people are so disgusted and so angry - these people are in positions of trust and moral standing.

You should really stop suggesting that this is blown out of proportion as well. The 2004 John Jay report, commissioned by Catholic bishops estimated that between 1.5% and 5% of catholic clergy (from 1950-2004) in the US had been involved in sexual abuse cases. Substantiated cases, I might add. Even if you ignore the nature of the clergy's job, that figure is high. Do you reckon any other profession could have 5 out of 100 of its members known to have been involved in child abuse? I think not.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
I must be missing something here.

Are people saying if someone goes to the Police about a Priest they won't investigate and prosecute?

This has occured and they have gone to jail.

The whole premice of protecting "paedophiles" surely has to be (in some cases) based on heresay alone because without charges/prosecution there's no actual proof an accused is guilty until they have their day in court.

Just like there are paedophiles in our communities, there's also plenty of people who cry wolf for whatever reasons they may have.

I just think for the amount of coverage this gets the lack of constant mention of actual police and courts seems to be overlooking something I would have thought was vital in any of these kinds of investigations.

Abusers may not have been convicted, but that doesn't make them innocent. Equally, it doesn't make them guilty either, but as far as I'm aware the figures for reporting sexual abuse remain unbelievably low for reasons of stigma. Do I think there are even a moderate number of cases where children or parents accuse Clergy of abuse without reason, I think not

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

yes thats exactly what has been happening. or rather, people haven't even gone to the police because its been hushed up within the church. there is no investigation and the abuser has continued for years. oneday someone does step forward and take it further and the history comes out of the wood work.

maybe you are missing whats in the papers, where this history is coming out more and more. did you miss the apology on the subject? they are acknowledging finally they have a long standing and wide reaching problem. Or are you in denial still?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It is not the number of perpertrators that is important here, it is the number of victims which adds up to the hundreds in the case of just one accused so far.

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
It's not just the abusing priests. Allegedly the Pope (when he was known as Cardinal Ratzinger in Germany) helped to cover up these crimes of abuse in the US by failing to report them even though he (allegedly) knew about them.

And then he has the cheek to spout off about moral values. f***ing hypocrit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here