Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chelsea vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I’m wondering if we’ll now see more teams attack us at the Amex rather than just spoil for draws - we are a bit of a mess at the back
I think 70% of teams in this league would think a draw decent enough at our place. What they will be doing is licking their lips at the prospect of the home match.
I agree about the high line, but I think this is a philosophical thing and knew it would happen hence expecting a heavy loss. He has to change that when playing such quick opposition.
Yup. There's a high a line and there is playing on the half way line. All for the former but the latter needs reigning in a tad.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
This style really doesn't suit Dunk either.
Does it.

He's going to get done for pace consistently.

Something is going to have to give.
He looks panicked to me. He knows he is up against it. Our defence must feel under such pressure whereas under RDZ they looked like Buddhist monks.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We as fans NEED a scapegoat, today it was Webster but Dunky is coming up on the rails now :wink:
We got ripped apart under RDZ sometimes and it was never his fault, at least FH is accepting that things need tweeking
He also got us to Europe with some of the best football we’ve witnessed as Albion fans. Whatever people think he’s a top class manager regardless.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
This style really doesn't suit Dunk either.
Does it.

He's going to get done for pace consistently.

Something is going to have to give.
We haven’t got the personnel to play it and the premier league is a lot less forgiving . We were better in the second half when we kept a bit of cover when cover forward

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Who’s to blaming for him having to make two goal line clearances?

He was at fault for one but let’s talk about Bart beaten at the near post, Carlos not getting goal side and giving away two penalties in a week, Pervis no where near Palmer for the first.

Or how about the dangerous high line which made us drop 2 points at home to Forest but despite this we thought it would be ok against speed merchants sancho and Jackson being fed by palmer

Quite a bit wrong I’d say and it’s not just a mistake by Webster

Yep agreed but do I actually have to explain to you that Webster’s mistake CHANGED THE GAME?
We were controlling things. Their crowd were getting restless, they were struggling to keep the ball. The equaliser changed all that.

Webster is an absolute liability.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
He also got us to Europe with some of the best football we’ve witnessed as Albion fans. Whatever people think he’s a top class manager regardless.
Agreed and then he threw his toys out of the pram after his mate had his trousers down in Rome. Lost interest letting his ego run amok and a manager who does that deserves no respect from me.

Club comes before an egotistical manager but yes the good times were very good

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Yep agreed but do I actually have to explain to you that Webster’s mistake CHANGED THE GAME?
We were controlling things. Their crowd were getting restless, they were struggling to keep the ball. The equaliser changed all that.

Webster is an absolute liability.
Webster is not the reason we lost this game. They were better than us, our tactics were wrong and we scored only thanks to two dreadful errors from Sanchez. He did fine - even quite well given what he was asked to do - except for that mistake. Wieffer, Pervis, Kadioğlu were no better.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I

I said c£40m but Rutter was £40m. Then £25-30m was minteh, weiffer, gruda, kadioglu, O'Reilly. For our level they should all be up to speed and starting. Tbh, I was also thinking Pedro but that was last season.
That's not the way of football these days. Players take time to bed in and for the sums you mention you do not get PL class by a long way. Quality proven PL players under 30 will not be on their way to Brighton. Their salaries are way beyond our range.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We got ripped apart under RDZ sometimes and it was never his fault, at least FH is accepting that things need tweeking

Last season, especially from February, RDZ was under relentless criticism here. Some bordering on conspiratorial hatred that he’d spent the season trying to destroy our club.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Webster is not the reason we lost this game. They were better than us, our tactics were wrong and we scored only thanks to two dreadful errors from Sanchez. He did fine - even quite well given what he was asked to do - except for that mistake. Wieffer, Pervis, Kadioğlu were no better.
I give up.

He is the only reason that a jittery looking Chelsea got back into a game that up until then they were second best in.
Sport at any level is about momentum, we literally gave it back to them.
It’s not like this is out of the blue is it? He’s been making these mistakes for years now, he’s not good enough.
When the team came out JP being out and Webster in were met with equal groans around me.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Contemplated things on the stroll back to Victoria.......too toxic on here to put my thoughts down so not going to bother. Six games with a new squad. 😞:nono:

I think there is plenty of time and games to improve things. Everything is still new, the manager, half the players, the style etc. I really believe they’ll all improve with league experience.

It’s frustrating in the meantime though and I don’t think pretending we were good is any help really. The two offsides, when you see them on tv, were a lot closer than they looked - this could def have been much worse.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think there is plenty of time and games to improve things. Everything is still new, the manager, half the players, the style etc. I really believe they’ll all improve with league experience.

It’s frustrating in the meantime though and I don’t think pretending we were good is any help really. The two offsides, when you see them on tv, were a lot closer than they looked - this could def have been much worse.
Who's pretending?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Signings on paper are different to signings on grass. Shock for some on NSC. Of the new players so far Minteh has no touch or decision making, Weiffer is a headless chicken, Kadioglu looks exactly like a player who has five different positions instead of one, O’Riley is half dead and Gruder is a ghost.

That just leaves Rutter, the one I was most worried about, who has been improving but is still no Pedro.

I know we need to give them time and FH too, but the starting base is a lot lower than I’d hoped.
But we are only 6 games into the new season with most (if not all of our new signings) having never played in the Prem before. They have to be given time. A year ago I thought Baleba looked pretty useless but a year on he looks a really decent addition. Mitoma and Adingra also took time to adjust.

I'm afraid people have just got to be a bit patient, give them time to adapt and adjust. We would have been incredibly lucky if all the new players hit the ground running.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here